please someone help me..clitoris hair? bad pain..
I've posted a million times about this..but I finally think I know what is wrong now...so now I just need to figure out how to fix it...
I have a doctor's appointment in late august, so until them I'm sorta screwed..but for the past few months I've had this sharp pain in my clitoris, that gets worse when I rub it or it rubs on clothes, etc...a few months ago I noticed a hair growing into the clit, like at the very top, under the hood. I'm 99 percent sure that is the cause of my distress..I'm sick of peopole saying you can't grow a hair there...you can..I've read a few  people on the internet who had the same problem as me, just less pain.
Today I took a warm bath and soaked in it, trying to help, but when I got out, I felt the hair sticking out even more, extremely painful to the touch. My theory is that the warm water helped the hair like pop out more, you know waht I  mean? like how they say if you want to pluck your eyebrows, you should take a hot bath first to open the pores and let the hair out more?
Well anyways, the pain is extreme, and I need an idea to get rid of it, I don't think I can pull it out, I definitely won't shave it, and I CAN"T GO TO THE DOCTOR YET....and I really don't want to pluck it..Eventually it will have to fall out on its own right? It used to be really short and its getting to be pretty long now so its obviously growing..If anyoene can help me I will be EXTREMELY thankful...I've been suffering for so long, please help.
If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it!
WOW, I thought I was the only freak hehe (j/k)..but I had the same thing years ago..didn't have the extreme pain, but did have uncomfortable feeling, and took a peek.. Like another posting, I initially panicked, since I thought it was a tick or insect there!, BUt it was tiny, cluster of hairs that were short, but could be stabbing! I pulled them out.
I aske a ob/gyn that "i think I have another hole down there" lol. They just inspected it and said, no your fine.
Over the years, they have reduced down to only a few. I kinda miss the clusters I used to have there, but actually I can see how it would be an annoyance. I'm glad others have noticed it! Anyhow, I would just pluck them out if I were you, and my experience is that after a few pluckings, they decrease.
WOW! Love the internet!!! This just happened to me today and I'm glad to find I'm not the only one! I'm 32.
Had discomfort for months, but just thought it had something to do with the cathider I had while I gave birth.
Today, took a mirror, saw a black spot under the hood and freaked!
Went to pull it and had instant pain.....pulled again and a small clump of about 8 fine hairs an inch long came out with the folicle at the end!
I was shocked! No more discomfort!
Thanks everyone for posting your stories!!
Thank you for starting this discussion rachel007. I'm 51 years old and have lived with this for a long time. My doctor also didn't fully understand what I was describing and thought it must be hairs getting stuck from an outside source. I'm certain the hairs grow there. I have a "buried clitoris" and there is a small pinpoint opening below it. At least once a year, when the hairs have grown to approximately 1 inch, they start poking me and hurting and then they either work there way out, or I manipulate the area to encourage them to poke out of the pinpoint opening. I carefully grab the clump of fine hairs and pull them out. And then I wait for it to happen again. (once I even saved them to show my doctor but never had the courage to do it and finally threw them out)  
My biggest concerns are that the area could become infected if/when the hairs become stuck there....and what happens when I'm elderly and can't contort my body to remove them or my eyesight is bad enough that I can't see them. It's a really tricky procedure. So much so that it explains why the doctor didn't understand what is really happening.
When I found and read this discussion, it brought me to tears to have finally found validation that I'm not the only one. It was difficult enough to summon up the courage to mention it to my doctor. You know "um...hey doc...there are hairs growing out of the tiny hole under my clitoris..." and then for years to just suffer with it. I can't imagine how many other women have typed various combinations of "clitoris" and "hair" into the search engine on their computer trying to find information. I gave up and then tried again this morning when I found this discussion.
Thank you all for your persistence and courage.
Your post was touching to me...because I went through pain for soo long and EVERyone made me feel like I was crazy. I truly feel what you are going through, doctors make you just feel insane! Honestly this has to be one of the worst pains I've ever experienced in my life. It is truly terrible. I am glad you found this thread I posted and I hope it has helped you out a little bit, at least in knowing that you're not alone, and that its not in your head! :)
I've had this maybe 5 or 6 times now, the last time was just an hour ago before I removed the hair with tweezers.
