Schizophrenia Community
People with schizophrenia can you help please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

If you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia or any other mental illness would you mind telling me whether you had anything traumatic happen when you were younger?You dont have to go into detail if you dont want im just wondering if theres more of a connection to schizophrenia being a psychological illness-that the psych has become this way due to an inability to integrate emotion/an experience which has been overwhelming and highly traumatising.
My theory is whether the neurobiological changes that appear on brain scans are more indicative of the way the neurochemistry has changed because of a reaction to something external rather then being assumed that the changes are "proof" that it has a genetic cause.
Also would you mind saying if anyone else in your family had a mental illness or if noone did.
I believe theres different types of things/illnesses that are being lumped into/called schizophrenia when i think in fact they have different causes(etiology or whatever) eg hearing voices might be due to temporal lobe epilepsy,a brain tumor,"true" schizophrenia etc but most psychiatrists(narrow minded ones) would just diagnose anyone that heard voices as having schizophrenia
Thanks for your help
Schizophrenia is a psychiatric disability. Temporal lobe epilepsy is neurological in origin and treated with anti-convulsants. To rule it out they conduct an EEG while a person has various trigger points (flashing lights, etc.) given to induce seizures. I know because I had this done and no seizures were found. As happens I have schizoaffective disorder and have made a full recovery with glycine, a glutamate antagonist, a new form of antipsychotic in Phase II FDA study which promotes a fuller recovery and has a more favorable long term side effect profile. My case study will be published in a psychiatric journal. For the official study google "Dr. Javitt, glycine". Those will be working antipsychotics within the next decade and they know exactly how they work. For an official list of medications in development google "psychmeds123".
   The trigger point for schizophrenia can sometimes be a traumatic event but it doesn't cause it. I first started having auditory hallucinations (hearing voices) at the age of 13 at the onset of puberty. At the age of 18 I had a full breakdown and full onset of symptoms and started medication. That was caused by going away to college which was not "traumatic" but a stressful event. Clinically, schizophrenia has positive symptoms (not as in good but as in things that should not be there that are such as hearing voices and delusions), negative symptoms (having trouble relating to people) and cognitive symptoms (trouble understanding things and processing ideas). I experienced all of these before recovery but they have been mitigated. Research psychiatrists are beginning to understand more about this new generation of antipsychotics and also that people with schizophrenia genetically are lacking in glutamate transmission so they may have developed a more targeted treatment. The current generation of antipsychotics of course do treat psychosis and are neccessary but the next generation will be even more effective. Let me know if this is helpful as sometimes what I post is somewhat clinical but I thought my specific information might be of use and it is clinically confirmed and more up to date than what you might read elsewhere.
i hear voices and have delusions-scotty
2 weeks before i started to hear voices , my family says i had a bad dream i say a demon actally picked up my soul and throw me in hell fire for like 10 seconds the worst pain you cant even imagine..i dont know why God would let that happen to me...and i thought my voices were jesus talking to me i thought it was real...i didnt know it was all bull.....i talked to so call jesus for six month no one knew that about me i hide it.i was conected to my voices on a very deep high level we where one and i did what ever it told me to do because you know what they say WHAT WOULD JESUS DO. the voices got to the point it told me i need to die so i wouldnt go to hell and i would get to live forever with jesus in heaven tokill myself in my bed room with a knife it was very bad..i should be died..i almost pastaway...in the hospital iwas still thinking of ways i could kill myself before my birthday in 2 days..now i dont have a deep side i dont feel emotion at all and i think its all because of what i went throw truam wise. i dont feel the same in my heart.i feel like the devil is winning because i cant fell emotion now....i did see something bright in my eyes in my eyes before this happened now i see nothing..
no one in my family has schizohrenia
It runs in my family with no traumatic events. No abuse. Only positive symptoms. We have finally found medically/functionally what helps the type of schizophrenia that runs in my family.

Some schizophrenia is helped with gluten-free diets. Some are not. Some are helped with hormones. Some are not. We call them all "schizophrenia" based on symptoms, but they are obviously different things. Lumping all of them under one label confuses the treatment as well as society's understanding of what schizophrenia is.

One doctor calls it mental, another calls it neuroendocrine, yet another calls it neuroimmunological. They argue, but they are arguing about the difference between apples and bananas just because both are called "fruit."
I think psychiatry has a good understanding of what schizophrenia is. The theories until recently held that schizophrenia was caused by an imbalance in dopamine. While that still holds true to some extent they now realize glutamate transmission is involved (and having nothing to do with a gluten free diet) and genetic studies proved that people with schizophrenia were lacking in glutamate transmission. The medication I take which is in Phase II FDA study (and the medications like the glutamate antagonists) restore glutamate transmission to the brain and will be the basis of a future generation of antipsychotics. For more information on this study google "Dr. Javitt, glycine".
No, I had nothing traumatic happen when I was younger at all.

