Schizophrenia Community
my child, bipolar or schizophrenic?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

my child, bipolar or schizophrenic?

my son who is 18, has been moody sence he was 10 and bipolar runs in our family, on his fathers side as well. He was diagnosed with BP-I at 14 but doesnt respond to meds very well(lithium XR 1,800 mg daily) he never had close friends and with sexual relationships, i think he wants to be alone more. he dropped out in 10th grade and got his GED, but he has been acting strange for over a year now. he thinks people want to hurt him and thinks jim jones is trying to get him to suicide. he says he sees things and hear things but no voices. talks about being "not human". his speech tends to be a little " jumpy" and hes very very eccentric like. i was reading some where that bipolar and schizophrenia have some of the same genes. his father was severly bipolar and most of my family are as well, could my son be showing early signs of schizophrenia. someone please help me, i dont know what to do anymore.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
he maybe schizoaffective i would talk to a psych. doctor ; only a professional would know for sure i have schizophrenia i had bizzare behavior and i hear voices all the time. try to encourage him to stay on meds ( the right ones are always hard to find)!
Blank
He could be, I've had some of those same symptoms before and I was diagnosed with schizophrenia but it could also be his bipolar disorder has became even more severe than the disease already is, I know mania can cause those things but I'm not a doctor nor can I do an evaluation on here so I couldn't really say.  Schizoaffective disorder as drifter0213 pointed out is easy remembered like this: schizophrenia + mood disorder = schizoaffective disorder.

If the psychiatrist he has (if he has one) doesn't know about this already it would be well worth telling them about this stuff.  Schizoaffective disorder usually requires an antipsychotic as well as a mood stabilizer and antidepressant.  It could also be maybe he just doesn't respond to lithium that well.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Schizophrenia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...