I'd also searched the net years ago, found nothing and thought I must be weird.
The pain really is terrible, but thankfully disappears as soon as the hair is "plucked"
The hair doesn't actually grow under the clitoral hood, this is why gynaecologists seem confused when they hear "hair growing on the clitoris".
What it is, is pubic hair that somehow works its way under there.
It is extremely painful, and the first time I had it I was very worried, and the doctor had no idea what it was.
I decided to get a magnifying mirror, tweezers and a bright lamp and take a look for myself.
I was surprised to see a hair which appeared to be growing from underneath the clitoral hood, but after tweezing the hair out, realised that it can't possibly have grown from there.
Think about it, surely it would be agony to actually tweeze a hair growing from such a sensitive area??
Hello, everyone. I am 21. I decided to search "hair under clitoral hood" for the first time today, since this is maybe the fourth time that I've had to take a hair out from under the hood. I thought it seemed impossible and was hoping and praying that it was just hair that gets lodged under there, and not that it grows there. I was fearing I had a mutation or something, since hair really, really, shouldn't grow there. For so many reasons haha. Anyway, I noticed three hairs in there today, two lighter ones, and one that appears dark and too far under for me to grab it. I only got one out, the rest are stuck against my clitoris, and any sort of scraping or rubbing hurts, and doesn't easily loosen it so that the end will stick in the air so I can grab it. I tend to get random sharp pains when my clitoral area is touched or pressed upon. Much like a pin-stick, but it isn't very common, since I try to keep it from any accidental contact. I haven't experienced the pain that some of these women have, which I am deeply sorry about. Who knows if I'm bound to experience that some day. There is definitely a lot of discomfort associated with the area for me, though. I tend to be prone to abrasion, and don't like clothes too tight or rubbing against the clitoral area. I don't like upward pressure on the clitoris either, that causes sharp pain or aching sometimes. I'll mention this thread to my gynecologist and my observations and see what they have to say. I really hope this isn't going to need to be something I need to do every few weeks. It's so uncomfortable and time consuming to get in that position and poke around down there. Mercy. I'm glad I'm not alone, at least.
i am 19 and i noticed one small hair getting out of the shower today. it was under my hood and right above my clitoris. i thought it was impossible because i clean so well and havent shaven in  a week so i tryed to brush it off with a qtip, when it didnt work i got prepared for pain to take it out with tweezers. It didnt hurt at all! The hair was not affecting me like some of you women but who knows maybe if it got longer it could have. I'm happy were not alone in this! has anyone seen their doctor about this yet and understood what it is or whats going on? After i removed the hair it looks like a slightly small hole, and i thought there wasnt supposed to be a hole there. Oh gosh the human body is so weird and gross to me. haha if anyone has talked to a doctor that knows please let me know!
So Happy I found this!!! Could not sleep last night after I saw this line of hair. After reading this I used my tweezers to pull the hair out. I had a lot like 10-15 same Length...so weird. I want to think that the hair is not actually growing because it came out so easily with no pain. My theory is that the hair is getting in there after shaving -_- although they are all the same length and they are thin. This is beyond weird but happy to know Im not the only weirdo. =)
Hi I've been having this problem off and on for many years.  Before there used to be a very fine cluster of hairs, almost invisible in the light, roots and all.  Now it is single black hairs.  I just got one out recently.  Now there is another single black.  I hope the hair growth is not going to be darker thicker and more in quantity.  It looks that way.
