STDs Community
chlamydia eye infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

chlamydia eye infection

About 5 weeks ago I had vaginal swabs taken which tested postive for Chlamydia.  This was treated with Zithromax 1gram.  Yesterday I picked my daughter up from nursery and noticed that she had an eye infection - red eye with watery discharge.  Took her to the doctor where they diagnosed conjunctivitus and prescribed her an antibiotic eye ointment.  My concern is that although I'm normally very good with hand hygiene I may still have managed to spread the chlamydia bacteria to her eye causing this infection.  My doctor says it's unlikely.  My daughter has a cold and the doctor has put it down to germs coming from her cold infecting her eye and says I'm just very sensitive to the whole STD situation at the min and I'm worrying myself unecessarily.  She may have a point!  I have self diagnosed myself with every kind of STD under the sun in the past few weeks and have been worrying myself sick but I still have little faith in my doctor's at the min due to their inability to take any of my concern's seriously  (I have been worried that I may also have gonnorhea (Gonorrhea), I know if you've been exposed to one STD there's every possibility that you may have another and I feel that I have an abnormal discharge at the min but my doctor refuses to do anything for me until 6 weeks after completing the Zithromax.  They won't even give me an internal examination to look for any signs of infection and I feel that even if they couldn't take swabs because of me recently taking antibiotics they could have at least done this but they won't look near me and I'm getting very stressed over the whole thing!)  So it is because of this that I've looked elsewhere for advice - how possible is it for me to have infected my daughter in this way?  If it was a chlamydia eye infection is there any symptoms that would differentiate it from other forms of bacterial eye infection or are they all much the same? And lastly, if worse comes to worse and this is being caused by chlamydia, how is treated?  Would the clomitrazole oinment that she's getting at the minute be enough to treat it?  I'm worried and feeling very guilty that I may have caused this for her.  I just want to make sure that she's getting the right treatment and get's this cleared up!
sorry!my mistake!She's not being treated with clomitrazole oinment.  I'm getting my different medication's confused!  Its Chloramphenicol 1% ointment.
Your anxiety over this is now affecting your daughter too.   Time to get it under better control!!!

You absolutely, positively did not transmit chlamydia to your daughter's eye!!!  You treated it effectively and whatever is going on now for you isn't due to chlamydia as we already discussed in your other post on this.  

your daughter has a cold. pink eye/conjunctivitis goes hand and hand with it.

grace
Thank you! I appreciate that I must sound completely nuts but its hard not to worry especially when I'm having such a hard time getting answers to my questions from people that are suppose to be professionals (meaning my doctors)!  I just got this notion in my head and then I couldn't shift it. My daughter's mean everything to me and the thought that I could have potentially infected them with something like this whether it be chlamydia or the gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) which I fear I may have, and is currently going untreated was just a little to much to deal with!  When I get this all sorted I'll probably realise how crazy I sound but I will try to control my anxiety.  Thanks again and sorry to be such a nuisance with my crazy questions!