Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
Should I stop seeing a chiropractor?

The spinal cord is the part of the nervous system that relays messages to and from the brain. Discuss topics including spinal stenosis, spinal cord injury or damage and treatment methods.

Should I stop seeing a chiropractor?

I'd like to start by apologizing for the length of my post, and I hope that this is the correct area to post my question in. If not, then I'm really sorry!

Okay, so I'm a 22 year old woman and last year, I started having problems with a pinched nerve in my neck, causing numbness and pain in my arms, hands, and face, dizziness, twitching, stiffness, and slight weakness in my limbs. It actually made me so scared, that I landed up making my symptoms worse and even started developing new symptoms such as not being able to sleep at all at night and having a fluttering/rippling feeling in my chest. I felt like I was dying. I started to experience anxiety attacks very often and eventually experienced one so severe, that my husband had taken me to the ER. They performed a few physical tests and an MRI which all came up normal, so I was sent home. A couple of days later, I went to a chiropractor to help with my neck problems, and it seemed to be helping. After about 10 adjustments or so, I started to feel pretty good, and I stopped going.

Recently again, I've been experiencing just about all of the same symptoms again and have been experiencing neck problems. I had moved since the last time I had received chiropractic treatment and just yesterday had visited a new chiropractor here in Japan, and woke up this morning with a throbbing headache that felt like it was radiating from the back of my head on the left side and behind my eye and nose and had caused slight drooping of my left eyelid. I took some ibuprofen and the pain went away in 30 minutes, but my eyelid stayed slightly droopy for about an extra hour, then it kind of fixed itself. I tried to find out what may have caused this by looking it up online and found out that chiropractic treatment (especially on the neck) could cause TIAs and stroke. I'm really scared now, and I wonder if I should discontinue seeing my chiropractor? I'm worried that I may one day write off a TIA as an anxiety attack one day (as they share many similar symptoms, I've read) only to have a full blown stroke later down the road all because of having repeatedly gone to a chiropractor. What should I do?

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I am so sorry u have not gotten the proper care and that u seem frustrated by the care u have had so far.....

First, if  the Chiropractor did not do xrays and MRI's to see what is going on, stop going...as it can make the situation worse depending on what it may be.

If u do not have copies of ur MRI or the report call the facility that did the study and request both the MRI on CD and a copy of the written report.If they ask y, say u r going for a 2nd opinion....

Many times things can show on a MRI that many Drs consider incidental....and it may be that incidental finding that is causing ur issues.

There are several conditions that can cause symptoms like u mentioned....but do get copies of ALL testing going forward with reports so u can have them on hand for review by future Drs.....

Avoid the chiro's for now....and keep us posted on how u r doing.,
I landed up going to the ER last night due to extreme pain all over my body, and they did only a physical test where they tested my grip on both both hands and had me lift up my arms and make sure I could hold them over my head, and then they sent me home with some pain medicine and muscle relaxers as they said they don't think what I'm experiencing is anything neurological, but somehow I'm still not quite sure.... I kind of still want them to check if there's a vertebral artery dissection just in case because I've heard so many horror stories about them just sneaking up on people and causing a stroke, especially having woken up this morning feeling pretty dizzy and numb. In the mean time, tomorrow morning I have an appointment to see if I can do anything about my neck and back problems without seeing a chiropractor.

I am so sorry, I know how frustrating it is to try and get answers......and to feel badly and not getting better.

I hope the muscle relaxers help,....

Ask for copies of testing u have had to date, including copies of ur MRI's etc....

Good Luck tomorrow.