Stroke Community
TIA and Residual Symptoms/Affects Afterwards

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My question is, is it normal to experience continual affects of a TIA?   Some of what I have read here leads me to believe that a TIA is a stroke that totally reverses itself and all symptoms go away within 24 hrs.  Other postings indicate that if symptoms continue or periodically return, then that is an indication that it was more than just a TIA or that there are continuing problems.

The problems I continue to experience are occasional light numbness in the left side of my face, (nothing like the initial numbness on the day of the TIA which was on the Right side of my face), weakness and fatigue in my neck, right arm and right leg.   Sensitivity to foods and medications (that didn
i would like to ask the same thing i get exactly the same symtoms (symptoms) ,i had a mini stroke where a clot was found in my brain but have recently started havinf tias i get all these symptoms too.

tracy
....I think it may be important to mention in my case that a ultrasound of my caratoid arteries and my heart after the TIA was normal.  Also, the EEG, Brain CAT Scan and Brain MRI showed no permanent damage or cause of the TIA.  These findings led them to conclude that the TIA was caused by high dosages of Motrin I was taken for a back injury which counteracted with the type of BP Med's I was taken.  I am 44 yrs old, over weight and in a very high stress job.  I have no motor or memory skills problems.  Just the nagging continual symptoms aforementioned.  As a side note, during testing they found that I had a previously unknown condition (Arnold-Chiari Syndrome w/Syrinx) but the neurologist concluded that I am A-symptomatic with that condition and that it had nothing to do with the TIA or the continuing symptoms I am experiecing. Hope this paints a clearer picture....
I had a TIA a few weeks ago (nothing found to cause it but large PFO in heart) and I too am having "residual" effects. I all of the sudden will get dizzy and confused, with tingling on my right side which lasts briefly and much less intense, but makes be believe another TIA is coming. My cardiologist said that when the brain is 'in shock' even briefly during a TIA, you can have symptoms...especially when one feels a bit of stress that a stroke may be impending and an asprin a day is all you have to work with. The more he talked, the more I felt he was saying it was all in my head...psychologically, not biologically. I also have an intolerance for caffenine and alcohol all of the sudden. 1 glass of wine feels like 2-3, and same for coffee. I hope it all stops soon.
its all very confusing especialy when you get symptoms and tias are supposed to be over in minutes ,well if that really is the case then iam having tias every day .

iam waiting for a scan on my neck as they didnt do this 5 years ago when the clot in my brain caused a stroke .they did lumber punctures ,scans and a heart scan but couldnt find where the clot came from.

my asprin as been upped to 300mg a day now but iam still feel all the symptoms as the lady above.

iam 36 and had my first stroke aged 29.

tracey
All these posts indicate how little neurologists can say with certainty about the brain.

