Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Sleep Paralysis?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sleep Paralysis?

For some time now I have struggled with what I know believe to be sleep paralysis. Often, I awake unable to move or speak and when I finally regain mobility I find myself gasping for breath and completely terrified. Also, almost everytime I wake up my toes are extremely cold and have no feeling or mobility for several minutes. However, more recently the symptoms are worsening. For example, last night I awoke completely unable to move or speak and this lasted for longer than usual. Once I was able to move I jumped out of bed and ran into the door screaming but it was as if I had no control over these actions. After sitting back down I realized that my right arm had absolutely no feeling and hung loose by my side almost as if it was dislocated. The lack of feeling in my arm lasted for nearly 20 minutes and then slowly I began to regain feeling, starting with my pinky finger. It felt nothing like my arm simply being "asleep" and I don't remember having been sleeping on it when I woke up. I tried to brush the incident off and go back to sleep but I awoke about an hour later unable to move again. I told my fiancé this morning and he just kind of laughed and told me that I worry too easily but this was a very terrifying experience and I would really appreciate some sort of explanation. I know that sleep paralysis is probably nothing to worry over but are most experiences that severe? Mine have never been in the past.
What you're describing is common. If it doesn't improve, consider seeing a sleep doctor.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank