Stroke Community
Rehab

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Rehab

My mom had a severe hemorraghic (spelling?) right-sided stroke 4 months ago.  For the most part, has left-side paralysis showing only slight movement in left leg when asked. Due to severity of stroke, brain stem shifted.  Two questions - tone in right leg seems to be getting worse.  We are hoping botox will help.  Any experience with this?  Also, we are told spatial awareness has been affected and cannot be relearned or come back.  This, we are told, is needed for any kind of significant recovery - walking,movement in bed, eating on her own without cues etc.  She has received therapy over the months but it has been interrupted due to infections.  Her neurologist tells us it doesn't matter how much therapy she receives, she will never make significant gains.  Please comment.  She is 73 years old.  Prior to stroke - independent and healthy.
My Mother had a similar stroke.  She is 56 days after surgery.  She has opened her left eye and has moved her right hand a bit.  Her other limbs seem to move only slightly.  We haven't been able to even get the doctor to try any rehabiltation for her.  He says her prognosis is poor.  I continue to do range of motion on her limbs as much as I can.  The doctor says it will help with contracted limbs and with muscle tone.  My Mother is 71 years and was also independent and healthy prior to this illness.
Please see my comment to dnsmith, I think it relates to your mother's situation too, I am sorry.