Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Excessive bleeding after sex 8 years post IUD and TPU

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

I have been to an OBGYN and GP many times but would like an alternate opinion since it's quite bothersome (an am currently without a GP).  Hx: 8 yrs ago I had an abortion with no acute complications. Months later, copper IUD was inserted. Sex became painful. I bled bright red every time & my partner could feel it with his penis. I had an u/s & the IUD was in the right place. IUD removed 6 mons later. Once removed I hoped things would go back to normal however, I still bled.  He was average to small in size & we weren't having rough sex.  We broke up & I was not having sex for a few years so I had no bleeding issues.  Once I started dating again I tested out some different partners & noticed the smaller dudes did not make me bleed as much (but wasnt as good) & the average to bigger ones did. Certain angles made me bleed more often (me on top). Now that I have a steady partner it is quite an issue (above average in size).  We aren't having rough sex either.  I dont have any STI's (been tested about a dozen times in the last 5 yrs).  When I went to my gynecologist (after IUD removal) I had a colposcopy and biopsy and everything was fine. The only thing my gynecologist done was cauterized my cervix which he said would decrease the amount of bleeding for a period of time (this was about 3 years ago and worked for about 2 months).  At present, the blood is sometimes bright red or sometimes brownish red. It doesn't hurt during sex but a few hours afterwards my uterus is swollen and this could last up to a few days.  It is also uncomfortable to have sex everyday (which I would really like to do). Are there any additional imaging or tests I should ask for? Should I continue to get my cervix cauterized?  I feel like this is just remedying the symptom and not the cause. What might be causing this?  Will I ever be able to have sex without bleeding? I see a lot of posts about bleeding during/after sex but mostly relating to one-time experiences so advice is greatly appreciated.
Hello.

You're asking for answers which can't be given, except by a gynecologist who has examined you. However, I CAN tell you that regular bleeding after penis-vagina sex is not something to be ignored. It can be a sign of fibroid tumors, uterine or cervical polyps and/or many other conditions. Please don't ignore this. If you're not satisfied with your current treatment, get a referral to a gynecologist who has some expertise with sexual issues. Bleeding regularly after sex is a sign that something needs to be taken care of ASAP. Best of luck to you. Dr. J
Thanks Janice I really appreciate your prompt reply.  I am looking into getting another referral with a different gynecologist (when I can get a GP).  It would be good to get an alternate opinion anyway.