Stress Community
chest tightness and tingly left arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stress, anger, chronic illness, depression, diabetes, diet and nutrition, divorce or relationship, family, fitness, headaches, memory, panic attacks, pregnancy, relaxation, sex, sleep, and work.

chest tightness and tingly left arm

I am a 17 year old girl with no history of any heart problems.
two weeks ago on tuesday I had my mom call 911 because I felt shortness of breath and my heart started beating very fast.
So I went to the emergency room and they did all kinds of tests such as an ekg, they tested my thyroid, a brain scan, and they did many blood tests and all of it came back fine with no signs of any problems. Also my blood pressure was 120/80, my pulse was fine, and breathing was really good they said.
They told me that I had an anxiety attack and I have had a history of anxiety for almost 3 years untreated but never had an anxiety attack before, only felt anxiety in certain situations.
I have been under alot of stress lately due to my mom just having surgery and us in the process of moving.
And ever since i went to the emergency room ive been feeling like chest tightness and tingling and it runs into my left arm along with alittle pressure it feels on my throat.
Also sometimes my left arm feels achey (achy).
I went to have a follow up a week ago and the doctor said my left shoulder was very tense and she said its my back shoulder muscle that is giving me the trouble and she put me on 500mg naproxin. I asked her if she thought it had anything to do with my heart and she said it didnt because it would have came up on my ekg and she said im too young. I also told her I had anxiety but she said i needed to talk to a different doctor about that.
I am over weight but every check up i have im always healthy.
ive just been extremely on edge lately thinking something is going to happen to me or they missed something or im dying because of the tightness and the feeling in my arm. It also isnt constant it comes and goes.
i don't know how to relax and i was wondering if you think it is anxiety or if its something more serious.
I just need all the opinions i can get to calm down. i hate feeling this way.
well if anyone could help i would be so greatful.
thank you
Well if you ask me, I say what you need is some time  to relax. Ease up on things that get you worked up and keep going to your check ups. So long as they keep making sure everything is working normally, all you have to worry about is making sure that you dont get yourself too worked up on little things. Stress of any kind, even the kinds that are a daily thing can cause anxiety, jitters, and a bunch of other symptoms. Nothing is wrong with you, your body is just a bit over active due to your thoughts. If you worry too much that something may be wrong with you, then your body will start to think so and try to fight off what isnt there, making you believe that you are sick when indeed your not. So just try to relax, and you'll feel better, trust me.
I am only 20, and have had the same problem. I have gone to the emegency room twice thinking that i was literally dying. It is anxiety. Best thing I can tell you is to go see a doctor and get put on something. i take lexapro, and it keeps my anxiety under control. I dont have any attacks on the medicine. but you do need time to relax. stress and anxiety can cause a whole boat load of problems for you and your body. Your body can trick itself into thinking something much worse is going on, too. Talk to your family doctor, or maybe a therapist. There are also meds that you can take only when you feel like an anxiety attack is coming on, if you dont want to take something everyday.

Good Luck!
HI, I GOT SHINGLES BECAUSE OF STRESS, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO GET THINGS BECAUSE OF STRESS , I DID THE SAME THING ABOUT MY HEART BUT I HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE THINK OF ALL THE THINGS THAT GO ON IN YOUR LIFE, AND SEE WHAT CAN BE CAUSING THE TROUBLE. IF YOU GOT CHECKED OUT THEN GO WITH THAT OR GET A SECOND DOCTOR THAT IS RIGHT FOR WHAT YOU GOT . 500mg naproxin IS A FLAMORTORY PILL FOR THE MUSCLES .  DID HE GIVE YOU ANY THING FOR STRESS. DO YOU HAVE A RASH OF ANY KIND.  I HAD TINGLING FELLING AND A PAIN UNDER MY BREAST BONE TO THE ONE SIDE OF MY BACK TO MY SPINE . THE DOCTOR SAID IF ITS JUST ONE SIDE OF YOUR BODY THEN ITS SHINGLES . SO I'M STRESSING OUT IS IT MY HEART CANCER, THINGS LIKE THAT SO I STRESSED OUT I HOPE YOU GET BETTER AND GO TO OTHER DOCTORS AND SEE.