Sleep Apnea / Disorders Expert Forum
Twilight sedation and sleep apnea

Questions in the Sleep Apnea / Disorders Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Twilight sedation and sleep apnea

First, I want to thank you for all of your dedication to help us with our sleep apnea issues. Now to my question. I am going in for an upper endoscopy and they are giving me twilight sedation. I am very nervous that I will stop breathing from the medications either during the procedure or recovery. Of course my doctor knows I have sleep apnea, but I am still concerned. What is your expeience/opinion about twilight sedation and sleep apnea? During my sleep study I had hypopneas only.
Thank you.
Avatar dr m tn
There are well defined guidelines about endoscopy with sedation in people with obstructive sleep apnea. Definitely mention it to your anesthesiologist. If dealt with appropriately, risk should be minimal.