Stroke Community
Diagnose symptons: Twitching on/in right side of head just above top of...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Diagnose symptons: Twitching on/in right side of head just above top of ear

My male roommate, who wears glasses told me that he has had a twitching feeling in his head just above the top of his ear for the past month to 2 mths.  He is only 35, about 20 lbs. overweight, and has had different health issues over the past 5-6 yrs.  He passed out while riding a bike 5-6 yrs. ago, dehydration was diagnosed.  Has had headaches off and on over the past 5-6 yrs. - fiorinal was perscribed;  Palpatations in his chest in the past yr. - determined he has an allergic reaction to acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Sudafed, Excedrin, and other over the counter meds); in April 05 a different weird feeling, like gurgling in his chest - acid reflux was diagnosed, and he's been on over the counter Prilosec ever since, which seems to have cured the problem.  
His chlorestrol is about 158, which was recently taken last mth., and was around that same number over the past few yrs.  We walk 2 miles every night, and he golfs once a week or less during the summer.  Now, he's concerned about the twitching.  I've had twitching in my lip, or eye lid in the past, but don't recall the side of my head.  He mentioned his concern of stroke symptoms after NE Patriots Tedy Bruschi suffered a mild stroke, as well as a friend of ours.  My friend woke up with a numb feeling in her arm, and thought she had just slept wrong, but when the numbness didn't go away, she were to the ER and was diagnosed.  
Does anyone have any similar symptoms, or known facts about his symptoms.  Thank you so much.
I have noticed the very same thing happening to me just the last couple of days. I noticed it began when I started drinking coffee again after a long time (months) of not drinking coffee. Does your room mate drink a lot of coffee?

If that's not the cause I don't know what is. I am in similar physical shape to your room mate and I am 27 years old.

If anyone knows what may cause this twitching feeling, please post! It feels a little like a pulse, only it is irregular, sometimes fast, sometimes one beat every few seconds.
Stroke usually have symptoms like:
I am getting this exact same thing! I have had a MRI and MRA and both were negative. the drs have no idea what it is.. it literally wakes me up at night cause it makes my ear twitch when i lay it on the pillow.. i can feel it during the day when i am awake. i just want an answer to what it is.. i feel a regular pulse then faster and so on.. feels like my nerve is jumping..anyone else know what it could be??
I am have twitching on my right side of my head.  I do not know what this is. I usually feel it when I am tensed up. I wonder is it my nerves acting up.
I have just started getting the twitching in my head, its just above my right ear, very strange feeling...its kind of like if your eye were to twitch, same feeling, the difference with me is, if I bend down, and get back up, my head has this excruciating pain, I have to hold my head and close my eyes, it only last for just under a minute, I havent seen any doctors for this, but I'm thinking maybe I should.  Is anyone else getting this?
I'd been experiencing the "twitch" at the back of my head. It started some months ago but only occasionally. It would disappear after a while and/or if I slept it off. Lately though, (about two weeks now), it's been bothersome as it occurs more regularly... practically everyday.

I cannot seem to place a finger on what triggers it. I'm not a coffee drinker. Only had 2 cups within the past month: 1 early last week & 1 yesterday. Sometimes, it happens after I read. At times, just after I lay my head down on the pillow. Sometimes, while I'm sitting. Sometimes, while standing. Sometimes even while conversing with someone. Sometimes, like right now, while sitting before the computer - surfing, reading or typing.

No headaches or dizziness or spinning vision accompanies this though. At most, pain at the nape down to the shoulders and the upper back would follow.
Man, please someone help.  I am having these same symptoms.  My left ear will twitch pretty much all day and night long.  I have no pains anywhere else except my neck is a little sore.  I've noticed at times that it will actually move up to my temple area but only for a short while and then go back to my ear.  One night I fell asleep on the ear and it moved up through my head.  I could feel the top of my head twitching and shaking, it woke me up.  This is driving me crazy!
Don't feel bad, I have the same thing, a muscle twitch just above my right ear, kind of like when your eye twitches. I  kind of think it is related to a pinched nerve in my neck causing the twitch above my ear. I am going to see the chiropractor and I will let you all know what he says
i was reading your comments about the twitching above your ear. i been having the same thing above my left ear i was wondering if you finally went to the doctor for that discomfort.  the only thing different with me is that i don't have any pain when i bend over. i have a nuerologist appt feb 13th please write back with any information you have recieved
i been having the same symptons above my left ear it is not painful but very annoying i was wondering if the chiropactor helped you . or if anyone told you what it was.
I have had twitching on the right side of my head for a couple years now. I mentioned this to my chiropractor today and He examined my neck and noticed it was not alligned properly and explained this would put pressure on one of the many nerves from the neck to the brain causeing the nerve to spasim (or twitch) with a quick painless adjustment, I seem to be much better  now . I feel silly not mentioning this to him sooner.     time will tell .........Hope this helps someone.    
For the last couple of days I have been feeling I lightning sensation on the back of my head on my left side. It lasts for about 2 to 3 seconds but it's scary to think what it could be. I will probably go to the doctor soon but I am scared. Has anybody felt this before?
From Gaby
I got a light twitching on the left side of my head, just above the ear. No pain or discomfort. But a bit concerning, (thinking stroke, aneurism (aneurysm) etc).
Went to the doctor. Felt swelling in twitching area, tested vision and blood pressure. Said it could be temporal arteritis, which is a swelling of the artery. It usually effects those over 50, and being 36 it was unusual. He said that because the artery supplies the optic nerve, it can cause blindness and therefore needs to be treated as temporal arteritis. He prescribed a 12-day course of Prednisolone tablets, a steroid that reduces the swelling, and organised some blood tests.
Went back to the doctor and all is clear, not temporal arteritis but more likely a one off event caused by stress. The fact that it could of been a condition that caused blindness and needed to be treated quickly, means you should see your doctor.
Hope this helps.
I have the same thing. It happens sporadically, throughout the day, in various areas around my head. Absolutely no pain is involved. This is just a theory, but I think it has something to do with the contraction of cranial blood vessels from increased bloodflow to areas of the brain that are being utilized for various types of cognative activity.  I have begun to notice that the areas of my head that I feel the twitching in coincide with the type of thoughts that I'm having. For example, I feel the twitching and increased bloodflow in the front left side of my head (where the prefrontal cortex is located - responsible for planning, inhibition and sustaining focus) when I'm reading. I feel the twitching in the right side of my head when I'm engaging in a creative activity or brainstorming. When I'm making deductive/inductive conclusions, doing math, or thinking more logically, I feel it in the left side of my head, the side responsible for logical thought. I've heard that twitching can be indicative of a potassium deficiency, so I try to eat a banana once a day, but it still happens. I've heard it can also indicate dehydration, so I drink as much water as possible. I just turned 24, I'm in excellent shape (I run 4 miles twice a week), and I have almost no body fat. If there's a way to fix this, I would like to know, even though it's not a huge deal to me.