Hello - I have likely been having this problem for a long time not knowing what it was.  I'm 29 years old and can remember being 14 in Jr High PE moving around and out of nowhere feeling a terrible stabbing pain like I just hit something, it felt like an odd nervy pain.  I never knew what the cause was and it would come and go over the years.  Doctors never knew what I was talking about or would tell me I likely hurt myself somehow and am just sensitive.  A few months ago I was taking matters into my own hands and found when I pulled the hood back all the way a little fine hair was protruding.  After trying to pull it out myself with the tweezers with no luck I asked my (wonderful) boyfriend to give me a steady hand, I was mortified and upset because surely this was going to hurt...but much to my surprise he was able to pull it out with no pain, after the first three more followed.  All soft hairs about a quarter inch in length.  Since then I've pulled one more out.  I see my gyno again in a couple weeks and I plan to ask her about it though I won't be surprised if I get a similar answer to others reported here.  I too have noticed a small dark dot on the hood area that seems to be under the skin perhaps where the hairs are growing?  Not sure if they are growing or getting stuck there, it all doesn't make sense to me.  I am so relieved to find after a few mins of searching I found others with the same troubles, makes me feel not so scared by this odd occurrence.
Thanks  for sharing your story! It's nice to know there's more of us out there experiencing this strange pain...Please follow up with what  the gynecologist tells you! I am very curious. Thanks and good luck!
I just discovered that I may have this same issue!  
Last night I was going about shaving down there and happened to pull back my clitoral hood and saw what appeared to be a dark, small "slit" right on my clitoris.  At first I thought it was some kind of a hole, but upon closer inspection (and the help of a magnifying glass) it turned out that the "hole" was really a bunch of very fine black hairs rooted right in the gland.  It seems very bizarre, but it makes sense to me now, as I have noticed in the past that sometimes I can feel like an uncomfortable "twinge" sensation in that area, not really painful but almost like something scratching...it's hard to describe but it definitely is not a pleasant feeling.  I managed to tweeze some of the hairs out painlessly (there were about 6 of them) and that weird feeling is gone now.  The hairs were only about 1/8 of an inch long and I could definitely see very tiny follicles on them, so I am not totally convinced that these hairs are just pubic hairs that happened to get "stuck" underneath the hood.  I will definitely try to talk to my gynecologist about this the next time I see her but I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one with this.
I posted my story on the 14th above, this is Paintgal.  I did have my doctor's appointment and asked my OB about this.  She didn't seemed surprised but didn't say she had other patients with the same problem.  She said it could very well have grown there and sometimes after removing a hair from some place it may or may not grow back.  When I asked if it can get wedged in there she said that she knows of her patients who are hair dresses and have hairs wedged under the skin in their hand, that hair is pretty sharp and hard so 'you'd be surprised where it can wind up.'  Other than that she didn't seem it to be anything to be too worried about if the hairs come out so easily and without pain.  So I suppose that is a better answer than what I anticipated.  
I'm 23 and this has happened a few times every once in a while, its not a hair that's growing, its just trapped. Its exactly like when u get an eyelash stuck in your eye...uncomfortable and painful, but still its an easy fix. Just pull back the hood and find the hair and gently pull it out. The pain stops instantly :-)
why not use local topical anesthetic like lido-cane. This will numb the are for some time, helping to pluck the unwanted hair.
The odds of a hair growing out of your clitoris is extremely slim. It's just a hair that got caught in the fold. Just pull it out and you'll be fine. It might also help to check after a shower to see if one is caught in there so you don't find out later when you feel pain.
Hi Rachel,
I actually had the same problem but it wasn't painful at all. It seemed abnormal and I even ended up doing research. Turns out that this morning while bathing, i tried to pull the hair out and that seemed uncomfortable. You actually have to pull the clitoral hood back like men to their members and then pull the hair out. It wasn't just hair, it was dried blood from my monthly gift. I feel better even though it wasn't a big issue in the first place. Hope this helps!
Hair is not growing from your clitoris. It is just hair that has fallen out of your head or pubic hair that got stuck under the clitoral hood. Just pull it out and you'll see that it's not attached.
I am 19..am and am avin d same issue for d past 3weeks now, it really hurts wen i tourch my clith or wen my panties tourches it, i feel dis sharp pain dat make me frown my face.though i avnt checkd if its d hair growin thr, bt wat shuld i do? cos dis pain is really unbearable
Hair can grow in the clitoral hood. It does appear to be uncommon, but it is possible.  By consensus, plucking the hair is painless and a good solution.  For some women, it is a trapped hair, yet for others there is an obvious root to the hair and a history of the hair growing.  There doesn't appear to be any risks associated with plucking the hair, but if the pain persists it's best to visit your doctor.

