Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Oxygen for sleep apnea

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Oxygen for sleep apnea

I have been dianosed with mild sleep apnea but was told I didnt need the mask,,,,,,,,,,,now a year later my heart dr had me to a oxygen sensor test at home and it showed i stopped breathing 75 times that night so Dr.says we will try oxygen treatment at night and see if that helps me.Im scared I also have severe anxiety and take ativan and abilfy for that.Will oxygen help me Im so dizzy all the time.I have gained weight and my Dr alos just prscribed Phentemine diet pills(sorry if not spelled right) Im even scared to take the pills after reading it could cause faintness and i already feel faint alot .Are these pills safe,,,the dr is a cardilogist...........Please any advice would help Thank You
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your heart doctor should talk to your sleep doctor. Even mild sleep apnea should be treated. They've shown that even stopping breathing once every hour is more dangerous than none at all. The official cut off for sleep apnea is 5 apneas or hypopneas every hour. These are total or partial breathing pauses that last 10 seconds or greater. If you've gained weight, it's possible that your sleep apnea is now worse.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Forgot to mention that oxygen is not the treatment for sleep apnea. Helping you to breathe better one way or another without obstruction is the best way of treating this condition.