By the way, as I was typing this, the twitching was happening in the right side of my head.
im only 23 im pregnant with my third baby and i ahve had twitching on both sides of my head and its kinda eerie at first i was only getting it in my left temple no it didnt hurt but it was very annoying and scary then yesterday night while working at the waffle house i for the first time expierienced it on my right side of my head just above my ear now im scared im going to have ticks or whatever you call em. i have anxiety attacks so i immediately got real hot where i couldnt breath and decided to sit down a minute. I am so worried that it might be a brain tumor if anyone knows anything about this please tell me more!
Muscle twitching is the result of minor local muscle contractions or the uncontrollable twitching of a single muscle group served by a single motor nerve fiber or filament.
Muscle twitches are minor and often go unnoticed. Some are common and normal, while others indicate a neurologic disorder.
Some of the causes are as follows:  
Benign twitches (not caused by disease or disorders) o.ften affecting the eyelids, calf, or thumb.They are normal and quite common, often triggered by stress or anxiety.
A diet deficiency
Drug overdose (caffeine)
Drug side effect (such as diuretics, corticosteroids and estrogens)
Exercise
While it is not indicative of a stroke yet because of its persistent presence please consult your doctor for further advice.
ref:http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003296.htm.
Did anyone ever figure anything out with this?  Ive been having the twitching above my left ear for 24 hours now.  It goes to the top of my head when I lay down.  Its really annoying.
so glad to see i am not the only one! mine started sometime last night,went on throuhg the night was hoping i slept it off but it is still there, i feel otherwise normal! Maybe in my case it is stress? not in work at the mo and getting really bored at home all the time, but I don't really feel stressed iykwim. Maybe I should see the doctor! Yes it is scary because of it's location, but i'm hoping it is just a muscle :) if anyone finds anything out please let us all know!
I'm an architecture student and when it's time to prep our final folios (folio week) we often go without proper sleep for the entire week or two leading up to submission.

I find my body begins to spasm in areas including that mentioned above around about this time.

My suggestion is, make some lifestyle changes and get more exercise and better sleep. And, find some time to relax.

Enjoy :)
I just got a funny twitch in my head,  around my temples,  actually above my ear.  I was making dinner and messed up the recipe and just felt stressed.  All of a sudden I felt the twitching. Is that the stress building up after a long day of feeling sick and tired?  I am battling a bad sinus infection (again) and am just starting to feel better.  I notice that whenever it is cold outside,  or I am sick,  or I am stressed I will feel these funny twitches.

Sometimes,  they are a bit scary.
I went to my neurologist just this week and he told me that it is only the temporal arteries beating, causing the twitching and pain. I used to feel really afraid and thought i had something terribly wrong and i also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. So one can only imagine how afraid i was when this started happening to me. after i came from the doctor i feel so much better. He says it is caused by stress and tension and i know i have been through alot of stress lately. I used to drive my fiancee crazy thinking something bad would happen to me, but through my prayers God has helped me a whole lot. Please do not worry because i used to have the same problem. The more you worry the more you stress out yourself and cause more problems.

God Bless all of your'll
I also have a twitch from time to time slightly above or slightly behind my left ear.  I have often wondered if it's an artery pulsing but have always talked myself into thinking it's just a muscle twitch.  Mine tend to happen at night and come and go when it's happening.  In the past these would lead to a panic attack because I would sit and think about the possibility of an aneurism (aneurysm).  Tonight it's bothering me again in that way which is why I'm looking this up.  I do get zanax from my doctor that I keep on hand for panic attacks and I usually end up taking it during these times because the twitching tends to keep me up.  I did have a stressful day so I'm sure it mainly has to do with stress.
I have had the same problems above my left ear. Its not painful but is very annoying and sumtimes happens above my right ear. I suffer from anxiety real bad i wonder if thats it but i do have high blood pressure and high cholesrtrol, Im only 26 and feeling bad gets real old. Can anyone help
I suffer from high cholesterol too.. and i havent taken my meds yet, because i am an idiot. but i recently started getting these twitches,and pulse like feeling a little above my left ear. At the moment i could say im a little worried, because i keep thinking its a stroke about to happen or something.. or an artery is about to explode. I feel the vein about to blow out of the side of my head.. and its a little difficult to fall asleep as well. if anyone has any answers.. please let me know.. thanks
I just started getting a slightly painful twitch above my left ear this week. This week was very unusual in that I participated in a week-long dance event during which I danced from 5-8 hours a day and got less sleep than usual, 5-7 hours. I may have been dehydrated at times, drank coffee to stay energized, and ate less regularly than usual. The twitch started halfway through the week. My cholesterol and blood pressure are fine. The cause may be exercise as Dr_Apama mentioned. But it's a little disconcerting.
same goes with me, mine started 3 days ago and thought nothing of it but now at work its pissin me off. im only 18 so i am definantly concerned. i hope to god its nothing bad, i feel like just smashing my head thru a window just to make it stop. lol.
Just wanted to join in the discussion.  I have been suffering from a headache for the last two months.  At times the twitching comes just above my left ear on near the temple.  I also suffer from Anxiety attacks and have to wonder if that is one thing that we all have in common.  High stress almost definitely plays a factor.  I have been seeing a naturopathic doctor as of late, and she has me on a rule-out-food-allergies diet. Also, as she has made me aware, we don't always consciously recognize all the stresses in our lives.  She suggests making time for relaxation, exercise and spending a little time in nature everyday. It may sound silly to you, but it seems to be helping so far.  Headache has become more bearable and anxiety has been noticeable relieved.It's weird though, in my case I suffer from low-blood pressure.  I still can't help but think that it's something a little serious.  Will keep you all posted when I learn more.  Would really appreciate it if you all could do the same!!!
thank goodness im not the only one! I have the same twitching above and behind my right ear... I do suffer from stress and anxiety... so maybe thats it... and my job is having me sit in front of a computer and I know my posture is awful
I logged onto this site because I, too, was experiencing a twitch on the right side of my head just above the ear. I wanted to learn why.

