Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
sinus and lung problems

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

sinus and lung problems

I'm 28 and female. I get sinus infections fairly often throughout the year. This last one started about two weeks ago. At first it seemed like a normal sinus infection....stuffy nose and head, sore throat from drainage, cough and bright green phlegm.  Then it started to turn into a horrible croupy sounding couch that left me tossing ans turning at night. About 4 days ago I woke up feeling like I was drowning. I gasped for air and coughed and coughed as if trying to get fluid out of my lungs but nothing would come up. I started to wheeze and all day long it feels like there is fluid in there. Its hard to take a deep breath and when I inhale I have a sharp stabbing pain in my jaw down into my shoulder/collarbone and into my chest. I went to the doctor and she listened to my lungs for a second and then asked me if I wanted cough syrup for my cough. I said yes but asked what she thought about the chest pain. She said the way I describe it, it sounds like I have a fluid filled sac on my lungs but she didn't hear it so I could go home and if I got worse come back for an xray. Since I went to the doc my cough is much better with the cough syrup. The second I miss a dose I'm back to where I was before. My chest pain has continued off and on since the doctor. Also, my nose is still so congested that I can't breath through it but has become so dry that it hurts to even touch. It stings. I feel like the doctor blew me off since I don't have insurance. So, now what?!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still have the symptoms that you mentioned? If the cough and nasal congestion persisted, additional diagnostic tests such as imaging studies may need to be done to determine the underlying cause. If the symptoms persisted, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted. Best regards.