I had my brain bleed stroke almost ten years ago, yet I still occasionally have recurrences of symptoms.  The stroke was caused by extremely high blood pressure (250/150) I take medicine now to keep the pressure down, of course. Still, every now and then there will be a burst of light
Well....in one sense it is reassuring that I am not alone.  In another sense, it is scary to think that there are very few answers.  Truthfully, I have 5 years to work until I can retire and retiring early isn't an option.  What I think is bizarre is the inconsistency in symptoms.  For the last 3 days I have had a terrible ringing in my ears that is driving me nuts.  Though don't understand why I went the 1st 3 weeks w/o this.  Yesterday for the first time I had a pulsating burning sensation in my left lower rib case that just took the breath out of me everytime it hit.  Went away about an hour later then had the same thing in my right upper chest, but only last 5-10 mins.  Also awoke several times during the night realizing that I was having a flushing of sorts in my head which seemed like a mild TIA, resulting in a rear of the head, headache.  I do however agree in part with it being psychological, as I know that my symptoms and the feeling of an onset of another TIA occur more often when I am stressed or thinking to much about my problem.  Though there are days where I wake up feeling great without a care or thought in the world and an hour or two later I start getting symptoms.  Anyone have a doctor prescribe you medication for Vertigo to address the nausea and dizziness? Thanks for sharing...I pretty much have no one to talk 2 about this as those who r close to me, I believe, think this is all in my head. What compounds this is the symptoms often mirror a more serious problem (ie, on-set of heart attack, full-blown stroke, etc) and there is probably more stress in trying to ignore it as just symptoms of the TIA and yet questioning myself, what if I am wrong and I do have the big one.  Ironically, I would want nothing more than for it to all just GO AWAY!
...more confused now than ever.  Saw my doctor today and he said that non of the symptoms I am experiencing now are directly related to the original TIA. In short, he believes the symptoms are being caused by anxiety (AKA - Its all in my head).  He feels that I am causing the anxiety by possibly thinking about the TIA and worrying that it is going to happen again.  Believe me if the symptoms disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't think about the TIA ever again.  Unfortunately it is impossible not to think about the TIA when I wake up in the morning and have half a dozen symptoms consistent with when I had the original TIA.  Its not like I'm making it up when half of my face is numb, I can't swallow, I have ringing in my ears that won't go away, and my arm and leg are limp and lifeless.  Maybe someone will post something here to shed some light on this for all of us who share in this.
i know what you mean ,back in 99 before i had my stroke i was sent to see the neurologist because i was having all these symtoms (symptoms) the worse being the pain in the back of my head ,he said it was stress to which i replied i wasnt stressed ,he asked if i had kids to which i told him i had a new baby and he replied "well there you are then its stress" no matter how much i told him i wasnt stressed he wouldnt listen ,1 month later i had a stroke with a clot found in my cerebelum.

so when a doc tells me its stress i told believe him ,i think they say that when they cant or cant be bothered to find an answer.

I swear that when i get to see my neurologist again and he says its stress i will flip.Iam fed up now with these symtoms (symptoms) .