I don't mean to be insulting, but it seems that a lot of you don't read previous posts.

Dr_Aparna, Jun 03, 2008 01:25PM explained what causes the twitch and some of those who have posted since then keep rambling on as if she posted no answer at all.

This leads to the conclusion that the reason there is so many diseases killing people in this country is because instead of learning something about what would help your problem, you follow the path of least resistance - the one that blindly supports the FDA & pharmaceutical companies simply because they represent a "voice of authority" and you're too irresponsible for your own well being to question that authority.
Ive been having twitches for years now. They are mainly facial with me and i hate them! its ruining my life, but i dont really want to go to the doctors with this.. what will they say?
Ive had the usual eye twitching etc but over the last couple of weeks its seems to mainly be my head and at times my mouth.
It feels like someone else is doing it to me.. if you catch my drift.
My head just jolts.. like its been pushed to one side by someone else.
Ive very aware of it happening and very concious of it, plus i suffer from anxiety, depression and have skin flushes alot.
I dont know what to do about it?.. if i go to the docs i wouldnt even know how to word it to them lol
Like the rest of you i have a twitch. Mine is above the left ear.  My GP said it was an occipital nerve twitch caused by stress or fall.  Didn't have fall and do not feel stressed.  My sympathies to all so very annoying.   good luck
I have these same twitches. Mostly before bed. I read every post and I also suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. I think that these twitches are related to stress- even if you don't think you are stressed out. I had my first panic attack when I though I wasn't stressed either. I agree with waynepc that nature does relieve stress quite a bit. Hope this helps anyone in the future. :)
Okay this has been so good for me to read
I want to say around March of 2009 I got this weird feeling on the right side of my head to me it feels like a pulse in a vein. I have no insurance and I live in texas I was laid off from my job back in Sept of 09 and I am kind of scared. Today is Feb13 and it is about 8:09pm. This thumping/twitching feeling on the right side of my head is driving me crazy. It comes and goes like today it has not happended for about two weeks and now it is back and it will not stop. I am thinking about going to the emergency room tonight if this does not drop off tonight. If anyone out there could tell me what you think that would help me alot. I have high blood pressure and I am on my meds I checked my bp when this first started and it was 127/90 so it is okay. I do not wear glass I had laser eye surgery back in Jan of 2003 and I have not had a eye exam since then I wonder if that could be the cause
I have had a twitching in the back of my head in the past two weeks. It could almost be described as a pulse of some sort. It comes and goes whenever it wants. When I first noticed it, it went away. Then a few days later came back. It is becoming more frequent now and starting to scare the crap out of me. I don't know if it is a sign of Stroke or Anurism or what. Any doctor wish to risk their opinon on here would be awesome. In fact, it would reduce my stress, blood pressure and thoughts of ramming my head in the computer screen right now just to get rid of this horrible twiching feeling. I am starting to think it might be the way I have been eating lately. I eat either hamburgers and fries almost every lunch, no breakfast and dinner is usually take-out. I get about 4 to 5 hours of broken sleep lately each night. Work has been stressfull with people getting fired left and right and their work is piling up on my desk. I have kids to take care of and feed and my boss looks at me almost every day and takes his first two fingers and points to his eyes than towards my eyes like he is watching every move I make. I canno't read the guy. It's a little crazy. The whole time I have been writing this, the back of my head has been partying with all the twiching going on. Doctor-please help.
Hi i am a 22yr mother of a little girl who is 2 and i too have twitching wow........reading all of this is crazy i thought i was the only one! i was feeling a little crazy, all my friends and family look at me like i am crazy when i mention that i feel this twitching feeling in the right side of my head and sometimes my ear hurts with it..i suffer from anxiety disorder soooo one can only imagine the series of scariness going throw my train of thought! it also goes down  under my right ear by my neck area...i am always thinking i am going to have a stroke or somthing wrong with my brain anurisume or something...i really need some tipe of help to ease my mind of worry.
Well, it sounds like the majority of us are in the same situation:
1) Stressed
2) Have Anxiety attacks (whether officially diagnosed or not) in some form or another

This leads me to believe that this fluttering sensation that I too have (just started yesterday which I feel in the left side of my head to the left of my ear) are related to increased STRESS.  Why do I think this?  Again, from the previous posts above.  My personal situation is that I am 39 and just found out I am pregnant (first).  While this is a wonderful blessing, it was not exactly expecting this to happen.  Needless to say, I will speak with my doctor to confirm the best method to control (not like I can take paxil while PG); however, I feel that with proper deep breathing techniques, getting outside and enjoying nature and saying "whatever" to anything that is out of my control (or looking for a bright side of things) will help.  Worrying about what I have no control over will only make things worse.  I've given it over to God, but God also created doctors and gave us a brain (fluttering or not) to know to use them. ;-)  I truly think this is all stress related.  Hang in there and take care folks.  Take a hot bubble bath, relax, say your prayer and call your momma. (no one loves you like your momma! ;)  
Hello, I have just started to have a twitching sensation behind my right ear. It does not hurt at all. It will twitch earradically for a few seconds and then disapear, it mostly occurs when I am laying down.

