STDs Community
Wart recurrence

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Wart recurrence

In mid-late February I was diagnosed with genital warts.  I had some around the vaginal opening (they are all external) removed with TCA acid and the ones on the lips were not treated.  I waited for 3 weeks as advised by my doctor, and returned, and clusters more had developed all over the vulva.  Since more had developed I was told to use aldara cream 3x a week for six weeks.  I would return to my doctor in six weeks, and whatever was left over he would laser off.  While using the cream did clear some of the warts, I'm in my fourth week and about 3 more have popped up and not all of them are gone.  I had to see my GP today just for a urinary tract infection (and she insisted on doing a pelvic exam for some reason?) and she seemed very concerned that I still had visible warts and told me I should return to my gyno immediately.  Currently, I have about 10 warts, and judging by the way I'm itching, I feel like I may develop a few more :(

I know a great deal about low risk HPV infection, but there are a few members on this board that seem very knowledgeable, so I'm interested in what you have to say.  When I first acquired this, I figured I'd probably have to wait a year or so on average for this to clear up and to safely have sex again without worrying so severely about transmitting it.  Are 3 more warts popping up a few months later (in conjunction with the ones that haven't resolved) a really bad sign that this will be an infection that plagues me for more like 24 months opposed to the normal, average 6-8 months it takes to clear?  This just seems like it's going to be a lot more long-term than I had previously imagined.  Also, I'm not sure if anyone would have the answer to this, but has having the UTI (for four months now, I have frequent uti's that are resistant to most antibiotics, I had this problem before I acquired the sti) screwed up my immune system too much and not allowing my body to fight or "clear" the hpv virus?

I'm just really discouraged upon finding these new warts, and a little alarmed by my general practitioner's reaction to my warts.  I'm not sure if I should see my gynecologist earlier as she advised, or just finish the aldara treatment.

I know there may be no clear answer, but is there anyway to tell if my infection will be a persistent one?  The last time I saw my doctor and asked about this, he said he didn't see this being a long-term problem for me.  But I'm just not sure what to believe anymore...
There isn't any way to tell if its going to be a long term infection, and what you describe isn't all that unusual.

You might try posting this in the HPV forum.

I'm wondering more about the UTIs you keep getting.  Are they actually finding bacteria in your urine, or just blood or just basing it on symptoms?  

AJ
I'm glad to hear it's not particularly atypical.

They keep finding bacteria in the urine, but the cultures can't be developed (nor have they EVER been able to be) because of something with the bacteria being too abnormal.  Because of this they can't test which antibiotic will work best, so I'm stuck with this.  I started having this problem long before I became sexually active, for some reason my body builds a resistant to many antibiotics.
Have you been to a urologist?  I've never heard of a culture not being able to develop.

I wish I could help more.  You might also try the urology forum here.

AJ
Unfortunately the urologist is booked for months, so I can't see one immediately.  But yes, I have seen a few urologists over the years for urinary problems and have even had a couple cystoscopy's done.  I've been talking to Vanessa Lacuesta, MD over at the urology forum, she said to get the results of the culture and go from there, but unfortunately a culture has never been able to be successfully developed :(.
Wow that stinks.  :(

Good luck!