Stroke Community
Severe Itching after Stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Severe Itching after Stroke

My dad had a hemorrhagic stroke that left him bedridden. He has little feeling in his right side, head to toe.  He has developed a problem with his tailbone itching. It is very severe. My mother and I take care of him at home. We are at a lose as to what is causing this and what can be done to help ease his discomfort!
Please help!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like bed sores. Perhaps a medicated lotion with anitfungal. Perhaps change the soap you use to wash the sheets. Benadryl makes an anti itch spray that might work. Whats medications is he taking?
He is not on any medications right now.  We do use an anti-itch lotion but that doesn't seem to help much.  He doesn't have any sores or open wounds.  When it does itch, the skin turns red.  We are not using anything different in the line of soap and washing powder, except mom uses a no-rinse cleaning spray from the pharmacy about every other day.  Would that cause him to itch only in one place?  It is at the base of his spine, on the tail bone.  It is internal not external.
Thank you.
Perhaps that spot is being somewhat deprived of blood since, I assume he lays on it a lot. Maybe try placing a large gel pack on the bed in that area. Just a thought.
Great Idea!  I'll let ya know if it works.
Thanks!