Dr. F
same thing happened to me 2 times. Very painful , and my  clitoris  even turned purple. I examined the hair and it was my dogs hair!  
Actually, hair CAN grow from under the clitoral hood.  My gyn has pulled at least 20 hairs from this area and I have the pictures to prove it.  They were not hairs that got stuck there.  I wish docs would learn how to think "outside the box" as we are not all what the textbooks say.  I had many gyns say I was nuts until showing them the proof.  I have a cyst that is on top of the clitoral hood and no one associated the hairs with it till now.   I have been to so many docs only to be told they just aren't comfortable doing the surgery to remove cyst because of all the nerves down there.  The root of the problem is the hair folicals which very few docs will touch in this area.  I am now seeing plastic surgeons regarding removing cyst and hair folicals.  Did I mention I have dealt with this for 4 years and feel very alone.  I looked into dermatoligists but none of them have hospital privilages.  
I'm so sorry for all you are going through. Your case sounds much different than mine, and more severe. I can't even imagine what it's like. I hope you find a compassionate doctor that does whatever it takes to help you. All I can say is don't give up, and, do research and be your own advocate. Take care!
Just two days ago I was experiencing very uncomfortable pain in my clitoris.  I inspected it and found a couple hairs.  I pulled them out with no pain, but now I have an open sore and a blister at the tip under the hood.  Scared that I might have herpes (though there is NO POSSIBLE WAY I COULD), I looked online and found this thread.  The day before this happened, I shaved my genital region, and must not have cleaned as properly as I thought.  And this had happened before.  Getting hair trapped in there after I shave.  But it's never caused a blister or sore.  I'm guessing the blister is caused by the hair being trapped in there for literally 24 hours, and the open sore from touching it so much to check for the problem, as it was very sensitive to begin with.  I guess what I'm saying is that if you shave your genital area, make sure you clean very well to make sure all loose hairs are removed from the area.  If it grows there, then I would personally pluck the hair(s) when they grow out.  I am sure this is why I' having this problem, but if it's not healed within a week, I'll be seeing my doctor for it.  Thanks everyone for your information and suggestions.  This makes me feel better that I 99% don't have herpes.  :0)
Thanks for your post. It still shocks me how many people have this same problem!
I am not a doctor, but you should probably get checked out. I doubt it is a blister, I'm fairly sure the only blister you can get is herpes but, I assume you are a virgin based on how you said you can't have it. Don't worry if that is the case. But you should see what is going on there and get advice as to how to care for it. It's probably just from the trauma. The vaginal skin is sensitive and susceptible to tears, irritation, etc. goodluck!!!
i too found a hair under the hood in in the hole where my clitoris is. i had SO MUCH sharp pain. i waited until the pain wasn't so sharp that i could at least pull the hood up without dying, then finally used tweezers to pull the hair out (it was surprisingly painless!). the pain went away IMMEDIATELY. i felt a little soreness from the hair poking my sensitive, irritated clitoris.. but no more pain!

i recently shaved down there, so i suspect that one of the short hairs somehow ended up under the hood the exact same thing happened to me sometime last year. i saw the hair and was too scared to pull it out that time. SO glad i did now!
I have had this since high school, I am 35 now. One day, in my high school health class, a health specialist visited as a guest speaker. I described my situation and she said that not many women have it but it does happen. She said it could possibly be removed with laser surgery. Since then, I have been scared to have a laser on me down there and I remove it carefully whenever it starts to cause any discomfort or pain. My big concern is if I were to become pregnant some day. How would I be able to see to remove it? Also, in my older years, what if there comes a times when I can not either. Is there anyone who has researched laser surgery or anything like it? There needs to be a solution to this situation we are all dealing with.