tracey
hi: my husband had tia startd back in aug 05 had three since then he is 46. he now is out of work and has a problem talking. he is on many medications one being comidian which is a blood thinner to keep clots from going to the brain. he is now in physcal therpy and needs speech therpy. the neuro doctor says if he has one more his brain will not be able to handle it. when he had his 1st one my husband ingnored the signs and didn't go to the hospital. please if anyone has any kind of numbness it's not normal get right to the doctor. first came the numbness then the loss of speech. take care all.
I had a tia in july.  I still have symtoms (symptoms) that the neurologist says is in my head.  I lost strenght in my right side, was in rehab inpatient and out for 2 months. I think mine are caused by A-typical migrains.  I have one at least twice a week.  I still have dizzy spells with the headachs and fall.  I am afraid to drive but all test show I am ok.  I am seeking a second opinion and the dr wants me to have a neuropsych test anything about this test?
Hi!  I've been having health problems for about two+ years now.  As of now, no one can figure out what is wrong with me.  Symptoms include:  dizziness, mental confusion, visual disturbances (darkness followed by flashing lights in both eyes), clumsiness, heavy legs.  My neurologist is insistent that it is MS.  I have had an MRI and am awaiting results.  But just two days ago, while at my daughter's, she noticed how confused I was.  I was telling her about my father and called him grampy.  But she said I said Fred (my fiance) instead of grampy.  I heard it as grampy.  This is really bothersome to me.  One other day a few weeks ago, I walked into the kitchen talking to myself and realized that everything I said came out wrong.  HELP!
Hi,  I am a 32 yr old female and I recently had a possible TIA.  I had a cat scan about 10 days after the attack, an MRI 2 1/2 weeks after, bloodwork and the typical muscle strength tests. My attack suddenly occurred while I was in a chat room. I have had the occassional migraine headache since the age of 16yrs old, and I have had approx. 4-5 migraine auras within the last year.  One migraine aura occurring two days after the attack. The possible TIA attack occurred as I was typing and reading in a online chatroom as I said, began with a sharp headache at my left temple area.  Within about 3-5 min. instantly-what is called Alexia-I could not read the sentences,words I was looking at. It was not a visual deficit. I attempted to sound out each word extremely slowly like a child, trying to put together letter sounds to form each word. I couldn't do it. I am telling you I had to have looked and sounded like a mentally disabled individual. I yelled my husband's name 3 times but couldn't speak right to form full sentences. I could only get out partial sentences, speaking only the important clue words. My tongue for the first time ever went numb along with my upper lip and my right hand, which was also stiff. I definitely had anxiety at that point, but I couldn't speak clear enough for my husband,of whom I had awoken from a sound sleep,to understand that something was seriously wrong with me. This entire attack only lasted up to 30 min. If my perception of time isn't off.  I really don't have a question here, but rather want to let some of the others who have posted here know that there are other disorders etc. which have similar symptoms that they have posted of. I also have been seeing a neurologist for approx. 2 1/2 years and being treated for MS, though I am undiagnosed with MS at this time. My MRI's have been clear of visual lesions. MS has many sensory and other symptoms such as those some of you have posted AND if no lesions show up on MRI, there is no clear cut answer as to why you are experiencing these bizarre symptoms that you are. After the possible TIA that I experienced, the spasticity, tremors and twitching that I have experienced these past 2 1/2 yrs were occuring full force, including a migraine aura two days after the attack. I really do not know,nor do my specialists as to whether this attack was a TIA and a prompter for the MS exacerbation-if that is what's going on, or perhaps it could have just been an exacerbation of MS with rare symptom of alexia accompanying. I also have aortic valve and mitral valve insufficiency and saw my cardiologist today. I will be having a Transesophageal Echocardiography-TEE on Jan. 26, to check my heart and those valves, just in case they are spitting out small clots and caused a TIA.  Either way I am going to have to have some faith in God, my specialists knowledge/experience/education and continue to educate my self as well.  I know that it is difficult to not allow fear to take over, but you must not allow anxiety over "not knowing" cause even more symptoms. I also know that the anxiety can cause you to be hyper-sensitive to everything that you feel in your body. Even to those physical feelings which are normal. Keep a journal and be honest with your doctors. Hang in there. I hope you are able to find within you some comfort for your anxieties. btw. my nickname comes from living with two boys and my husband-too much testosterone! :o)  Take care
Hello there.I am 37 years old, male, and I had my first TIA in January 2005. I was then diagnosed with high blood pressure and high(ish)cholesterol. I was not very careful and continued to smoke, not really tighten up on what I was eating, and not get enough exercise. I learned my lesson 10 Jan 06 when it happened again,much worse with paralysis down my right side taking 2-3 days to clear. While there I had a heart attack, had an angiogram,an angioplast, and a stent inserted in my coronary artery (90 pc closed I was told)In total I spent 3 weeks in 2 seperate hospitals. It took 4-5 months before I could return to work, and Im about 95 pc back to what I was.The problem is that my Basilar artery is degraded to the extent of what you would find in a much older person. This, I am told is a hereditary problem, compounded by external factors such as cigarette smoking,salt/fat diet and a slightly below average fitness level. Im on BP tablets, cholesterol tablets, and thinners. I gave up smoking, get regular exercise and (try) to be careful what I put in my body food wise.I still get symptoms (maybe side effects from the tablets, or my arteries reacting to same or effects of my condition) which nag at me almost daily.I get whats called 'shooting pains', sharp needle like pains in my head,neck, temples lasting maybe 30-40 seconds.Spicy foods sometimes give me woeful indegestion across my chest. My balance is still a bit off and I wake up very early and get very tired after 10 at night. My BP is tightly controlled but I have to be careful to keep it that way. Does anyone have the same problem with their Basilar artery? You value everything more when you get a fright like I got. God is looking down on us all methinks?
Tom
I had what my doctor thinks is a TIA only three nights ago, though I didn't explain everything completely to him.  I got so scared when he told me it was a TIA and I've been terrified ever since.  Finding this forum is a big help to me because I don't feel so alone.  

I was lying in bed reading (I had been reading all day, though not in bed) and my husband asked if he should turn out the light or if I wanted to read more.  I told him to turn out the light.  