I noticed this started happening about 2 days ago; the next morning after a night of consuming alcohol at a work function. I have read most of the above posted comments and see that some people think it is related to dehydration or a possible reaction to a drug. I think that I may see a relationship; after consuming a fairly high amount of alcohol, I was dehydrated and took 2 acitomenophines the next morning and then went back to sleep it off. The twitching started after this event and I had never experienced it prior, which leads me to believe it may be either a combination of the two above or a reaction to the acitominophines. I am going to make a point of drinking plently of water and take an advil a day and see what happens. I will keep you posted.
I just felt a  sudden twitch on my head above my right ear and at the same time my eye twitched but right afterwards I was feeling lightheaded, I grabbed the phone to call 911 just in case I was having a stroke (my mother died of it last year).  I started talking to my dog to find out if I was slurring my speech, moving my arms and legs to see if they worked properly. Scary!!

I'm feeling a little better now so I decided to go online to see what this was and I came up on this wonderful forum. Now I think I know what triggered this.  I'm feeling a lot of stress lately and I have been taking Nyquil and Tylonol PM to sleep and this morning I had a cup of coffee for the first time in about 5 months.
THANKS EVERYONE.
not to sound sick but, it's good this blog was created.  I from time to time have had twitching on the right side of my head (Ha funny just had one as I typed). I went to a ear, nose and throat doctor NOTHING.  I went to a cardiologist to check for any possible clots that may be affecting the areas NOTHING.  Lastly, I went to a Neurologist for an MRI and again NOTHING.  This twistching is not painful and does not occur for longer than a day if that off and on.  I have no diseases to date, no dizziness or Pain.  But, the fact that this has not happened before in 29 years is disturbing to me.  Any suggestions on what I can do next?
I have the twitching going on above my left ear.  I notice it after wearing a headband.  It's weird and has been going on for two weeks.  I also am having alot of heartburn.  i don't know if it has anything to do with it.
Hello im 16 and when i was 14 i used to have the same problem but for some reason it just stopped. It lasted like 2 months. i havent had it since. and it was exactly in my head just above the top of my right ear. it was like every hour or so. i hope u guys get better....
Im overwhelmed by the amount of people here having the exact same symptom just above the right ear and sometimes close to the temple twitch, twitch... All day all nite with brief periods of relief using xanax(perscribed) I've been experiencing this for about a year. With the overwhelming amount of you suffering the same symptom I am determined to find some kind of answer.
I have it too! I also have had issues with eye twitches. I had an eye twitch in the right upper lid for 8 months. It went away for 2 months, and then my upper left lid and lower right lid started twitching. during this double twitch period i have developed a twitch in my right temple. The temple twitch is erratic and strong, but barely felt unless i press it.  I sleep 7-9 hours a night, i don't drink coffee, small amounts of caffeine if any. Stress levels are normal. IT worker means a lot of  
screen viewing (probable cause?)

I began to exercise again, and take multi-vitamins and a magnesium supplement. the eye twitches are almost non-existent now (a few times a day compared to constant fluttering). the temple twitch had diminished but not gone away. it seems to be in an every other day mode now. today twitch, yesterday no twitch, day before twitch, etc...

for me diet, exercise, and vitamins seem to have a effect on eye and temporal twitches.  (although the temple is jamming out  as i type :\ )
I have the same temporal twitch x 1 month.  At first I thought is was sinuses or allergies or inflamation (inflammation).  Took a decongestant for 2 wks didnt help.  Took naproxen 500 mg x 2 weeks.  Didn't help.  Alchohol and stress seems to make it worse.  Even staying up late or watching scary movies worsen it.  Finally went to the ER for a CT which was negative and no questions where answered.  Looking back on history, I took Xenadrine to try and tone up.  Could this be the cause??  I am willing to try the Magnesium supplement idea but why would this help??
After much self observation, I came to the conclusion that coffee and energy drinks such as Red Bull and Monster, is a very likely cause. I am currently writing exams which means I am getting little sleep, loads of caffeine and stress. I have reduced my caffeine consumption significantly, and noticed that the twitching has almost stopped completely. I also concluded that little sleep, lots of studying and stress are culprits in my ear twitching dilemma.

Good luck fellow ear-twitchers:)

Good luck fellow ear-twitchers:)
I started experiencing this mysterious and disturbing "twitching" on top of my right ear over 24 hours ago, seconds at a time all throughout the day and night. Of course I got scared right away because it's the first time it ever happened to me. I'm only 27 and just had my physical and complete lab work 9 months ago with everything normal except for an above average LDL level (bad cholesterol) but was not put on medication.

Other than being classified overweight for my BMI today, I would say I am still in-tune with my body and have fairly good immune system. Reading through articles on this matter I found some factors that may have contributed to it days prior:

*had an upper back adjustment (c/o a relative Chiropractor)
*caffeine overdose (2-3 cups of bold coffee a day)
*lack of exercise (w/ 8 hr desk job & 2 hrs commute to/from work)
*alcohol & protein binge (from the holidays)
*work-related stress & anxiety (not addressed)

It almost as if it stopped for couple of hours today but twitched again as I type this comment but I am scheduled to see my MD on Saturday for some enlightenment. I came across this article (Health Grades affiliated) and I think is very helpful:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/t/temporal_arteritis/intro.htm
I've been having the same twitch on the right side of my head for about a month. It seems to come every few seconds, this continues day and night. I'am 17 years old, and a little worried about this twitch since i have never heard of others with this until now.
so every month or so my head feels like its squeezing inwards. right now im off school because im really worried about this and im going to see the doctor about this now. im really scared it really hurts and i want it too stop.

i had an eye operation when i was about 7-8 years old and ive now got a scar on my brow and it started to hurt really REALLY bad yesterday.

