Stroke Community
Alternative for Ativan?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Alternative for Ativan?

My husband had a stroke May 10 and is in Long Term Acute Care after 80+ days in ICU due to a staph infection that got into his bloodstream and wreaked havoc. He is improving well physically but as he improves cognitively he goes through episodes of restlessness where he is all over the bed. The nursing staff gets fed up and dopes him with ativan and then he is unable to do physical therapy or any therapy because he is too sleepy. I cannot be there with him 24/7 as I've had to go back to work.

Any suggestions to help the restlessness other than ativan? He is extremely sensitive to any narcotic.

I experienced the Ativan during MRI's and MRA's....Yikes stripes...The dosed me with 10 mgs each time....
Now I would ask about a muscle relaxer called Lorazepam...Please ask your doctor first...They recommended it after my stroke and I was taking it occasionally before my stroke for severe muscle spasms....What was amazing about the Lorazpam, was that I am a 250 lb male, 6'3"...Just 1 milligram took away my muscle spasms but allowed me to have a clear mind....No dizziness, could think without being "careless" or inserting foot in mouth disease.  The issue is that it can be addicting....But if I was restless, dang..off to beddy bye..without any drug morning hangover....
I am 5 months post stroke and 1 mg of Lorazepam lasts 4-6 hours.
They opted to "ease my mind" through what they call Lexapro as not to cause me from really stressing out due to my inability to work....Lexapro does work, but I feel the brain drag.....
Not all meds are for everybody...I was paranoid even about aspirin until my stroke as meds made me feel weird....Now I feel like "meds" is my middle name....Ask your doc..Can't hurt to ask
Best to you
My dad had a stroke on May 10th also and we have had the same issues with ativan.  Currently they are not giving him anything for the agitation, and my mother and the nurses get very frustrated with him.  He is also in a Long Term Care/Rehab facility.  The ativan knocked him out so bad that he fell asleep during therapy.  I am also very anxious to hear in anyone has suggestions for something other than ativan.
Thanks for your comments. Perhaps there is some confusion here because Ativan is the brand name for Lorazepam.
My bad......I looked it up and you are correct....Maybe because they gave me the maximum dose as was recommended on their website and this wonderful newly adapted "word association"...The heavy does made me almost hallucinate....
I was taking lorazepam before my stroke and I know that 1 mg made me just fine and dandy....
Now it is just Lexapro that calms me down....I have these tremors in my leg and arm that I am also taking baclofen.  It works on me for the quivers, but I am paying for its use mentally as I feel like a zombie....Give up one thing to solve another...Good luck to you though
Thanks for clearing that up and providing me two other drugs to look into for him. I know there must be some alternative that will help calm the agitation (mainly in his legs) without knocking him out. Best of luck to you on your continued improvement!
I have restless leg syndrome. My legs and arms twitch involuntarily at night. Sometimes so bad I kick my wife and pick my arm up in the air and then until it drops down.

I am taking a Parkinson's med called Sinemet. Not sure of the spelling but generic name is carbadopa/levadopa. I am just wondering if something like that might work in this case.

Best of luck!
can ativan cause a stroke? can flouxetine cause a stroke?