Stroke Community
Is it normal for stroke symptoms to get worse in the first 24 hours?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My Father had a stroke 5 days ago and we are seeing small improvements in speech and eating but not motion.
I got my Father to the hospital (UK) within an 90 mins of the stroke ( I Was with him when it happened)  When the doctor in A and E saw him and did tests he still had movement in his left side. It was weaker than the right but still in a good state.
I left the hospital in a positive mood thinking I had got him to the right place in the right time and was very optimistic.
When I returned for visiting 15 hours later he had had a scan but still no thinning agent and now no movement in the left side at all. Is this normal?
Regards,

Tim
Yes. In my experience, yes.The brain is a funny thing in that when it strokes it still has "memory" of when it was normal. But, if the neurons keep miss firing and do not pick up their normal firing pace then they "tire out" and eventually fade their work. Neuro scientists believe that if we go through rigorous physical exercise that it will increase the chances of making the damaged and now "lazy" neurons behave and repair. In my own experience with left side stroke, if while in the hospital, if I had been treated differently with education of what really happened to me that it wouldn't have taken me so long to understand and work with my condition. I have good days and bad days with my deficits and a very understanding husband. But the doctor that caused my stroke just said it was a "brain tickle". Some doctors even say I'm faking it! But I know how I feel and it isn't fun. Another doctor has said that I have to just "live with it!" I've been to 2 different physical therapists.While physical therapy is good it doesn't help you feel any better when you get back home and when you're out in public and see "normal" people around you and realize that you can't do what you did before your stroke.This is the hardest thing to deal with-your life changes dramatically and you don't want to live this "new" life you've been left with. Comfort and kindness helps so much. When I get in a bad mood over this I need someone to listen and not to tell me,"Oh you'll be back to normal in no time". I just want someone to say, "What a bum deal. Is there anything I can do?" Then just help me know that it's okay to be this way and I'm not dead yet!

May ask how bad your stroke left you, and how much progress you have made during your recovery?

I have read so many posts about how strokes effect people in different ways and how people recover in different ways. I guess as a non medical person I am looking for something to compare my father’s situation too.

Its only been 5 days since the stroke but he has such a fighting spirit and seems to be in high spirits to say what he is going through.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question.

Regards,

Tim
my nana is 83 and has just had stroke. Noone knew how long she had been there before she was found(as she lives alone). She is paralysed down her left hand side. She has speech and is aware that all her family are there. I was just wondering is it worse for the stroke the affect the left side or the right.                                                                                                                                           Thanks