Prognosis after a stroke
My father-in-law had his first 2 strokes almost 7 years ago, followed by a 3rd 11 months later.  Since then, he has had no major health issues.  He seperated from his wife approx. 20 months ago and they are just going through the settlement now.  Part of her request is that my father-in-law get a report on his prognosis, as she feels that she is entitled to more money than him because she feels she will live longer.  His diet, independence and mobility have improved since he began living with us.  Does anyone know where I can get information on life expectancy after a stroke?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!

No such statistical data or prediction about the life expectancy can be made in your father-in-law's case.

At best, you could consult his neurologist and see what he/she has to say.

A report by the doctor would probably be admissible in the court too.

How is he doing now? What did his reports say as the site and extent of lesion when he had the stroke?

Post us if you have any further doubts or queries.

Regards.
I am in the UK. I had a catastrophic stroke in March 04, I nearly died. I was 42. Now I am in a wheelchair, my speach is bad & I am virtually paralysed.
As far as I know, I have a normal life expectancy. At least no one has told me otherwise. Lol.

Tim.
Hi and Thank you!
We will try to get a report from a neurologist, or his GP if needed.
It is good to know that there is no such statistical date as we feel that putting life expectancy on him would be quite morbid.  
His left side is affected, more in his arm than leg.  His left arm is completely flacid but he can walk around the house, take himself to the bathroom, or from the car to the house, doctors etc.  His speech is also affected with dysarthria, but we can understand him.  He has just joined the gym to increase his mobility and fitness and to lose some weight that is so easily put on when you're bored with limited mobility.  He is a very stubborn man, so that is also working in his favour we believe!
We are still trying to get the initial reports from the hospital, as we are not sure where they were put and it is a long process (with language that we don't understand!)
Thank you again for your help.  If we can't get some answers from his reports, we'll  post a more specific query.
:o)
AMacK
Thank you!
Great to hear from another young stroke survivor.
We haven't been told that my father-in-law has a shortened life either, which is awesome.  He really wanted to live until his son got married and now until he has grandchildren who I'm sure he'll want to see grown up.
From what we've been told so far, his life expectancy will depend on whether he wants to live.  Things are looking good then!
Thanks again.
I hope you are doing well.
:o)
I agree with the doctors recommendation to get a physcian to evaluate his prognosis based on a detailed review of his medical records. Realizing that it will be a best educated guess.
I have had one reply to my question about post stroke pain and stiffness. The prognosis seems glum. Another words, as I understand it , anti depressives (which my husband has tried several) really are not the answer. It seems that the only releif comes from narcotics.( which have never been perscribed ,or used for him) He also has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and high blood pressure, all of which are being controlled by medication. Can you please tell me if there is any alternive to narcotics. He is 76 years old, never smoked,and is very active.