STDs Community
What is Mycoplasma Genitalia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

What is Mycoplasma Genitalia?

Does anyone know what Mycoplasma Genitalia is? Does it affect women and is it common? How is it usually treated and diagnosed? What are the symptoms? I feel as though I may have it as I've been having a tingling sensation in my vaginal area and have tested negative for all STD's, yeast infection and just finished Flagyl for BV. Thanks!
Mycoplasma Genitalium is the correct spelling, just put that into google and you'll find lots of answers.  But briefly:

1) A bacterial infection.

2) Affects men and women, somewhat less common than something like chlamydia but not rare.

3) Treated with antibiotics.  

Diagnosed with a culture or a PCR urine/swab test.
http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labcorp/html/chapter/mono/vm003300.htm

Other labs can also test for this, Quest can send samples to the UAB mycoplasma lab.
http://www.mycoplasma.uab.edu/intro.htm

3) Similar symptoms to chlamydia in women (possible discharge, burning on urination, abdominal pain, etc)

4) I'm not sure a "tingling" would be a typical symptom, do you have reason to suspect you might have recently acquired an infection?
Well I had unprotected sex on April 11th and have been tested for everything. I came back positive for chlamydia and was treated with 1g single dose of azithromyocin which took care of it. Now my cultures sometimes come back positive for BV and sometimes negative for BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). I don't have a constant tingling sensation, no discharge, no burning on urination and no abdominal pain. Like for a few seconds throughout a day I get a tingly feeling, sort of a tickle. I read about Mycoplasma Genitalium but wasn't tested for it as I guess my GYN doctor doesn't see it as being common. Would the 1g of azithromyocin have taken care of it, I was also on flagyl and clindomyocin. Thanks.
To say it is very common, no, to say it is commonly tested for, no....

To say that you should suspect it.....  Heck yea, we all want to be healthy.
If you find a resolution to your tingling, please let me know as I also get tingling off and on.  I know I was exposed to hsv2 but have not had a + result.  I'm still in limbo on whether it could be that.  
So did you find something to cure the tingling feeling?
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers