Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Choking after UPPP surgery... Any advice please

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Been on the CPAP for the last year. three months ago I had a septoplasty...All went well. Two weeks ago I had UPPP surgery and ever since the first night as soon as I fall asleep I start choking. Seems like even when I'm awake i can take a deep breath through my nose and feel my tonge/throat closing off. I"ve video taped myself sleeping the last few nights and it's happening about every 5 to 10 minutes. I'm choking on the inhale...I think im drawing my tongue back in my throat when i'm breathing in. I've called the ENT and he thinks i need to contact the doctor that wrote the script for the cpap and have the settings changed. I've turned the pressure back a few different clicks myself with no improvement. I don't even know what to ask....Is their anymore that can be done to help me...Before the surgery was performed the ENT said  the ultimate sleep apnea surgery was jaw relocation ( I have a pretty significant overbite) ....Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.
Bernard746,

It's difficult to say without looking at you, but it sounds like you're already doing all the right things. You may need to give it some more time, but in the meantime, you may need to adjust your CPAP machine in a more formal way. Adjusting it on your own randomly isn't advised. Talk to your sleep doctor - he or she may recommend a re-titration. Another option to consider is an oral appliance, assuming that you meet the criteria.
Thanks, I have an appt. tomorrow.