As soon as he did, I noticed my left eye was not "seeing" as well as it should be.  It seemed like there was a black "spot" in front of it.  I covered my right eye and I could see the window in front of me, but not the moonlight coming in through the slats.  I covered my left eye and I could see everything.  I tried covering my right eye again.  Same thing.  I didn't have a "blind spot" but I just couldn't see the light coming in.  The whole window was black, like a TV screen, though I could see it.  I turned and looked back to another window that had more light coming in and I could see, though my vision in my left eye was dimmer.  I know the blindness could have resolved in the few seconds before I put my hand over my right (unaffected eye) but it still seems strange to me that all I couldn't see was the moonlight coming in through the slats.  I thought if vision resolved after a brief TIA, then I'd see the moonlight dimly and see it just grow stronger.

I then ran, really ran, with no problems, upstairs and told a family member I might be having a detached retina.  Then, all was fine.  I went to the bathroom, went to bed and shrugged it off.  I saw the doctor the next day for depression and just mentioned the eye incident as an afterthought.  Now I find myself scheduled to have an echocardiogram and a carotid duplex as well as blood tests, which I'll have, of course.  The doctor also put me on daily aspirin therapy, 81 mg. day.  He said my carotid arteries and heart sounded fine, but of course, the distinctive sound of blockage is not always heard.

I've never been sick in my life except for mumps, measles, and chicken pox as a child and shingles in August, which cleared with no side effects.  I have no family history of cardiovascular disease (I mean none, not even all four grandparents families), am Caucasian, have normal blood pressure (about 120/60, sometimes a lower systolic), good pulse (about 50 usually), exercise an hour daily, eat almost no fat, salmon but no other meat, take vitamins, lots of fiber, never smoked, never drank alcohol, never took illegal drugs, never had migraines.  I am somewhat overweight and dieting.  I'm fifty-nine and look and feel thirty-nine.  People take for thirty-nine or forty.  I considered myself so lucky before this.  

I do have extreme anxiety and depression and have had for quite some time.  The doctor started me on Paxil 20 mg. and I was already taking Valium 10 mg. and Inderal 20 mg. once a day.  Even with all of this, I'm a total wreck of nerves.  No one in my family will talk to me about what happened or my fears.  They think I'm making too much out of it and maybe I am, especially after reading this forum.  But this is totally new to me and I'm just terrified.  I was relaxed, for me, when it happened, by the way, but still stressed.

I guess I am lucky.  So far, I have no residual effects.  I feel fine physically, just a wreck mentally and so, so afraid.  You do value everything so much more after this kind of scare.  I love my life and don't want to leave it.

Good luck to everyone on the forum and thanks for posting.  I feel I'm not alone in this and have friends even though I've never communicated with any of you.

Does anyone else find it odd that the moonlight was the only thing I couldn't see?

Again, good luck to us all and God bless us all.
I was diagnosed with having had a TIA out of nowhere aged 29. All tests found nothing except for a PFO, my health generally very good except for a stressful job.

5-6 weeks on I'm still experiencing sporadic tingling (although this is improving), I get pins and needles very easily whenever I lie on a limb, plus persistent tinnitus in left ear, occasional left-sided headaches and also nausea when looking at a computer or TV screen for long periods of time.

The doctors haven't explained at all why i'm having symptoms still... TIA's are supposed to clear up almost straight away, aren't they?!
I'm not sure if TIAs clear up right away.  If the doctors can't explain why you're having symptoms, then there's no damage and no ongoing problem.  Did the doctor put you on daily low-dose aspirin therapy?  Mine did.  I know that can cause tinnitus, but if you're on aspirin, you shouldn't stop it.  The other symptoms could possibly be anxiety over the TIA (I know I have anxiety), but if they can't find a reason for the symptoms, maybe you should see another doctor or ask for a mild tranquilizer since your job is so stressful.  I know cutting out caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate, all soft drinks) helped me greatly.  It's really important to cut out caffeine, and that means all caffeine, not just reducing it.  Caffeine raises blood pressure and elevated blood pressure is the biggest risk factor.  Good luck to you.  I hope you feel better soon.
Hi Mnt and Buckeye

I was just diagnosed with the PFO after 4.5 years of terrible health (alot of backstory). My Neuro said that small clots are able to pass through to the brain and cause the TIA's. Is this what you were told also?