No one else in my family has Schizophrenia.

Anas S
I was first diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2005. I had my first child end 2003 and the symptoms were present before he turned one. However I now realise I had experienced long term psychosis before; in and or around 2001. -Bizarre delusions, MASSIVE fear linked in with these, very odd behaviour lol etc. I had a 'traumatic' time in childhood. (I only have seen this to be so over the past year with therapy -or it was traumatic for me anyhow). Absent father & my mother had her own problems, but basically I was on my own. She was always busy and did not know how to connect with me. Or chose not to ... (?) Very critical of me also, often stressed and shouted at me to go away if i needed something. Every day I was the last kid at school to be picked up, a half hour after everyone else gone home.. Result; I lived in my own little world but deep down was very hurt, lonely, confused and thought i was bad bad bad. My dad's wife had threatened suicide as a result of my conception and possible consequences (i was told this at a young age for some reason..?) therefore i must be guilty and in the wrong (were my unconscious beliefs). All ****** up it was, and then i got bullied severely for the majority of my school years from various sources. I was very closed off to people. I didn't understand emotions. Never knew i was constantly trying to deny them. I took my first overdose at 11, had a year long bout of what i now know to be dissociation or derealisation not too long after this. Suffered big mood swings. On antidepressants at 16 (1996), by which time i was using drugs most if not all the time (cannabis & ecstasy mainly). College went out the window and so it went on, me in chaos. First saw a psychiatrist age 20 ish. Stopped taking drugs 2001 as he advised. Had taken second overdose by then aged 17. First hospitalisation age 25 when my psychosis was in full swing and i was depressed, suicidal and very agitated. I was told at times to do terrible things that i felt i couldn't be sure of resisting and that terrible things were going to happen and were happening also. It was all bonkers and i don't remember much really. Some time later i was given various other diagnosis' also; schizoaffective & borderline personality disorder being two (they are just labels in my opinion - oh btw there's a great book called psychosis and human nature by Richard Bentall which explains what to me seems a very valid theory). MH nature vs nurture is very complex. I have the following - stress induced episodes of psychosis, mania & hypomania, depression, mixed state, anxiety, emotional and 'self' issues, past drug problem (i think borne pretty much all out of a need for something that enabled me to cope to some -albeit dysfunctional- degree. My drug abuse spanned many substances), severe memory and attention problems and very sensitive to light, noise etc. I cannot filter the stimulus in my surrounding environment which results in overload, and more so when under stress. Is like massive interference there in my head almost 100% of time.. I have had 8 inpatient hospitalisations to date and many more periods attending day hospital. Majority for depression, psychosis and / or risk of harm to self or others.   ...Possibly related or possibly completely not include fibromyalgia and arthritic like pain, overwhelming bouts of fatigue, either sleeping too much or too little and a host of stress related stuff like eczema, IBS and migraine. Also polycystic ovaries which perhaps hormonal link? I now take depakote, venlafaxine, pain meds, and use chlorpromazine, diazepam and zopiclone as needed. I was on alot of anti-psychotic meds for long time and i gained SO much weight plus slept about 20 out of the 24 hours so I really hate taking them. Chlorpromazine best of bunch i tried and unfortunately sometimes the benefits outweigh the drawbacks... Because I try not to take daily even short term (every other day maybe) and what else I don't know, but i don't have same constant meds induced fatigue now (just psychosomatic fatigue now lol). Bipolar runs in my family along with milder mh problems; my mums sister has anxiety and panic attacks, my half sister had OCD for quite some time but that has resolved itself. My mums dad was alcoholic (which caused its own problems for her and her siblings, but he also however had v odd upseting childhood) & her mum, my gran who was the one person i 'had' in my life to some extent was we think undiagnosed bipolar -it comes through her family line. She had hard time herself as a child, witnessed her dads death age 7, was sent to get help but obviously he couldn't be saved. She was hospitalised with puerperal (postnatal) psychosis after her third child and received ECT treatment amongst what else i don't know. (This was early 1950's). Apparently she was changed because of it -becoming very distant emotionally (?). My dad died in 2001 and he was very possibly bipolar. His dad was a very strange character, but i cannot be sure about all this as know very little due to the lack of contact with my dad etc. Most of my close cousins have some oddity or other. Lets hope they're not reading this ;)

So is it learned behaviour taking various forms with each generation, is it a weak constitution or a genetic predisposition, is it for the most part a result of heavy drug consumption during adolecence and beyond? ... is it all one big sick joke played out by a sadistic power? Is it even real? Do i exist in this earthly plane ...?

Hmmm have you not actually turned off ur computer and gone to bed before getting this far...? No? Well done hope it hasn't all been in vain! I think i'm done now. Maybe i should think about publishing my next intended post instead lol i'm in an expansive mood atm!?