IF YOU KNOW WHY THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME PLEASE COMMENT BACK TO BE. PLEASE. IM REALLY SCARED!
I recently started having the same "muscle spasm" above my right ear!!! It's nice to know I'm not the only person experiencing this very annoying spasm!  It went on for 4 days before I went to my DR to find out what was going on.  He seems concerned because the spasm is occuring right by an artery in your head.  This sent me into a state of panic (all I could think of was STROKE!) My DR drew blood, and it came back fine.  He asked me if I grind my teeth or clench down in my sleep....I do!  Apparently, this can cause muscle spasms!?!  I had also seen someone post something about drinking Gatorade--that the electrolites (sp?) in gatorade will help with spasms, I tried it, and it worked for a few days.  All I know is this is so annoying, and I want it to go away.
I'm a 20 year old Male Born February 15, 1991...I'm a Aquarius...Experiencing a twitch on the left, right, & back part of my head has occurred since my years of 19 but has become more consistent up to this date...As I'm currently typing this, I'm experiencing the said sensation...No pain is occurring when this is taking place, but the thought of this happening in this particular area is alarming in some fashions...Also my State of Awareness seems heighten, understanding become easier,  reasoning more complex, & senses appear greater...I say whatever is taking place, in my case, is a blessing...lol...actually...in a more juvenile sense of expressing it...It literally feels like I can feel my Brain Growing lol...However, I'm also experiencing a serious of events one might define stressful, but from my perspective I believe I'm handling my emotions & not letting things get to me rather well...The only thing that would concern me is if this is resulting from hidden stress & if my subconscious is really taking a beating & I'm not yet aware of how much this is really affecting me...Pray for me & I will do the Same for others...
I have twitching above my ear on both sides. Has been happening for several months. My doctor felt it and told me it is a nerve. Similar to an eye twitch, except in the head. Annoying, yes. A stroke, no. I was given a muscle relaxer because I am very tense in my neck and shoulders and that is the first step. I'm tense/stressed/anxious by nature. Wish I could say otherwise. Could be in the best circumstances and would still have anxiety. I drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day. I was told steroid or Botox injections (yes, Botox) are a possibility if the twitching continues, but I will seek other options first - massage, chiropractic care, and getting a better handle on the stressors. Maybe yoga?? No needles in my head, please!
Even I have the same twitching on head. First it was only on left side, now i feel it on right side about the ear also. I have lot of tensions in home & office also. But I sleep well more then 8Hrs daily. I am 27yrs. I have never consulted any doctor as it is from past 15Days. I am sure the first reason for it is TENSION, Secondly due to any dieases, sinus etc. My suggesion is Don't Worry, Do not Get Affraid. Be relaxed.
I have the "twitches" too, but I call them "pulses" because my cat's name is Twitch so that's just weird.  I read through everybody's posts, and common threads seem to be stress and anxiety.  I'm wondering about the coffee though.  I drink quite a bit per day - could it possibly be that easy?  I just know that I'm very tired of this and it seems to get worse as time goes on.
i think its possibly a stress or hypertension issue. i lost a testicle 9months ago to cancer but im very healthy now, i weight train, am 24yo male, and i get this twitching on my left side predominantly only after a gym session. i am guessing its because of the stress on my body, the brain is trying to recover from this stress. i also drink alot of water in these sessions and use creatine to help with my workouts. creatine makes the muscles "fire" longer and harder. and i think the muscular firing occuring during my sesssions is probably causing some stress on the brain. however it only occurs on left side and recovers after a couple of hours. my best guess is that this is a stress thing, as other people have posted without noting their weighttraining but a common theme seems to be stress on the body/brain via caffein, pregnancy or whatever. i mentioned it to my oncologist (cancer doctor) at my last checkup and he said its probably just bloodflow/stress after the workout. so definatey check it out people, anything with the brain dont just leave it, but i have a feeling, if its the same twitching i get, that it is nothing serious but is stress related. i would suggest big coffee drinkers to drink less and drink more water. im not a doctor, but i have always been a healthy guy apart from the unlucky fortune of losing a babymaker. hope everyone keeps healthy. cheers.
ok, my temple twitching started after I came back from Cancun.  Before i went on the trip I had just gotten new glasses and i asked them to make them a little snugger as I am a runner and didnt want them to slip while I ran.  

