Schizophrenia Community
Mum suffering from schizophrenia, need some help..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

I had read somewhere that schizophrenia affects different people differently. So seems to be the case with my mum. In case of mummy, it's effect does not remain permanently. I mean it affects her sort of periodically(not exactly periodically).

She becomes completely different when it's on her. Her voice becomes very low unlike her usual loud loud voice. She starts weeping frequently on small things and strange things, and she probably suffers from hallucinations as well. She also almost disconnects herself from us, becomes irritable, says absurd,senseless things. She also becomes careless about her hygiene and becomes very inactive.She's on medication since a long time.

She was quite normal till yesterday, when i talked to her on phone it seemed like its onset again. during last attacks, i was slightly immature and handled it very badly. But this time i want to handle it nice and well.
I looked for information but it didn't help much. So i need to know what as the cause for this disease and how best the family members should get along with the affected and everything else you can.

Please respond..
Don't argue with her, especially any strange or unusual beliefs or beliefs that just have no basis in reality as it is that she might come up with.  Doing this will get you nowhere except further estranged from her.  Be supportive of her as best as you can when she's crying and otherwise.  If she's one of the people with this disease who are aware of it, maybe it will help to remind her things will return to normal for her eventually and it's not permanent as she has shown in the past.  Don't come across as threatening or anything like that and try to comfort her when she's upset.  Remember, she's reacting like a normal person to her circumstances, though this of course depends on the person's personality.  Does she have times where she decides to quit taking her medications?  Stress can cause a flare up in schizophrenia even if the person is medicated properly and a lot of times there's always something left over in between episodes of it.  Some people have it chronically and others have it episodically like you described with your mother.
I would have recommended NAMI support groups to you for further support and information but you used the term "mum" so I take it you're outside the US and I think NAMI is exclusive to the US but I could be wrong.
i am a member of NAMI i don't know about it being outside the US :)
my mom also suffers.
I agree with paranoid tho.  best thing to do is just be there and try to be understanding of everything.
also dosent hurt to keep an eye on her or remind her how much you love her. :)
My Mom has it too. That is why I am on here. She has had four espoides in 20 years each eposide lasting 3 to 6 months. She has delusions. Believes that my father is trying to kill her. She won't eat anything but candy. She mouth words but no words come out. She becomes Very moody. Takes off walking and won't come back. Refuses to drive the car because she is convinced that my father did something to it. Does not sleep. Becomes really child like. Twice she was flirting with complete strangers and singing in public which she normally does not do. I think that is what she normally does.
I Know not caring for outward appearance is one of the symptoms. Not wanting to be social is one of them. There is lots of different symptoms but mainly four different kinds of it. There are the one kind that talks about: dulisons, hulliactions, grander, etc.
Unorganized thoughts, and emotions, not taking care of your appearance, hoarding, taking off, and flat expression. Like she isn't showing any expression.

kristy545