Jazzy
I'm having my echocardiogram tomorrow and my carotid duplex on Friday, probably my bloodwork on Friday, too, so I don't have any test results yet.  However, I've read that small clots can form when one has a PFO or atrial fibrillation.  I think sometimes they close the PFOs and sometimes they don't.  Sometimes they prefer to manage the PFOs with medication.  Strange that people are born with PFOs and yet they usually don't cause any symptoms until adulthood.

Good luck with your appointment, Jazzy.

Buckeye
Thanks buckeye... yes on aspirin and will try without caffeine and sugar though don;t usually have much of them anyway.

I saw a neurologist who also mentioned that oxygen bubbles can form and move through the PFO as well as clots.

It is strange why they should all of a sudden cause a problem... and then after the initial TIA keep causing them.

Hope both your tests and appointments went well...  

My echo and carotid duplex came back perfectly normal, but the doctor is keeping me on aspirin therapy for the time being.  I had my bloodwork done yesterday but probably won't have the results until Monday or Tuesday.  I still have my opthamologist's appointment, but with the clean arteries and good heart, it's not as much of a priority as it was before.  My doctor says he isn't even sure I had a TIA now.  Well, I hope I didn't.

I think I read that PFOs usually don't cause problems when we're children, but they can in adulthood, though I'm only 90% sure of this.  I know I read that sometimes they aren't surgically treated but are managed in other ways, usually with medication.  If surgically closed, then the risk for clots is gone, I think.

I do know aspirin can cause tinnitus and some people just develop tinnitus for no apparent reason.

Good luck to both of you.  Health problems are awful, aren't they?  I still have a few more to get straightened out.  Again, good luck.
Hi Buckeye, I am glad to read that your tests came back normal, that is wonderful news. I hope you can find out what happened. Good luck to you also!

Jazzy
Thanks, Jazzy.  My cholesterol levels are also in the optimal range, so who knows?  Heart is, in the doctor's words, "perfect" and my carotid arteries are 100% clean.  I still have my opthamologist appointment so maybe that will turn up something.  Good luck with the treatment for the PFO.  I hope it all goes extremely well.
Looking for a little advice/help please - a close relative has had several TIA's - so this forum has been of GREAT help - all symptoms that no one would believe - blocked throat, explosion in head, aching joints, drooped mouth (of which was the giveaway), blood pressure, cholesterol now under control and on aspirin daily BUT what are the after symptoms?  confused, ratty, forgetfull, argumentative, hyper-active, skin rashes??  are these symptoms that anyone has been left with ?  Or could these be symptoms from the medication.  Doctors seem un-interested with symptoms - any advice would be much appreciated - thanks worried relative
With TIAs there should in theory be no symptoms/after-effects after about 24 hours, and all the doctors i've spoken also seem uninterested in symptoms since even my father told me it was probably in my head!). I've recently (after Christmas parties) clearly linked alcohol use to one of my symptoms - something i never had prior to my TIA. So there must be some change in my body since the TIA... not sure if the doctors will listen to that or just tell me it's nothing again.