Wondering if the added pressure behind my left ear is causing the twitching?  Gonna call eye doc first and see if this is a possible cause.  Could this be any of your problem?
This started happening' to me a few days ago I'm 16 and this is reallyyyyy annoying! it only occurs in my left ear and seems to be on the bottom of the inner ear. i don't have a clue why it started happening i think its a muscle spasm or something alike, anyway i intend to see the doctor in 4 days and hopefully he will have a solution! i read some of the posts above reading you have lived with it for 10 years + !!! i could never do that if i dont have it resolved soon im gonna go insane! I'm gonna mention snipping the muscle to the doctor like mentioned above im prepared to go to any length to stop the twitching.
About 2 months ago, my twitching started on my upper right eye lid... then it moved between my left and right eye lids... sometimes both at the same time, alternating.  Afte a few weeks, the twitching moved to the sides of my head, both right and left.  At times, there is an orchestra of twitching in all 4 of these places!  It began to subside when I went camping for 5 days with no work, home chores, computer, etc. I have been paying close attention: caffeine and too short of sleeps are huge. I am not a big drinker but last night, I had a beverage, shorter sleep , coffee this am, worked an 8 hour shift behind a computer... and the result was  that the all 4 sections danced up a storm today.  I have also been getting headaches right between the eyes sometimes.  That happened today so I took a 400mg Ibuprofen and all the symptoms subsided.   I am about to make an appointment with the doc....  I am wondering if all my amalgam fillings play a role??? Time for sleep as I am certain that will help.  Good luck to all and try to relax because going mental over the pulsing is not going to help you; beleive me!
I have twitches all over above my right ear if i knock on my head it hurts if i rub my head it hurts if i put a hat on it hurts and god forbid i go to sit down; i dread sitting down cause its the most hardest pain; so i try to sit on stools in my living room so i dont have to fully sit down; if i laugh forget it im down and out with pain for an hour so i make sure to never laugh; yawning and coughing i dont bother covering my mouth anymore cause it hurts more so i just spray everywhere ; it makes my eye twitch where people ask me all day am i ok like im slow or retarded and that definitetly helps me not to laugh as i curse them out
I have had this issue for what will be 2 years next month and in that time have been to my doctor, an ENT, chiropractor, massage, a physical therapist, acupuncturist and 2 neurologists with no diagnosis.  I did recently have an MRI and one of the neurologists says it “could be” some strange form of migraines and has me on a medication to help me fall back asleep while it occurs, but it is still happening approximately twice a week.  Last resort is Botox in the affected area or steroids for the rest of my life.  Before I do that, here are some things I feel might narrow down the problem…maybe we can figure out any common traits between us:

- Side sleepers?
- Use ear plugs to sleep?
- Did you go on a flight shortly before this began?
- Does this begin only in the night while sleeping/resting and then continue?
- Stomach issues (IBS or colitis or any other intestinal related issues?)
-               Do you get migraines?  Occasionally or often?

This is not painful, but so frustrating and annoying and I am exhausted.  I do agree it is stress related and seems to happen more often when I am overly tired.  

They may also send me to a sleep clinic next...has anyone else tried that?
Okay, so here is my 2 cents and I hope this helps.  My twitching was a gluten intolerance.  I cut out wheat, rye, and barley.  It's not easy, but it is worth it.  Good luck!
The right side of my head began twitching last night and is the most annoying thing in the world. It started sporadically at first but now does it several times per minute. It kept me awake most of the night, so I'm exhausted right now. I had hoped I slept it off, but no such luck. I was pretty freaked out, but after reading all of this, I'm convinced it's stress and anxiety, and maybe a lack of something in my diet. Also, i was massaging my head last night, and during that time it stopped, but when I stopped massaging, the twitching began again. I'm gonna try a few different things today and see if anything helps.
The ANSWER may lie here!

I am 29 years old and recently I went to the E.R. for having Atrial Fibrillation. Its the leading cause to having having a stroke. Strokes are formed when blood cloughts are found in the veins near the brain.

Twitching in Veins are signs of Atrial Fibrillation or having a stroke down the line is almost certain to occur.

Ways to help reduce the chance for getting Atrial Fibrillation is by not using any of the Following
1. Consuming Alcohol
2. Smoking
3. Eating Chocolate
4, Drinking Soda
5. Eating Salty Foods

There may be more, but these are the main ones off the top of my head!

TO REDUCE THE CHANCE FOR A.FIB OR STOKE, TAKE ASPIRIN DAILY AND EXCERCISE AND STREATCH OFTEN!

I use Bayer Aspirin, it has the heart healthy sign on the box!

Avacado is very healthy for your heart so eat it often.

I hope my answer is correct and will help everyone out!
Well I have to admit I did not read all of the posts cuz there are so many. I did see one that talked about increased blood flow and I am hoping that is what it is for me. I do not have health insurance and I can not go to the doctor right now but I think they are a crock anyway.

I have had this twitching on the right side of my head since I started eliminating wheat from my diet. I tested allregic to 4 pages of allergies and went through h*$! with ENT and many other specialists at the time. Like I said CROCK! Whole Wheat bread was the only thing that I ever noticed definately having a reaction to. So I decided to try elminating all of wheat to see what happens. I did not even realize that I was retaining so much fluid in my skin and it immediately went away. Two days after doing the diet I had to take my rings off for zumba cuz they were going to fly across the room. My eyes were even swelling around them and it has disappeared. I feel like my sinuses are starting to clear out and am hoping that is why I am feeling this sensation above my right ear! Its been 10 days now without wheat My skin was breaking out horribly on my chest back arms neck behind ears and face which is why I started the diet. It is definately clear up as well.

Thats my feedback!
Even I had the same feeling for the first time today...
I have had right ear and eye contractions for over 5 yrs. In 08 had ct scan and ultra sound of head and neck. This year 5 different MRI's. One neurologist thought focal seizures, another  thought movement disorder. ENT scope of throat. EEG.  All testing within normal limits. Chiropractor focus on loss of curve in cervical spine. Tried 3 anti-convulsant meds. No results. Spasm is constant, awake asleep. More intense when tired. Had a botox injection yesterday. Already significant results. I was focused on finding out "Why", but now after 1 day of minimal activity I could settle for any solution, even if superficial and or temporary. Please post any updates in your own search for solutions. Thank you.
Here is a good read about a condition mentioned earlier called Occipital Neuralgia, this sounds like our diagnosis folks! http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/occipital-neuralgia
Seems it is brought on by stress, alcohol and or caffeine according to our posts. I started getting this last night, and since Aneuryms run in my family...I figured I better find out ASAP. Mine is kinda between my left ear and temple on my scalp, first I thought it was a bug of some sort like lice, but I keep getting it in the exact same spot, so I checked it out in the mirror, saw nothing..then came in here to investigate. As described earlier..it feels like lightning.
I have had one of the worst months of my life and kinda had a breakdown, so the stress level is there like the rest of you, I also drank last night, and have what feels like a pinched nerve in the spine of my neck for a couple of years now. Initially ..I thought it had to do with my veins, since I also seem to have crazy femeral artery action happening lately as well as the vein in the back of my calf. It sticks out and throbs more than usual.
http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/occipital-neuralgia
I have had a twitch in my temple area for 3-4 months now... It's not painful just annoying and causes me to not be able to fall asleep at night. I have good days and bad days. A good day would be twitching for about 25% of my day. A bad day (like today) is about 80% of my day I'm twitching. My doctor did a thyroid blood test which was negative. MRI/CT Scans in the past were negative. I have no other symptoms but this. I'm about 20-25 lbs overweight but nothing serious. My diet isn't that bad, mainly protein (chicken, fish, etc). Not a big coffee or alcohol drinker.

