Schizophrenia Community
Nightmares

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Nightmares

Has anyone else here noticed they have begun to experience vivid dreams since starting antipsychotics? what started as vivid dreams at the start of the treatment have developed into horrible nightmares that happen regularly despite feeling stable during the day. Is this associated with the medications perhaps? Just curious.
When I took Risperdal briefly I had vivid dreams, which normally I can't remember most of the dreams.  Going through cold turkey withdrawal on Geodon, I can't say gave me nightmares, but it gave me some of the most vivid and disturbing dreams ever in my life.
Depends which antipsychotic (I am only discussing the current FDA approved ones) you mean. Some like Zyprexa put me right to sleep. Others like Abilify were activating and may have disrupted my sleep. I do remember some medications that gave me dreams that were disturbing but the two I remember most were Lamictal (which is not uncommon) and Symmetryl (which is a side effect pill that can cause psychosis so that's completely normal). I did not stay on activating antipsychotics long as I could not tolerate them. When I was on conventional antipsychotics I found Risperdal and Seroquel to be effective and I don't remember them altering my dreams.
I forgot to say I'm on seroquel 400mg at night, -they knock me out alright and I sleep for longer than before taking them. It's just the dreaming that's changed and in the morning I remember having bad dreams that seem to have lasted all night. Like I said, I'm OK in the day though no particular life problems. It's interesting though hearing your experiences, it seems that medications do affect people differently eh? Looking forward to any more comments!
Well the dream on Geodon withdrawal was surreal like The Wall.  It had lobotomy victims sitting strapped in chairs all over a lawn, as if it were a harvest field, of a building that had rotating, bloody blades all over the inside of it that you could see through the large windows with Frankenstein-like monsters roaming around and lobotomizing people they caught.  The lawn was barren and the building was large and gray, looking like one of those factory type buildings from the 1950's or whatever.  There were also some kind of pylons shooting electricity to each other across the lawn as well.
i dream of combat every night
Well I guess my dreams/nightmares seem tame in comparison, but the emotional content is still huge. It's kinda about everyday stuff that goes wrong and I end up punching walls in my dreams and breaking my fists over stuff I get really angry about like my insurance policy document not arriving so I can't buy car tax and so on, or it will be that I fall out with everyone or am really disappointed about something and stuff like that - really emotionally charged dreams but nothing like monsters or wars - wow, great stuff guys!
As I think I told you before, I also can be tormented by monsters in the waking world.  It's like a bad dream I can't wake up from.  It is like a real life Silent Hill.
Yeah that's not so good :(
Sorry if I sounded like I was invalidating what you went through before or poking fun  - I diddn't mean great stuff! as in good, I was trying to express how interested I was in your posts but it came out a bit wrong.
I've had some pretty freaky waking stuff too, but not monsters, now that would be really scary. Things have calmed down for me though lately thank goodness. I used to be quite scared when things used to happen like hearing helicopters in my head and things like hearing the fan really loudly and seing it spin when it was not plugged in and that I could go on but I'm sure you know the kind of things I mean :) Are things getting better for you?
I didn't think you were invalidating or anything, I figured you meant it was great as in good replies.  I know what you mean yeah.  I am sort of adapted to it all after 19 or 20 years.  Things are OK for me I guess but my recovery or whatever you would call it after my last relapse has not been as good as it was before relapse.  How are things going for you?
Good on the whole, I only recently last year started AP's and I feel like they have definately helped, but it diddn't happen overnight- it took some months as the dose was increased. Obviously they have brought their own set of problems too and I guess I'm getting used to them. How recently did you relapse? Perhaps it might take some months for you too before you see a real improvement, but you'll get there :)
Yeah I don't think any antipsychotic takes full effect immediately.  Some have some of their therapeutic effects instantly but not all of the effects immediately that I am aware of.  I relapsed the 23rd of December.  All kinds of crazy **** happened like the back of my cat's head turned into a demon cat face and a helicopter flying overhead made me have the initial reaction of panic and to run for cover, among other things.  I've never even ran from helicopters or been afraid of them ever in my life.  I was told by my mental health care providers that each time we relapse (both of our diseases) we will recover less and less each time which I think would be enough to scare anyone aware of their illness to take medication as directed by their doctor.
