Stress Community
Double vision, lack of focus- stress related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

I don't know if stress could cause this but....Recently I have been getting double vision a lot.  It is brief, and is like the two images do a circle before joining back together.  It happens when I open my eyes, or quickly look at  the other side of a room, like my eyes can't focus quickly enough to keep up.  It mostly only happens when I am in class and really tired, so I didn't think much of it, but I have been getting about 7 hours of sleep every night, haven't pulled any all nighters, and it is still happening.  I then thought it may be a psychological thing of "i don't like this class, i don't want to pay attention, here is an excuse..." but I go to UCLA and have always had classes I didn't like but I always paid attention and worked hard in them. It would be very uncharacteristic so I don't think it is that either.  

When it happens I usually go to sleep, i can't read or pay attention because since things won't focus I blink and then they start their circle thing again making me dizzy.  

Are there any medications that can cause this?  I take Cymbalta, Welbutrin and Ambien
I was waiting to see if someone else maybe could give you any answer to this. I do know that when we're tired, we can have the muscles of our eyes "wear out" and our vision can get double. I don't know how common that is though.

I would rather investigate further on the meds you use. Read up on the leaflets, or search for the drug name on:

www.drugs.com

Good luck!

Florena
I have the same syptoms (symptoms) but I take citraplam a generic celexa.  I have a really hard time remebering what I am studying in school.  Like my brain can't retain the information.  Some days are worse than others.  I was wondering if it was the meds.  I don't like feeling that "no control feeling".

I read my homework and go to do my work and I don't recall what I have read.  I was hoping this would of relaxed me enough that I could of focused better.  I completely went the other direction.

Please let me know if you can remember what you read or hear at school.

smerila
I have been taking a low dose of ambien for 10 years as a sleep aid.  recently, I have had incidents of intermittant double vision lasting only 10- 20 minutes.  I had every test imaginable with 2 neurologists and everything is fine.  I have no health issues.  I am thinking, could it be the ambien?
Concerned