Schizophrenia Community
abilify
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

abilify

how come abilify only worked well for me about 3 months?then i began to hear voices and the medicine was increased and the voices seemed to get worse instead of better.i cant seem to find a med that helps for very long.does anyone know about any new drugs for paranoid scizophrenia?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
   Yes sometimes some medications can stop working after a while and generally a psychiatrist then changes them although they have not at this point understood why. However if a person doesn't respond to one medication they can respond to a different one as each person responds differently to each medication. The other atypicals are Risperdal, Invega, Seroquel and Zypexa. The two newest atypical antipsychotics that work like Abilify are Saphris and Fanapt. If a person has not responded to all known antipsychotics, at that point sometimes a psychiatrist might see if they could be tried on Clozaril which would be used more often because it can be quite effective but has a heavy side effect profile and requires regular blood monitoring. Also there are antipsychotics in clinical study that work in a completely different manner than the current ones and if the clinical studies continue to show progress at the rate they are could be available within the next 3-5 years depending so its a matter of discussing appropriate options with your psychiatrist as they become available.
Blank
i found your comment to be very helpful.How can i keep updated about clinical studies,what reading materials would you reccomend about mental health?I read "psychology today"
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Schizophrenia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...