Schizophrenia Community
What's next?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

What's next?

My sister claims to have multiple chemical sensitivity disorder.  She claims to be so sensitive to smells that she doesn't leave her house. She made a friend strip on her doorstep, take a shower with her soap and wear her clothing to be in her house. She lost her job and has many reasons why she can't do any job -- computers and phones give off bad emissions. She's begging for money and food. Says there’s only one grocery store she can go to because they have a filter on their air conditioning. Several years ago, she told me she was hearing angles talk to her.  She believes she is psychic and talks very odd with singsong ton and uses odd word choices. She’s down to 103 pounds.  So I called the county to do a health and welfare check.  The caseworker closed the case and didn't feel she was mentally ill.  How is that possible?  She's living in just one room of her house and talked to the woman through an open window for a half hour before she agreed to sit on the picnic table and talk. She lied to the caseworker -- telling her that mental illness doesn't run in the family.  Then she called my brother and did a 360 and apologized for exaggerating the situation.  My brother even said that her singsong communication was better.  Is she lying or is she really sick?  What else can be done to get help for her?  Eventually, I think she’ll be homeless.
Multiple chemical sensitivity disorder is rare but does exist. However, this sounds more psychiatric and she may believe these things as a delusion. Obsessive behavior in itself can be a sign of ocd but when a person starts to believe it literally then it is psychotic. Manipulative behavior can occur in borderline personality disorder. However, the level of disconnection from reality can occur in schizophrenia although bpd does have a psychosis of its own. These are just some ideas. Only a psychiatrist could provide a diagnosis but if she was manipulative enough to avoid a visiting crisis team they need to be informed of what has happenned when they weren't there so they can put that on the record as well. She might not be a danger to herself or others but she might be classified as unable to care for herself which is another category for involuntary hospitalization. If she is unwilling to accept help and no one can encourage her to and this weight loss and manipulative and destructive behavior will clearly continue you might be best off contacting Adult Protective Services but that is a last resort.
She needs help :)