can haldol be better?
I am schizophrenic and have been taking zyprexa for 13 years. I am sane but I feel slugged out and often like my nerves are underwater. I have numbness in my hands. I get even worse where I walk around like a zombie but these episodes usually pass. My nerves often feel raw. I have all sorts of sensations in my nerves. My doctor says I have "somatic schizophrenia". I was on haldol before and it didn't seem to be this bad. Can haldol be better?
   Although each person responds differently to each medication in general the side effect profile of the atypical antipsychotics (Risperdal to Abilify, the newest options being Fanapt and Saphris) than the typical antipsychotics (Thorazine to Haldol) is far more tolerable. As well the atypicals have half the potential of causing permanent movement disorders and less of a potential of temporary movement disorders. For some people Zyprexa can have a heavy side effect profile (such as cognitive blunting and sedation) and it does have the potential to cause more so than other medications (although other people respond well) although this can occur in all currently avvailable antipsychotics but the potential is less in some than in others. There are many options as regards antipsychotics and it would be worthwhile to ask about what is currently available if you cannot tolerate the Zyprexa and your psychiatrist could appropriately adjust or change your medication as needed within their discretion.