Stroke Community
Chance of recovery for a massive brain stem stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

1 week ago my 41 year old brother suffered a massive Ischemic Stroke in the right side of his brain stem. He has a blood clod that starts at the bottom of his right brain stem and travels about 6 inches up the right side of his brain and the clot is about 3 mm round. He also has pnemonia (pneumonia), AIDS, High cholesterol, alot of stress, and is a heavy smoker. He cant move the left side of his body and the right side of his face is drooping, the doc said he will most likely be permanetly blind in his right eye and have blurred vision in his right eye. His right side of his brain has 50% damage. Besides the paralasys, he is just a little different, not quite himself. Doesnt carry on a conversation very well and doesnt seem to know what is going on all of the time. They put him on Heprin to get the blood past the clot so he has a risk of bleeding in the brain. They havent checked his heart and really dont know yet what caused this stroke. The doc dont want to say much about anything yet. If he gets rid of his pnemonia (pneumonia) he will start intentsive physical therapy by the end of the week. My questions are, is this a blot clot he can live with the rest of his life? They gave him the TPA shot but it didnt help. With all these other health issues, does he stand a chance of recovery? How big is this clot compared to average clots? It seems huge to have in your brain. Could it be AIDS related? All i hear is hes not out of the woods yet. When will he be? Have people recovered from a stroke of this size with a clot that big? Any answers, experiences, or thoughts would be helpful at this time. Thank You
I will be 71 years old in April I had an ischemic stroke in 2000 which hs paralysed my left leg and arm  an have been surviving on medication ever since,God willing I will survive to see my Grandaughter go down the isle,she is only Ten years old now.

Col Niebling Australia (***@****) Hope this will help someone.
I had have ha  nad a ischemic stroke on the right side last year they told me I should have been dead I have not shed one tear I cant cry is this aresult from the stroke!!!! Someone please letme Know Thank you