Sexuality & Relationships Expert Forum
Irritated vagina after Sex...lasts for days

This forum is for questions and support regarding relationship issues such as: Abstinence, Arousal Problems, Birth Control, Cohabitation, Commitment, Communication, Couples Counseling, Desire /Lack of Desire, Sexual Technique.

I recently married about 6 months ago. I couldn't be happier, except I am having some trouble with our sex life. I would love to be more sexually active with my husband, but almost every time we have sex, my vagina becomes irritated for days, sometimes up to a week or more. It is very upsetting. I experience itchiness, some discharge, sometimes swelling and redness. Usually it just goes away without any "activity" down there. But I really wish there was something I could do. Is there something in particular that causes this? Should I go to the doctor? Am I doomed to only have sex with my husband a few times a month?!

I should note that we do not use condoms and I am on birth control.
Tags: irritable
You should see a doctor- it could be a yeast infection and its easy to clear that up with medication. There are also some other vaginal infections or hormonal imbalances that could cause problems. It could also be some allergy to him- but that is less likely that a yeast infection.. I should also ask- are you using lubricant? You might need to if you are too dry and that is causing irritation after some thrusting during intercourse...

In any case, it is definitely a situation that requires a check up- there is really no need to suffer! This sounds like something that is easily cleared up!!
Initially it sounds like a yeast infection. Couldn't hurt to make an appointment with your doctor and confirm. They'll recommend a simple 1-, 3-, or 7- treatment kit that costs about $20. You definitely should be able to have sex with your husband more than a few times a month, but be warned, once you become sexually active, your vagina will find all kinds of problems you had never dreamed existed. Start reading up on healthy practices you can use to keep your body in good sexual shape. Urinate after sex (prevents UTIs), drink cranberry juice and eat yogurt (to keep bacterial and fungal levels of your vagina at well-balanced levels), and make sure you are both keeping good personal hygiene. In your case, also talk to your doctor about whether it's one long-lasting yeast infection or is there something about your sexual practice that keeps triggering an infection. Good luck!
if u use toys, just a guess, u can be having an allgery to the material. bc i wouldnt think that it would be a infection everytime.
i have that problem with latex but as u stated u dont use condoms.
I don't think it is a reaction to latex/toys because we don't use either. I did think of that, it being an allergy to something but the only thing I can think of is....him! :/
well i think you shouldn't be worried becau
We don't use lubricant. I will try that, and also make an appointment with my doctor. Thanks!
Actually if you are in fact newly wed. Stuff like this is no uncommon.  See the doc and also go to the store and keep some OTC yeast infection treatment stuff on hand.
this last few days me and my boyfriend get sexually active. When january 9 we did 2 or 3 times. Then after that day my vagina eperience swelling, itchiness and redness. But now it became dry
Until now! i dont know what to do.
Possibly you need to use a lubrication?  Are you allergic to spermicides and lubrication.