Yeah your right there, this Christmas was a tough one for me too, perhaps cause of the  stress to do with that time of year, I always thought that after a relapse you could get back to being as well, but that it just took more medication and much longer to get there each time. I think I've always had stuff going on in the background it's just levels of how much it affects my life - this is where the AP's help. I can identify with some of your experiences it must have been scary. I remember once when I started wildly hallucinating at my old job and became convinced one of the people had poisoned me by putting LSD or something in my tea and totally freaked. I had to write in a report book but I couldn't see the page properly and I wrote complete gibberish which I had to liquid paper out the next day. It's like not just the visuals it's the irrational feelings that go with them that really create the problems - like your helicpoter. Now when I see wild stuff like perhaps a car in front of me with fire coming out of the boot, I go is this likely to be real? no probably not and usually the image eventually fades, subtler things are more difficult to tell. I just try to act normal when all this is going on around me, most people wouldn't have a clue - is this how it is for you?
I bet it takes more medication and longer because of what I was told.  I'm sure it's not impossible to reach the same state as before after a few relapses and they left out details but it probably takes more and more to get recovered again until you can't take anymore because if you go past the highest recommended daily dose of a medicine it stops having therapeutic effects and starts having only more and more negative effects.  Hell it's rare if a person recovers entirely anyway and still always has at least one symptom from all that I have heard, I suppose kind of like where you always have things going on in the background.  I still have hallucinations but less frequently on antipsychotics for example.  I relapsed because of a work induced anxiety attack, myself.  Christmas can be hard for people even without mental illness.  People even without clinic depression can go through the holiday blues but you probably of course knew that and I'm just writing my mind.  Sometimes I have hallucinations which successfully trick me as being real like you and I have to use other people to check against them as real or fake while others will do some illogical crap like disappear in front of me which I am pretty sure is impossible.  It's like wow good job brain, you fail at lying to me sometimes so you should just stop it.  It makes me wonder if anything that happens to me is really happening or not.  Delusions cause me to believe things like monsters and crap are going to come and make me suffer so I sometimes end up running away from where I'm at for no real reason or like an alien is going to be outside my window so I keep thick black curtains over the windows at all times but sometimes I'll peak anyway.  They told me psychosis is an extension of your logic, my logic seems to be stuck in fantasy land then.
Wow, I guess it it is an extension of your logic because it's your mind's best attempt of explaining what is happening to you. I wonder sometimes what comes first - do delusions trigger the hallucinations as your mind believes something so much it manifests itself as a 'real', or do the hallucinations come first which trigger delusions to order to explain the what you've experienced - like my LSD in the tea explanation. I think we may have to accept that things will get better /worse at different times in our lives but never go away. I just try and avoid triggers such as lack of sleep, concentrating too hard on something - like studying for a 12 hour stretch, and avoiding pressure / environmental stress (not so easy). We are doing really well though Corlen because we have some insight and understanding (even if it fluctuates) which is quite rare really as other have none at all. We are doing OK. :)
Well a person being able to know they have bipolar disorder/schizoaffective disorder/schizophrenia is actually 50% and the other 50% can't understand they have mental illness due to the self evaluating part of the brain being damaged.  I used to be this way and refused to take the medicine I was prescribed but I came out of it somehow but my self evaluation is still pretty F'd up.  I think the only reason I know so much is because I educated myself a lot on it and had like 19 or 20 years to get adjusted to it.  I just look at it as I'm about 4 or 5 out of 10, with 10 being recovered entirely, but I could be doing worse at 1 or 2 and not be able to work at all or have no social life what so ever.  I am doing OK but could be doing better but I would be asking for too much to be doing better currently.  I am lucky to be doing as good as I am now considering I should be dead or in a wheelchair so I'm doing great managing to work a minimum wage job for example!  I think delusions and hallucinations are independent of each other, but they can be interconnected sometimes, it depends on the content of them.  Things will always be better or worse, that is just the way life is.  It's almost like reality itself has bipolar disorder. lol  You're also right about the understanding and insight fluctuating, it is common for when you become psychotic for you to lose all your insight into yourself.  Don't ever push yourself too hard and know your limits.
i know how you feel about being in silent hill i have undifferentiated schizophrenia and i hallucinate every second i am awake and i have horrible vivid nightmares almost every night i think i should have been in the film silent hill with you!