I may see the chiropractor soon because I've had some neck pain. I'm not sure if it's related like some folks have suggested above.

The good news is my doctor isn't concerned. And we're all still here, so I'm thinking it's not serious, just really annoying.
i am 23 years old, nearly 4 years ago pain started in right cerebral hemisphere and pain is intensifying  with time period, i visited many doctors..neurologist, ENT DOCTORS, EYE SPECIALIST, EAC h gave me diff type prescription, and i didnt felt relief, pain was felt when i was having any kind of mental stress be it with study(1 hour only), a very good neurologist prescribed me tricyclic antidepressants which i took for around 7 months, pain wasnt cured , same problem arised even of watching 20-30  minutes video, studying for small duration ..............SO IWAS NOT SATISFIED WITH MY CURE, I STOPPED TAKING MEDICINE  , .......NOW JUST ABOVE MY RIGHT EAR THERE IS LOT OF NERVE TWITCHING AND I FEEL IF SOMEONE IS ROTATING MY HEAD LIGHT(SOMETIMES PRESSURE IN MY BRAIN GOES SO MUCH), PAIN IS THROUGHOUT DAY AND NIGHT AND IA AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT IT, EARLIER I USED TO NEGLECT IT THINKING A TIME WILL COME WHEN I WILL BE OK, BUT NOW ITS UNBEARABLE............SOMETIME I FEEL VERY ANXIOUS AND DEPRESSED.....CT SCAN AND BAER  TEST AND MRI HAVE BEEN DONE AND ALL REPORTS WAS NORMAL......................PLZ PLZ PLZ , IF ICAN HAVE A GOOD SUGGESTION I WILL BE NOT ONLY THANKFUL BUT CONSIDER HIM/HER NEXT TO GOD....
Follow this breathing technique to calm the brain. Do it for 30 minutes, twice a day, with the eyes closed, and concentrate on the third eye (between the two eye brows). This is a gradual process, so allow weeks and let me know when you notice a difference.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
October 30, 2011
i know what you all mean i thought it might be were i was wearing sun glasses at work but its been about 2 months since i wore any at all and it still happens sometimes it will go a day or two without doing anythig at all but then it happens again like its doing right now but instead of just being on the right side of my temple it happens on both sides this is very aggravating.
I am having these twitches in my head also. it comes on the left or right side of my head. I also feel like a pouring sensation in my head and that is fan is going in my left ear. It is a buzzing sound in my right ear. I also feeling twitches throughout my whole body. I also can hear a cracking sound in my left ear at times when i am talking. I also hear also have weakness in the neck at times . I also get headaches at times. What could this be?
I too have the twitching above right temple, I believe most of this is due to stress and also I don't drink alot of liquids, it could also be due to dehydration. I am 42 and very over weight, but most people on here don't seem that much over weight even if at all. I am going to my dr next week, will
post back
I have noticed a direct relationship between eyelid twitching and using face wash soaps that contain salicilic acid (spelling?), which is a common over-the-counter acne medication. It might be worth checking your soaps and disontinuing any with this ingredient. To be clear, this is not based in any expertise or scientigic data, just on my ow experience. Without a doubt, my twitching was caused by a face soap with this ingredient. I hope this helps.
here is what i have and what i have done. i have a twitch that comes and goes, but since it started, i have constant pressure above my left ear. had one day a large twitch about a year ago, and it hasnt left. been to the gp who sent me to an ENT and Neurologist, both who did mri's and found nothing. was put on blood pressure medicine because mine was high. dont this this helped. went to a chiropracter who fed me a line of bs and i went through 6 weeks, 3 times a week and a bunch of money with no results. only thing that has helped is that i went to phyiscal therpay for about 3 months who worked on my neck, helped me with my posture and stregnth training of my neck. he said that what i have is a bad disc at the base of my skull and that inflammation is causing the tendants that run into my head distress. i dont feel 100% but i do feel better. good luck
Follow the breathing technique in my October 30 ,2011 post to to relax your facial muscles. You will feel  relaxed as you do this regularly.
January 25 ,2012
Feeling the same twitching it is scary it goes in different paces and I think it feels a little  swollen help please
whilst these twitches are very annoying, they are NOT a sign of stroke, tumour or cancer!! i have my neuro surgeons full guarantee that they are not serious or life threatening! hope this helps to relax a few people.
I too know what you are going through because I am out of my mind with worry. My son is 12 years old and has been having spasm for a couple of weeks, He is very healthy, played a lot of sport during the week both at school and at home and the spasm started two  days after one of his football match when he came home complaining of a headache. My son has been taking medication  for ADHD  for the past year without any problem even though one of the side effect is spasm. I have taken him to see the doctor many times and will not stop by the doctor seem to be less concern than I am. I was told to take him off his medication for two weeks but some signs of the spasm becoming calmer, but with him  showing sign of ADHD he is back  on it with me observing him and will have to report to doctor, Even though it is not painful to my son and has not stopped him being active are doing daily things, it is affecting me badly. All the doctor will say is that it will go away. Cant see any sign of that.  
Mine is 24/7 for the past month I don't know what it is I'm gonna have to see a doctor and I'll post the answer to you guys it is a crazy feeling
I think this is a pretty common problem.  I don't know what causes it but I recently learned a trick to help with something else that might help this, too.  When you feel it, take numerous calm, full breaths; 3 seconds inhale 3 seconds exhale; and see if you feel better.  What this does is immediately send a message to your brain that you are okay and your brain will then ease up on the other messages it is sending.  That's the science behind why it works in childbirth. If it works for your problem it's probably nothing to worry about. Hope it helps!
My dad had incredible pain from a twitching nerve on the right side of his head.  His doctor gave him prednisone and three days later the problem is totally gone.
Hi, this is Chris, age 28, from Switzerland. I have similar symptoms like you guys. It started 1,5 years ago when I got rid of my dental braces. First it was quite scary and sometimes the twitch lasted all night long. It's a very annoying twicht right behind my ears. One day it's left, the next day it's on the right side. Anyway, I went as well to a neurologist but all is fine, he said. So, I found out that the twitching starts when I eat, yawn, sleep on the side or when I sit in the office at my desk. I guess that due to the jaw/teeth correction there's some tension which causes the twitch. Perhaps in combination with a bad posture. Next week I'll go and get some neck/face massages, hope this helps... Will keep you updated. Chris
Hey guys! As promised, a quick update: The massages did not work. After that I went to the chiropractor and we did a couple of radiographs of my neck/spine. Well, it turned out that something's wrong with the first and second cervical vertebra. Nothing serious but this is most probably the reason for the twitching behind the ears. He said that pretty much all nervs pass the atlas (first cervical vertebra) and if there are issues with it, it could be that a couple of nervs are affected/caught (however you wanna call it) and the twitching is the result. Now I have to go a few sessions. I hope that this finally is the solution...
I am having the same annoying twitch above my right ear. It started a few months ago when I was wearing my reading glasses at work. It seems to have gotten worse over the past few weeks and I can now notice this even while not wearing my glasses. I would agree with some of the posts relating the intensity to stress levels as I've had an intense month with more stress, less sleep, less physical activity, poor eating etc. I am a side sleeper and it seems to pulse more intensely some nights as I lay my head on the pillow. I am getting back into my healthy eating, sleeping, work outs, etc routine as things have calmed down with work. Hopefully the pulsing/twitching above my ear will stop now. I will keep you posted.
I get it reel bad, it seems to be progressing, very irritable today cause of it, I was thinking may be caused from a tooth that I need to have a root canal on sometimes ur jaw gets a lot of tension  from a problem with ur teeth and it affects the ear and I think can cause nerve problems in that area
These above the ear muscle spasms take a lot out of my everyday life. It just stresses me out. But it noticed I experience it a lot more frequently after eating sweets like candy, cake chocolate.
My neurologist recommend botulinum toxin (aka botox) which could calm down that muscle ("muscle temporalis" just above the ear) for a while. Perhaps I'm going to try that out...
Hi, I been feeling scalp twitching couple of times this week. No pain at all just the twitch. It's very annoying in any part of the body but on the head it's kind of scary. I put my head on it and I feel the jump of the scalp. I read almost every post here and I see stress is a common denominator. I been under lots of stress in the past few months, I got hurt and I been taking pain killers and cortisone shots. Now this ... Does any of you finally got an answer from a doctor?
The twitching is most often not circulatory. Spasms in this area tend to be the same as nerve twitching in other places. Think of it like holding yourself up in a 'pushup' position. After a while, your arms will start to shake. Then when you stop, they can start to have mild spasms. When you sit in a slouched position, your neck is similarly doing a push up. Hunching the neck forward or leaning in an awkward position for extended periods of time can cause upper back strain, neck strain, tension head aches (pressure in the head) and twitches. Try taking some time to lie down on your side with your head propped on a pillow with another pillow between your knees. Make sure your back and neck are straight (not too straight to where you strain, but straight). Then close your eyes and breathe a nice slow breath. Rub the back of your upper neck on each side, this can help with the twitches. Relax all of your muscles including your forehead. Relax your mind. After about 10-15 mins, see if you feel better.

