STDs Community
hpv transmission

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

hpv transmission

I recently found out i have hpv/genital warts about 2 months ago. My girlfriend and I were having unprotected sex for 1 month prior to me finding out about the hpv. She recently got checked and had what ever test are done to see if she has it. Her doctor said she does not have it and her blood results came back negative to. I have a couple of questions. 1) How is it possible that she does not have it since we had unprotected sex for a month. 2) How worried should she be that she can get it if we keep having sex. 3) Is there any way possible to be intimate without her having to worry abot getting it. 4) What are the chances of me giving it to her if we use protection. 5) Is it less possible for me to give her warts if i have none present at the time. Thanks 4 your time.
Lots of questions!  

1)  There is no blood test for HPV so she couldn't have had a blood test to see if she has HPV.

2)  There are 2 types of HPV -

Low risk HPV which causes warts. These are never cancerous, they just look bad.  They can be removed.  Whether or not you keep getting them depends on your immune system.  Some people can be exposed to low risk HPV and never get warts.  

High risk HPV - that one can cause abnormal pap smears in women.  If left untreated or watched, it can lead to cervical cancer and very rarely other cancers of the genitals.  It doesn't really affect men.  

3) HPV is extremely common and approx 80% to 90% of sexually active people will have it at some point in their lives.

4)  HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact.  Condoms will protect some but not all.  This is because the hpv virus can live on the outside genitalia which is not covered by a condom.  Still, alway use a condom because it will provide some protection.

5)  She has already been exposed and has hpv - at least the low risk type for right now.  

6)  There is no test for men except an anal pap test.  For women, there is a test that is usually done along with the pap smear.

HPV is nothing to be afraid or ashamed of.  For most people, with healthy immune systems, the virus will stay under control and regress.  What does effect your immune system is smoking, drug use, other STD's, bad eating habits, stress.  For women it is really important that she doesn't smoke.

HPV is actually a family of about 100 virus that can cause anything from warts to cancer.  The cdc has a great website you and your girlfriend might want to look up sometime.

I can't tell you how many of my friends had abnormal paps and then needed to get  a cone biopsy.  After that, they were fine and went on to have children.  

7)  Don't have sex with her while you have a wart to lessen her chance of getting too.

I really recommend checking out the CDC website.

Remember, this is quite mild as far as STD goes.  There is alot you can do to keep yourself healthy.  Good luck to you both!  
She says her doctor told her she does not have hpv. Is there any way the doctor didnt know what she was talking about. Any ways if my girlfriend does not have it, is there any way we can be safe were she wont get it. Does she have it so we shouldnt worry about it. Weve only been together for 3 months and i think she is worried incase we dont work out in the future. Please help because I think us not being sexual can ruin our relationship to.
I was diagnosed with high risk HPV about five years ago and had a colonoskopy - I probably spelled that incorrectly, and have been tested twice to three times a year and no longer show any signs of the virus. Recently I have been experiencing UTI's, a yeast infection - not common for me as an individual and even had a kidney infection recently. I also am having problems with what the doctors told me as " Dysfunctional bleeding disorder" which has caused sever anemia. My body is a complete mess since January. What I am most concerned about is that I have noticed rough spots in my genital area, which appear to be genital warts. Could I have contracted this from my partner, or could this be a result of the HPV taking affect due to my bad health? I have been with my partner for a year and have tested clean and only noticed these "rough spots" about 1 to 1 1/2 months ago?
Has a doctor seen these spots?  Without a doctor diagnosing you, you can't be sure they are warts.

I'd doubt its the same infection, though.  High risk strains don't cause visible warts, so if this is warts, its from a different strain than you had before.

Aj