Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Not sure what to do any more.

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Not sure what to do any more.

I dont even know where to begin. I think my sinus trouble started when i got my wisdom teeth pulled, my DR will argue that that is not even possible. But I have never had trouble like this. I got my occasional upper respiratory, but I have asthma and It's something I used to get once a year. Other than that, I really wan't sick. I keep getting this terrible dark yellow discharge from my nose, which would trigger my asthma, therefore leading to breathing troubles. I then lost my sense of smell. I was seeing my family MD, he was giving me antibiotics and steroids (prednisone or cortizone shots). It only helped for a temporary while. I then decided to see a specialist because i was exhausted from getting sick so frequently and all the medicine and the bills. I would see a sinus/allergist once every week and receive my allergy shots. I got my asthma undercontroll again, but i still could not smell. I saw her for almost 8 months once a week... It was getting expensive and i could not feel a change, i still got my sinus infections. So I then decided to see a different specialist that she recommended. I was going to an ENT. He then would also put me on lots of antibiotics and steriods. I saw him every two weeks before and after my sinus surgery. This went on for almost 6 months. He treated me like garbage and was extremely rude. So I switched ENT and I found out they were not within my network for my insurance. I had to pay almost 600$ to see that MD for only 30 minutes (but this MD was amazing, and gave me the best treatment that worked without having to take any oral meds). I am not seeing any more specialists at this time and have a new family MD. But I feel like i am back at square one. I still have no sense of smell, my asthma is not controlled, my breathing treatments are not working and my rescue inhaler doesnt help. I cant get ride of this active infection. Oh which i forgot to mention, I got a staph infection from the first ENT. I am not sure if I still have the staph infection, the second ENT treated it, but i was unable to follow up with that physician. I am at my wits end, i dont know what to do any more, i get winded so easily, I cant sleep because i cant breath, I am exhausted and just beat from always being sick, my heart rate has gone up and i have chest pain too ( i had an ekg and i am in a normal sinus rhythm, pain is probably because i cant breath?) . I am 25 years old and I feel like an old person because i am on a ton of meds. Any suggestions would help. I just miss being able to smell flowers and home cooking. Thank you for your time!
I really feel for you, at your age I had very different health problems, I thought as i got older I would get better and better, no such luck, some times like you I feel as if I have been cursed too, I cannot give you any help, but a couple of old fashioned remedies, have you tried eucalyptus oil in a bowl of hot water, keep a towel over your head and breath it in, I am sure if you do this before bed you may have better breathing, also, eat lots of honey, see if anywhere sells a honey called Manuka, it is pricey but it is full of natural antibiotics.  Steroids and jabs are not good for you, have you read my story, so take note and be careful.
also put the eucalyptus oil on your chest and breath it in with your  mouth open.
All the very best and a big hug.
I too have a psuedomonas infection. I never had a follow up ct scan after my surgery. I am terrified, and what you had to go through is awful. I swear if you are interested in talking on the phoen i would love to share with you the medicine i am on, it helps tremendously, and its not oral! its just liek a netty pot! let me know if you are interested in talk ing on the phone my email is ***@****  

I knew about the honey, but not the eucalyptus. Thank you for sharing that with me! hope you are having a fabulous weekend!
katie,

P.S how did you find out you had an abses (abscess)... did you feel it, what were your signs and symptoms. I wonder if i have somethign similar to that, ia m not even sure if my infect went away yet.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your concern. Sinusitis is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and sometimes a post nasal drip. Sinus infections can cause stuffiness of the nose with nasal blockage, which can make breathing through the nose difficult and loss of smell. It can also cause post nasal drip and lead to an irritation in the throat. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear the infection. In the meantime practice good breathing exercises, humidify your room and do steam inhalations. Allergy testing and desensitization may help.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.