I'm not an expert but I have some thoughts on what you wrote:
1) I had the same concern about what I will do when I grow too old to care for myself (to bend and see...) I'm 54 now and have noticed that my hair is finer and there is less hair under my arms and on my legs and pubic area. That happens naturally as you grow older....so it may be less of an issue as we grow older. It already seems like I've had to deal with removing the hairs less and less.
I was never pregnant so I can't answer that concern.
2) If you decide to have surgery make sure you use a surgeon who has performed that exact (or very similar) procedure many times. That way you'll have a better chance of successful results.
That could be expensive and/or geographically impossible if the surgeon is located too far from where you live.

I just want to let you know that this does not happen because of shaving.  I am 25 years old and have never shaved down there not even once in my life, and I still get the hairs that seem to "grow" inside the clit.  It is the same for me as most women here are saying, they come out easily usually with no pain, and the first time I pulled it out with tweezers it was a little bunch of small fine hairs all the same length and very small and fine.  They could not have been hairs that just got stuck in there if they were all the same exact length, and they were way too fine to be hairs from that area.
I just found this site because I am currently going through pain in my clitorus are. I have been dealing with pain for many years and I didn't know what it was. Sometimes the pain is so bad I can't walk and wipe myself because if that gets near it makes it hurt.  It's a sharp electric pain. I have cried so much over this. I can't even have sex with my husband. It's frustrating.  A gyno told me it was the nerves and that stress can cause this pain. She said take pain meds. That didn't work. It does go away eventually but it comes back. Especially when husband tries to play down there. I can't take this anymore. It's ruining my life. So I checked to see if I had hair under the hood of the clit and sure enough there's hairs coming out of it.  I tried to pluck them out but couldn't cause I kept getting that sharp pain. I'm going to have to have the husband do it but I'm so afraid of the pain. This has been very traumatizing for me
I wonder if anybody has suggested a local anesthesia Lidokaine. It cones as an ointment in a turbe or spray.It will numb the area for sometime.One can pluck after feeling little heavy there.
Just found this thread today.  I have had this pain, like a pin prick in the tip of my clitoris, on and off of years. At one point I felt a hair there and thought it was one that became caught in there after trimming.  It hurt and I felt to afraid to pull it out. Eventually I think it worked its way out on its own.  This time it was brought to my attention by my husband.  We are just now getting back into sex after the birth of my daughter.  He told me that he thought a stitch had become stuck under my clitoral hood, but that doesn't make sense because a stitch would have dissolved long ago.  When I checked today, I saw what I thought was one thick black hair sticking out from under my clitoral hood.  I sort of wiped it with my finger, and it came out painlessly.  When I inspected it, I saw that it was actually a cluster of very fine hairs, all the same length.  I wonder if you iced the area enough to numb it a bit, you might be able to manipulate the area enough to get to the hair/s.  When you pull it out, it really does not hurt.  Best of luck to you.  What a weird condition we have!  Glad to know it's not just me.  
I have had exactly the same thing since my teenage years.
First time the cluster of fine, straight hairs revealed themselves I wondered what on earth it was & felt very scared. I'd have been about 18 I think.
Next time was in my thirties & my partner was witness to this cluster of hairs that appeared from under the hood of my clitoris.
It was astounding after all those years & made me realise I didn't "imagine" it.
The hairs definitely grow from within my hood, I am 100% certain of that,
These days I get one thicker one more regularly.
I always known when it's there as I get that sharp pain others describe here.
Sure enough if I go to inspect the area.. . There is is poking out a little.
So glad for a mirror & a bright light to help me get rid of them.
Again I get instant relief once the hair is out.
Keep meaning to mention this to my GP. At least my partner believes me......
As a girl who once was embarrassed by how hairy her legs were au natural, Nair was a complete godsend: not only did it avoid the ingrown hairs, razor burn, and worst of all the stubble, my skin stayed smooth so much longer. But the biggest reason I recommend it so strongly to my girlfriends is because I no longer am as hairy even if I let my hair grow!

I now only apply Nair once every three weeks to my legs and underarms, which is all I need to keep them smooth!