Personally I think theres no way to be sure at this place in time but if last possibilities are incorrect it must probably be a real mixture of many things.

Hey everyone I'm new to this site and forum. :)
I think you're right about doctors lumping all illnesses into one basket without finding out the cause.  What I can say for sure is that I've had psychosis for years and was mislabeled bipolar, hearing voices, etc., but recently started BHRT and it was HORMONAL and the psychosis went away!  I've also read that some individuals who have been diagnosed with schizo found out it was hormonal as well!  It also could be a thyroid problem, etc. My question is how can they make such a monumental decision without testing for causes...what a shame!
Just to skim through some things... I had a couple of extremely traumatic things happen to me that caused me to get PTSD not including things like where someone tried to kill me and my great grandparents by putting a car bomb under the car when I was a kid.  I'd not be here today if it went off at the right time as it incinerated the inside of the car.  My home life as a child was good albeit extremely lonely as I had no other kids to play with or talk to and neither of my parents were around and I'll never get to meet my dad because he died before I could meet him and I had few friends because just about everyone at school including teachers tormented and bullied me severely because I'm different and "lazy" when in reality I've had Schizophrenia almost my whole life.  I wondered for the longest time why I don't like kids that much and then I realized they were sadistic little mother f*ckers to me growing up trying to break my fingers and choke me to death and devaluing everything that meant something to me and belittling me and kicking my groin for sh*ts and giggles and destroying my self esteem and ganging up on me and threatening to kill me and I could just keep going on and on.  The person who reared me mainly started getting bizarrely close to me to the point it was uncomfortable and I shut down and became withdrawn for years to protect myself because I already experienced sexual abuse and torture on multiple occasions when I was four or five.  I was way too young to understand it at that age so I don't even know how to feel about it to this day.  School was hellish, teachers and students tormented me and bullied me severely on a daily basis and I never felt safe anywhere there.  One of the things that caused me to get PTSD, the guy who caused it did things like tortured my mom's pet mice and poisoned us with trace amounts of arsenic all when I was the age of four or five.  He was a really f*cked up person.  He was the one who molested and tortured me at the same age of four or five.  The other thing that happened that caused me to get PTSD is my mother thought I molested my sister when I was 9 or 10 and she beat my face with a belt several times and threatened to make me walk out naked in front of traffic until I admitted it and some other **** she made up in her sick and twisted mind and I never felt so much fear in my life as that experience and then she treated me like an object and said I was an object for about a month until I was able to get away from her.  I get looks of horror from the psychiatrists and therapists sometimes when I tell them about that event.  I have a much easier time now talking about the PTSD events now because I learned to shut my brain off where I can talk about things without actually consciously thinking about them.  I'm ready to get over all this stuff but I need to learn how through therapy which I just started.  I can't say I've had the worst life as there's always going to be someone who's worse off than you but... I got to the point I wished I was insane at a very young age because I saw all those people in movies who were portrayed as insane where they had totally lost contact with reality and were in their own delirious little world and I wished I could have the same thing to escape reality.  lol funny thing is I was already "insane" since I had Schizophrenia but didn't know it, just didn't have the insanity I wanted to have.  I started having suicidal ideations at a young age as well and those continued throughout my life until I got on antipsychotics back in January.  Now mind you I've had the Schizofucknia practically my whole life so all this stuff might of impacted me even worse than a person without it and I didn't know how to talk to people or anything for the longest time and didn't really have anyone to talk to anyway about this stuff so I had to bottle it all up.  Sort of a pity party I started here but you wanted to know and I think people should know just how f*cked up some people can be out there.

I think other events that might of contributed to my mental instability were a head injury at a young age and being clinically dead for five minutes.

As for mental illness running in my family, everyone on my father's side of the family has Bipolar Disorder except for my uncle who has Schizoaffective Disorder.  My great grandma said recently she has Schizophrenia but I think she might be confusing Schizophrenia and Parkison's and actually has Dementia from a stroke.
I discovered my mother with her wrists slashed in the bath when I was younger which has been recorded as a traumatic experience even though I can't say I ever had feelings for her whatsoever. My father hung himself though I did not find that out myself and was informed by the authorities. Before they died I was abused emotionally and physically. Both of my parents had some form of schizophrenia.
Speaking of psychiatrists carelessly diagnosing Schizophrenia, as far as I know it's the hardest thing to get diagnosed with, everyone's so skeptical of someone having it even though it occurs in 1 in every 100 people.  Physical doctors that I go to for example are like trying to punch a hole through a brick wall when I try to tell them I have Schizophrenia when they ask about my mental illness.  I was also even diagnosed as Bipolar first but I think that's because I left out a lot of symptoms and described it wrong and it was a general practitioner.  Psychiatrists are supposed to make careful observations and **** before they diagnose you with anything.