To deplete anxiety rapidly, remember the five subjects each day:  Rest/sleep. Recreation/excercise. Nutrition/hydration. Positivity/humor. Simplicity/relaxation. Focus on them. You can turn it around faster than you might think. It really helped me.

Eat foods like fruits and vegetables, and also fish (like tuna), and nuts (like almonds if you're not allergic) and whole grains. Drink plenty of water every day, about 7-8 coffee cup size cups, you can accomplish that easily by having a simple cup always nearby, fill it when it's empty then take a sip every 10 mins or so. By the end of the day you will have refilled it several times (even vitamin water is good). Drop any caffeine, alcohol or smoking. Watch and do things every day that make you laugh. That last one is very important. Laughing increases the immune system response, decreases blood pressure and helps with motivation. These things all really helped me.

Any health steps are significant and they do make a big difference.  
Good luck!
Guys, me again. I did not try botox (as mentioned earlier above), instead I went to the doctor again and did a blood analysis. It turned out that there was a significant lack of vitamin D. Since February when I started to take magnesium as well as vitamin D on a daily basis the symptoms are almost gone... :-)
I've had the same thing for a couple of years. Generally any twitching or sharp pains on the scalp (for me) result from one of or a combination of the following things:

1. Too much caffeine
2. Lack of magnesium
3. Issues with neck/back from either poor sleeping position, or being in front of a computer 8 hours a day.

Nothing serious and nothing that can't be sorted easily.
I've been having the same issues, on the right side, above the ear.  Slowly massaging the area seems to help.  Also, scoff if you want, but meditation seems to help.  Probably from the release of stress and a constant state of go-go-go we put our minds in all the time.
Toxoplasmosis.