When I had hair under my clitoral hood, I finally ignored the warnings on the bottle and applied a generous amount of to my entire pubic area. It can cause rashes on sensitive skin, but even though my skin is soft that has never been an issue.

It definitely solved the problem for me, and while I can guarantee other ladies will have the same success I had, it's definitely something they should consider... especially if they've never used Nair on a regular basis for their legs and armpits.
Please make sure you see my post above, alright hun?
2014 and the weird hairs are still grow/appearing in women's hoods. The doctors do not know of the phenomena, and that makes me believe that there is a conspiracy going on here. They are trying to hide a secrete about the painful thorn like hair. It may have been around longer than the internet has.  Tall Tales similar to the one where a lion gets a thorn stuck in his foot have left sign, or evidence than this has happened before. There are good lessons to be learned in the tales. Those hairs- though- are very painful. I've felt them under my skin since the age of 7. I didn't know they where hairs until I was 19 and I saw one peeking out, but right when I was going to pull it I clenched from the pain and it crawled back in to haunt me a little while longer. Thank God for tweezers! I was just able to take it out, and I'm so happy that I had to post about it.
I too suffered this horrible pain and it was a hair! I checked things out down there after reading this thread and found a long sharp hair stuck on the inside of my clitoral hood. It was behind the clit. I don't even think it was my hair, I think it belonged to my dog. It was small but it hurt every time I moved or touched down there! Like a stabbing needle-like pain. I underestimated how many nerve endings were really in the clit. The hair came out easily and my pain was relieved immediately so I knew that's what it was.
If it was your dog's hair how did it get there?
About five years ago, I experienced an excutiating stabbing pain in my clitorus. After a day of agony and waiting for it subside on its own, I decided to pull back the skin and take a look. There it was... A thick 3/4 of an inch blonde hair that looked like a bristle from a broom! I'm a brunette, so I really didn't think that pesky little blonde hair was growing from my body. All I knew was that wanted it out, so I mustered up the courage to grab my tweezers and pull on it to see if it was attached to me. It wasn't! It was just a loose hair that somehow got stuck. I finally realized it was from my boyfriend's facial hair. You never think of things like that! It's happened to me about five times since then. I don't know why! Maybe he trims his facial hair right before certain physical activities??
Excuse the typo.. excruciating***
I was really happy to find this post.  I have been suffering with unexplained clitoral pain for almost a year and a half.  I could never quite pinpoint the exact location and couldn't find an obvious cause even after extensive searching under the hood.  To make matters worse, I had a very traumatic gyno appointment in which the doctor, for lack of a better term, "manhandled" me down there while looking for the problem.  I was sobbing hysterically because it hurt so bad, and she seemed to think I was just being overdramatic.  I filed a complaint and switched doctors immediately following.  My new doctor performed a hysteroscopy under anesthesia for another issue and checked things out while I was under but didn't find anything amiss.  Meanwhile, I was still so sensitive I was terrified to let my boyfriend (who is a doctor) touch me or go down on me.  He started to think that I was exaggerating the pain in my mind because of the previous trauma, or that I was causing further damage by continuing to examine the area, and he said I might need biofeedback therapy.  So I felt like everyone thought I was nuts.  I tried everything from changing soaps, to not touching anything down there at all, to cutting all the liners out of my underwear, to ordering ridiculously expensive custom undies.  Nothing worked.  Then just last night, the pain was so bad even just while sitting, that I did one more check of the area.  And there was a quarter inch long thick hair growing under the hood!  I couldn't believe it.  It definitely had not been there on previous inspections, maybe it hadn't grown to a visible length yet.  I tried to pluck it out myself, but it hurt even to touch the tweezers to the hair.  So my boyfriend dripped lidocaine on the area, I took a Xanax and a swig of Mezcalrita, and he plucked it out.  And it was definitely growing there, not just stuck there, because it had a root (and he's a doctor, remember, so he knows).  So this morning I am cautiously optimistic that this is the answer I've been looking for.  I haven't felt any pain except a little soreness since the offending hair was plucked.  I might be able to wear normal underwear again!  If this is the solution, I am definitely telling my gyno so that she can help other women who have the same kind of pain.  They really are clueless about this.  I found many articles on the sort of phantom pain "vulvodynia," and I would bet a large number of those women are actually suffering from a sneaky little hair somewhere.  Also, several women in this post mentioned finding a white bump.  I have also found some before, and mine turned out to be little wads of toilet paper that got stuck up there.  So please be aware that is also a possible source of irritation.  Good luck everyone!  Please share your stories with your doctors so they can become aware of this hair issue and treat other women quickly, so they don't have to suffer like we did.                    
