dextroconvex scoliotic deformity??
Hello;

First of all thank you for having this site available to people who have concerns and questions, I have been stuggling to make some sense of information I have just received.

I am a 40 year old female who has had no past diagnosis of scoliosis until now....

A little history... Never had any back pain in my life until 2011.2 yrs ago I hurt my lower back lifting a large box. Lower back CT revealed only a sprain to my lower lumbar area and all vertebra looked normal in the L1 to L5 region. Had a bit of pain but nothing much. It cleared up for the most part. I only had mild back ache from time to time since then.
In April, 2013, I hurt my back at work one day and needed to get x-rays done. "The xrays showed my spine to be curved" I was told, so the Dr. requested a CT of my upper thoracic area. This is what my CT said:

TECHNIQUE:

CT scan of the lower cervical/upper thoracic spine was obtained with coverage from C5-T5 vertebral body level.

FINDINGS:
There is a fusion of the anterior elements of C5- C6 vertebral bodies. Posterior elements have not been well assessed as they have not been completely included in the field of view. There is presumed fusion of the pars interarticulars of C5-C6 vertebral bodies.

C7 vertebral body is normal.
There is a fusion of anterior elements of T3and T4 vertebral body. There is incomplete fusion of the anterior elements of T3 vertebral body with resultant hemi vertebra. There is a fusion of the right-sided pars interarticularis of T3 and T4 vertebral body.

There is a resultant dextroconvex scoliotic deformity.

T5 is normal.

Visualized lung apex are normal.

Pre and paravertebral soft tissues are normal.

IMPRESSION:
Fusion of C5-C6 vertebral body. Fusion of T3-T4 vertebral body with associated T3 hemivertebral body. Findings are presumed secondary to congenital spinal segmentation anomaly. Correlation with prior radiographs is suggested.

Can anyone help me understand this better? Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Spinal C/D forum.

We are not medical professionals so we can not  answer what this report means....I would question ur Dr regarding the statement -"Posterior elements have not been well assessed as they have not been completely included in the field of view."  Does this mean they may want to do another study?

It appears u have some congenital issues going on, not sure if that is why u have the scoliosis or if it is due to  an injury to ur back.....

Many of us that find we have scoliosis to some degree later in life wonder why it was not picked up on during reg screenings as children as I remember being checked for it....we can develop it depending on posture etc....

Do talk with ur Dr and let us know what u find out.....good luck <3