Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Very discomforting tight head & face.

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Very discomforting tight head & face.

So, this is how it all started- on 16th of Oct, i fell really sick with a fever...i ignored it but even after 5 days, when it would not go away, i had a blood test done & was tested positive for dengue. i took medications & my fever vanished around 23rd Oct...but i was feeling really weak till atleast the end of Oct. Now, my weakness is nearly gone but a  few days earlier i suffered from a hot flush on my face & my face was all red & dry & painful. I used a moisturiser & my face was normal again, but then my sinus problems increased (i've always had sinus problems) & now i am suffering from post nasal drip & a burning sensation in my cheeks (basically the cheek bones). My symptoms are like this-

1. I feel my head is really tight. Like i have something very tight wrapped around my head. it starts from my forehead area & goes to the back of my head. Its also present at the ends of my lower jaw, below the ear. if i raise my head to look up or move it sideways, i can feel a sort of stretching, like something is trying to hold me back.my actual skin is normal though, i can stretch & release it just fine.

2. The tightness problem increases & almost becomes unbearable if i wash my face with cold water. if i don't wet my face at all, the problems are reduced significantly.

3. The burning sensation in my cheeks also start after i've washed my face, if i my face is dry, i don't feel any discomfort.

4. I don't really have any headache. but sometimes the back & the upper part of my head hurt a bit..its not very painful & i can keep working as usual though.

btw, I am 24yrs old.

Is this all caused by my sinus troubles or is there a chance of something more serious happening? please suggest what i should do to relieve myself. Thanx a lot.
Update- Surprisingly,even now i don't have any prolonged or severe headache or pain anywhere. But the tightness is a severe discomfort.
I also have a mild dizziness & imbalance problem. like when i'm walking, i feel i am not walking straight. its not severe but there's certainly a problem. today the area of tightness seems to have shifted. it now ranges from my forehead, top of my head & back of my head. its still present in the lower jaw region under my ears but the tightness seems more on the left side of my face than on my right side. i've also noticed that the tightness increases during the evening when the weather's cooler. it also increases if i am sitting in an A.C room.The burning sensation has not gone away completely but its not as painful as earlier. anyway, i am going for a checkup tomorrow.lets see. i am hoping its just sinus problems & nothing severe.
UPDATE : I went to an E.N.T doctor & told him of my conditions...he suggested me allegra (fexofenadine hydrochloride tablets) for my sinus allergies & myospaz forte (chlorzoxazone 500 mg, diclophenac potassium 50 mg, paracetamol 500 mg) for the tightness problem, its supposed to be some sort of muscle relaxant...i am supposed to take these for three days & the second day has nearly passed. ( i went to him on 16th of this month), i don't feel that relieved though..the area of tightness keeps on shifting...its more prominent around my ear region, below the ears in & around the lower jaws, its also present near my upper head region all the way above the ear..

by the way, i forgot to mention this- i had been suffering from mild pain in my shoulder & neck regions since a few months, (much like spondylitis pain) ,the pain was more strong during the mornings & i could crack my neck (i don't know how to explain this, its like cracking your knuckles), i could do this by holding my head between my hands & twisting it in opposite directions. i'd always hear a cracking or popping sound when i did this...but ever since this tightness problem started, the pain in my shoulder & back of the neck has nearly gone away & i cannot crack my neck, no matter how i try, which has led me to believe that the problem is not related to my sinus troubles but rather something else..i have no idea what to do now.. please suggest.
UPDATE 5/ 12/ 2011 : The tightness problem seems to have lessened a lot. Its only present around the top of my head to the back of my head now, behind my ears. But if i am in a cold environment (like sitting in an AC room), i can feel the tightness more prominently, i think it intensifies with lower temps. the region of tightness is however only the back of the head. my face, forehead & region below the ear etc don't feel tight anymore. I can also wash my face with cold water without any problems now. I think i am getting better, although i am not sure when i'll be completely well.
ADD TO PREVIOUS POST :

I sometimes feel a tight pressure on the bridge of my nose, in & around the region of my eyes. its basically at the inner corners of my eyes & on the bridge of my nose. it feels like something is pressing down on my nose or gripping that area very tightly...whenever this happens, i can feel the tightening behind my head increase...which leads me to think, its all because of my sinusitis.
More INFO : I have noticed that the tightening can be most felt during the morning, after i wake up...it tends to stay this way for a couple of hours, then it starts to lessen, but it doesn't go away completely. its there every hour of the day but during the day, its not so strong. Another weird thing i noticed is that if i plug in my earphones ( the in- ear, ear bud types ) & listen to music or watch a movie, i don't feel the tightening so much, it almost seems to go away...its like the tightening increases if i think about it too much..i think i should go see a neurologist about all this...
Got a CT scan done (PNS, limited). here's the results-

0.6 mm coronal sections were obtained and were later reconstructed using a sharp algorithm.

Mild patchy polypoidal mucosal thickening is seen involving bilateral mucosal sinuses with minimal inflammatory soft tissue and retained secretions on the right side. bilateral hallar cells and mucosal thickening are causing obliteration of left ostiomeatal unit and narrowing of right ostiomeatal unit.

Bilateral ethmoid, frontal and sphenoid sinuses are normal.

Bony sinus & orbital walls are intact.

No soft tissue mass or bone erosion is seen.

Nasal septum exhibits deviation to left side with bony nasal spur.

Right septal concha is seen with partial paradoxical curvature of right middle turbinate. Mild right turbinate hypertrophy is seen.
HI, i have the same type of tightness above my right eye and i have been sleeping with a pillow on my head for years. I also find it gets much worse when I am in anyplace that the air starts to move. It does not have to be a/c it can also be the simple ventalation system in a building.  Airplanes also. I try to cover my forehead and it subsides. Very strange and I get nothing from the doctors.
Could you have Chiari malformation?
Hi there

I have similar symptoms as yours for 2 mos.
Im hoping you can get my email. Are you now cured? I really need help. I feel so depressed because of this... My email is ***@****
Please reach me..

Mary
Omg i have simular symptoms the tightness is soo bad :'( help please
Hi guys, it seems you may be suffering from tight neck muscles. Has anyone ever considered this / had this diagnosis? I noticed the original poster (himadri) noted that he/she had less pain when the pain in the neck and shoulders subsided...