This just happened to me. I've had clitoral pain for 3 months but today was particularly bad and I'd been noticing a clitoral discharge the last few days. In applying some hydrocortisone cream to calm the inflammation until I see my doctor in two days I felt something prickly. In examining more I discovered two hairs poking out. I grabbed them with tweezers and they just slid out. No pain at all and I didn't pull like I was plucking a hair I just used them because the hairs were exposed so little. Anyways, they were exactly the same length (about an inch) and both and those little nobby root parts. This makes me think they were somehow growing from the inside surface of my urethera. I'll definitely be asking my Gyno about this when I see her in two days. I really hope it's not possible because I don't know if I can deal with this pain on the regular for the time it takes the hair length to reach the outside where I can pull it out.
what if u no longer see  the hair is definitely still there ! I believe it some how retracted some how an
beyond the non stop pain still there.. Please give me an idea how to remove when i cannot see unless engorged ?? and even then i still cant see,, YES ITS STILL THERE !!!
I seriously thought I was the only one, or doing something wrong... I've experienced this for probably 5-6 years now from my college years to just 5 minutes ago when I pulled another out and finally thought, "I should google this".  Thankfully I was raised very sex and body conscious/positive and so in college when I felt a pain I dug around up there until I saw and pulled out a clump of hairs from under the clitoral hood.  (I wasn't scared of "plucking" them as I figured they'd gotten stuck.)  I've dealt with this approximately monthly since then... just always figured it was hairs trapped from shaving, and have gone through great pains to try and ensure no hair gets caught.  Well, I finally noticed that they have the follicle root at the end and finally had to wonder, egad, does it grow up there?  I will be asking my gyno about this when I go in in a few weeks, see if she's seen anything like it, and if not, hopefully educate her.  I wonder if stray follicles under the hood are present and they activate according to hormonal balance/changes, or what's up with that.  But based on how careful I've been with what underwear and loose clothing I wear, and shaving procedures, I am 99% convinced it's growing up there.  Good thing it doesn't hurt to remove!  Now I can just be on the lookout and give myself a quick 'exam' every time I come out of the shower for new ones.
I had this problem and went to a doctor. Said I have a fused clitoral hood, which means I can't pull it back, so things are more likely to get trapped inside, like hair and smegma. It can be like that from birth, or develop from a disease that causes scarring in that region. I think mine has always been this way. Can be corrected by surgery, but its optional.
Same thing happens to me. I frequently get hairs under my hood. I started noticing it a few years ago. Sometimes its stray hairs from shaving, sometimes its fuzz or lint, sometimes its dog hair, sometimes its little bits of toilet paper. All of these things can end up in there from your laundry, and towels. It happens from either your clothes or when youre drying off the area after bathing. The holes and discoloration people describe can be from the hair being there for so long that it actually stabs a hole or embeds there, or can just be erosion from it rubbing there for so long. Its not comfortable to dig around under there. I use the end of a thin qtip dipped in some lube to try to dig it out and then use the tweezers to grab it. The lube is a great help as theres less friction and pain. It happens so often to me that im always aware of whats going on under there after i shave or feel any kind of discomfort.
As for it growing under there, it hasnt happened to me personally, but i wouldnt be surprised. Be careful when poking around, the skin is really thin and tears easily. Good luck ladies, and knowledge is power!
Dusting some baby powder helps to find the hair because it shows up immediately! Trust me it helps if you can't see where the hair is.
