Word/object recognition problem
I do not know if this is a neurological problem but I thought I'd post about it here and see if anyone knows anything about it. I was unable to find anything useful by searching the web. First of all, I have a psychiatric history. I was put on the medication Seroquel by a psychiatrist about 2 years ago. Ever since I started the medication I noticed problems reading. It's like my brain is not interpreting words correctly anymore. When I read the sentence, "What are you doing now", the word now is replaced with cow, or how, or something that resembles the word now. I have to look again to see the sentence for what it really is. This happens constantly when I'm reading and makes it hard to concentrate. I have also noticed that I have a hard time recognizing objects and often mistake them for something else. For instance, a red ashtray I might think is an apple. Usually happens for a brief second and then my mind snaps back to reality. I did not have any of these problems before starting the medication Seroquel. I have discontinued the medication 2 years ago and the symptoms are persisting. Should I see a neurologist about this? What disorder could this possibly be? I am on an antipsychotic again, Risperdal, which is not having any effect on this problem.
    Seroquel has the potential to cause cognitive confusion alhought each person reacts differently to each medcation. Cognitive symptoms that is difficulty understanding and procesing ideas can occur as part of schizophrenia. However what you are describng sounds somewhat different from either but only a psychiatrist would understand the difference. It would be worthwhile to discuss these concerns with your psychiatrist and they could see whether a further referral is warranted to determne the cause of these symptoms and how they could be addressed.
sometimes that happens to me when i read and the words go running across the pages of like a book perhaps or what im reading so i have to use a bookmark to isolate the complete line of words so they don't run :)
I get this i was told that its apart of psychosis but i could be wrong
I get this as well a lot.  My brain swaps words to their opposite word a lot as well such as "can" looks like "can't", "do" looks like "don't", etc.  I didn't know it was a part of psychosis.
I also get this from time to time , i was recently diagnosed with schizoaffective, after 4 years of what they thought was bi polar and social phobia , but i also see things that kinda shape shift also for example i might get a glimpse of the coffee table and think it was the dog , i also see bright light out the corner of my eye .