STDs Community
how long after sex should i wait for an std test?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I was given unprotected oral sex and had partially safe intercourse, meaning the condom was taken off half way threw the sex. This happened 5 days ago. How long should I wait to get a STD test so that is is accurate. I know I won't know for sure with HIV for 6 months, I just don't know about everything else. The reason this worries me is because a day or two after the sex I noticed that I have to urinate more often, and not getting as much urine out, and that the tip of my penis slightly burns. There is no cloudiness of the urine or any other discharge from it.
You can get tested for bacterial std's a week afterwards. hsv and hiv you have to wait 3 months for.

www.ashastd.org has terrific info on all std's and how to test for them.

grace
what if i didnt wait for 3 mths to come and i got tested 2 weeks after. The doctor said i had HSV type II, should i get tested again in another 2 mths to be sure??
What did your results say exactly?  Do you have a copy of them?  Was it a culture or a blood test?  A positive culture would be accurate.  A blood test can be a false positive or be read wrong.

If you tested positive for type 2, you probably had it before the encounter, but I'd still want to make sure you got the right test and that your doctor is reading it right.

Aj