I have had the same thing- an occasional super sore clitoris that is way sensitive to the touch and very uncomfortable. While taking a bath one day, I pulled the hood back and there was a hair that I figured must've been a stray that had gotten stuck up there and pulled it right out. This morning I had the same sensitivity and there was a hair again. Easy to pull out but had a follicle at the end so now I know that it's growing from there. Sorry to closed minded dr bf but you are wrong. You must be a man- telling women what's possible and not with our bodies instead of listening... so irritating. Anyway- it's obviously possible if so many experience it. Sad that because of women being told that we must be crazy, so many don't even trust their own eyes and what they've found to be true. Glad I found this- so we all know we aren't alone!
I'm 31 years old. I have been suffering from mysterious clit/vulvar/urethra pain for almost 6 months. I've been to my family doctor three times, she's run tests for UTI, STD's, pap, bacteria, etc... and of course they always come back clean. The last visit I had she prescribed a combination fungicide and steriod cream to apply. I applied it all over my vulva and felt some immediate relief but it didn't last more than a few hours.

So hmm I thought the steriod must have calmed the inflammation, but from what? So I sat down after a shower and tried to lift up the hood to take a look at my clit. It hurts so bad to pull back the hood and I've never done it in my life.

I noticed some smegma coming out right above my clit so I squeezed it gently and this orange pus came out (ewww) followed by two public hairs that obviously got trapped in there from shaving. I felt almost immediate relief (my hood is really sore from being pulled back because it's so tight but I'm hopeful that it'll heal).

Now I have a pinhole there that I'm trying not to disturb and will keep an eye on it in case it gets infected. Who'd have thought?

So I didn't have hair growing there (but I believe all of you that say it does grow there) but the trapped hair had been plaguing me for months! I am 100% certain it got trapped there after shaving at some point. I am so glad I'm not alone, thank goodness for websites like this :) Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. Feel good to not be crazy and not be alone. Take care.
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have a nursing degree and had no clue! I woke up one morning with some clitoris pain but, I ignored it for two days. Days later it's still irritated. I slap some coconut oil on it as I always do but to know avail. Then I decide to pull my hood back and I see a sore and smegma! And I'm like what?! I have been STI tested and came back clean for everything months ago and I have not been sexually active since. So I figured maybe I flicked my bean too hard and my nail cut it or something. At this point I'm mad and annoyed bc it's like, whhhyyyy me?! A day goes by and I decide to look again and that's when I notice a hair up under my hood.. it's small. I have never in my life had a hair under my hood (I'm 33). I soak my tweezers in peroxide and dip them in Vaseline and pull the hair out with no pain :)
I slapped more Vaseline just to help with irritation and it not rubbing against my panties etc..
I think my case is just a loose hair getting caught up under there. I'm praying to the Almighty himself that the hair is the cause of my sore and that it goes away!! I think the hair was there for about a week. Will update and let you ladies know if the sore goes away :)

P.s. The site deleted my comment when I made an account so, I had to rewrite it again off memory. Not sure if the comment had to be approved so if this is posted twice, sorry!!
The hair was the culprit!! A few days after getting it out... it healed and everything is back in working order. I can't believe such a small thing could cause so much turmoil! Glad its over!
Girl, pluck the hair! You need to so it stops the pain. The clitoris is extremely sensitive the pain will be relieved by removal of the hair. It won’t even hurt that bad and it won’t mess anything up. I literally just had the same feelings and pain as you did about an hour ago and checked out my clitoris and saw there was a blonde hair stuck in between my hood and my clitoris (from shaving yesterday), I removed it and all the pain and discomfort is gone. Not 100% your situation but I highly recommend you just pluck it. Trust me!
One can try to use anesthetic (Lidocaine) ointment before removing the hair. The ointment or spray will numb the area rot some time area and there will be no pain. Try it.
It may well be an ingrown hair. It could be cooled up inside the follicle itself. With ingrown hairs you normally just have to bare the pain of extraction. But if it causes you that much pain, then I would see a Gyno and discuss it with them. Repost pls, if what you did and if it worked