STDs Community
Syphilis question

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Syphilis question

I am a RN in the ER and have been for seven years. Recently my boyfriend of 4 years cheated on me and contracted Syphilis in turn I also got the STI. My RPR initially was 1:4 in which I got my dose of penicillin, being a RN I researched the testing and found that FTA-ABS testing is recommended to confirm a positive RPR. Two weeks after getting treatment I retested myself at a different lab and my FTA-ABS was positive and my RPR had gone from 1:4 to 1:16. In my reading I found that test results can very by two dilutions, but what I can't seem to find online is how often one should test their RPR after having being treated to confirm that treatment was sucessful, and I was also thinking of  getting a second dose of Penicillin just to be sure that the infection has cleared. I am HIV neg as is my ex partner and the person he was with. Any information you could share on this would be appreciated.
The 1:4 to 1:16 is showing that medication has worked. You may have a positive test for years and years but wehn you see that number decrease it means it has been treated.
When I first tested three weeks ago the RPR was 1:4 two weeks after treatment I retested myself and the RPR was 1:16. That is why I am wondering if the penicillin was ineffective but I read that dilution can very by two dilutions depending on the lab.
Question answered above. Number went down.