From reading posts on here it's clear that many people do suffer symptoms/after-effects but with doctors generally not interested in these i can only conclude that either (i) it's common to have psychosomatic problems, which doctors don't know how to treat or (ii) the after effects of TIAs are not fully understood.
I had my Hemoraghic Stroke back in 1998 , 2 weeks before I got married. I was driving down the highway and suddenly had a flashing pain go from my neck into my head and then vertigo and vomiting. I managed to drive to a phone to call 911and then woke up 5 hours later feeling fine. It took a while to get diagnosed after multiple trips to the ER for similiear symptoms before landing in intensive care which led to the answer. I have had all these symptoms since and take coumadin,plavix,terazosin and lisinopril to control the TIA type symptoms. I also take occasional valium for residual dizziness(lessened as time goes on) and have developed asthma symptoms controlled by inhalers and clariten. My heart is healthy and I have had all the test known to mankind, two caths, 4 echos of different types,chemical and tread stress, have worn halter monitor and mri's, cat scans and more. My cardiologist took me off coumadin and the sympoms of TIA came back so here we are. I am 51, active and while stressed, my wife (she married me the day I got out of the hospital and we have been married 10 yeasr with two kids. My personallity was changed (she says) and I do have some swings depending on my med load. I pray for all of you to find the answers to this misunderstood condition. Sincerely, Carl Gardner Richmond, Kansas
This site has been very helpful to me.  At least, I am not alone.  Not one of you mentioned being diabetic.  Supposed to be big contributing factor.  Had my TIA on Tuesday evening.  Scared to death.  MD out of town.  Went through ER.  Had every test in the book.  
I had a TIA last month and it has taken me a month to get back to normal. The first 6 hours were the worst. I could speak and walk again by that time and I improved daily from then but it definitely wasn't all over after 24 hrs. I still get very tired very quickly. I also have tinnitus but that started before the TIA.
I'm now waiting to have tests to see if I have a PFO which would give me a reason for all of this.
Best of luck everyone!
my name is tom i am 47...and last year a bomb was dropped on me...... i had a tia while operating my crane i went to talk and it all came out wrong i was rushed to hospital were they found i have had 3 tia,s then they told me i had a tear in my heart...mmmmmm.shocked or what......i then went on to have a few more heart attacks, prob due to the stress of the shock of it all,in nov i had open heart surgery and am still recovering.....yes its been hard, and yes ,i feel ,and have all the syptoms (symptoms) that i have read in this forum,....no matter what any -one tells you ,all that you feel" is real"........."to all off us".....and yes it is one thing i would,nt wish on anyone.....however........if what i say helps...please read on.....if you lost a leg would you stop walking?...no....why do people who have, still get itchy foot? does anybody really understand....no, but what we all can do is adapt.....and if the mind can trick you/ us to have these symptons..why can we trick our own brain.sounds crazy?......but think.......example.....ever cut yourself and not noticed until you see the blood? why did,nt you feel the pain?....but when you saw it you went..ohhh....,,,,,try to carry on with life don,t manifest...and most importantly......what every one on this forum will say is "we all forgot to have a really good laught." love to you all tom
Hi all,

I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I am a 46 year old female, 105 lbs. Not stressed out.  Feb 14/08 (go figure - Valentines day) was when this all started -  blurred vision, loss of strength and dizziness. My blood pressure is high according to the doctors, but when I monitor it at home - it is just right, if not low. My MRI apperantly shows that I have scarring on the left side of my brain, which tells him I had a stroke.  I am still undergoing tests (it is now the end of September) They did find a hole in my heart (so says the technician who did the CT scan) but I have yet to hear from any doctor. I am dizzy all the time and I find myself stumbling into walls & bumping into things(I alway seem to fall to the right). When I hit a pothole while driving I get a real shifting feeling in my head. I've only had one aura since, but it did not turn into a headache. Lets just say I do a lot of squinting and scrunching up my eyes to regain focus several times a day. I wish it would all go away as you all do to!
TIA's are temporary.  Just as thier name implies.  All symptoms should resolve within a matter of hours.  IF your symptoms continue, seek help!  Cerebral vascular insufficiency can cause MOST of the symptoms that so many of you are describing.  How to treat CVI is a matter of great debate.  Certainly ASA therapy is indicated, however, keep in mind that the job of aspirin is to kill platelets, taking your blood longer to clot, not preventing clots entirely.  In other words, taking ASA daily keeps the number of circulating platelets down, reducing your clotting ability.  Plavix makes the platelets "less sticky" preventing them from sticking to plaque and each other reducing your risk of clot formation.  One member mentioned migraines.  There is a type of migraine that is very dangerous and can lead to stroke or TIA.  What happens is during the headache the brain experiences severe vasospasms, which in turn can cause a TIA due to limited oxygen supply from the severly constricted vessels or CVA from trapped blood forming clots in the severely constricted vessels.  I have suffered 2 strokes from this type of migraine.  My first, at age 38, I had 5 clots.  My second, 6 months later, I had 2 clots.  The residual damage from stroke can takes weeks, months, or years to resolve....some take a lifetime and never fully recover.  This WILL NOT happen with a TIA!!!!!!  Ask your neuro about CVI and discuss treatment options!!!!
Sometimes, it is somewhat in our heads...so to speak.  Suffering through such a scarey event...at any age....causes harm not only to our bodies and brains...but to our entire sense of well being.  For soooo long I was afraid that anything out of the ordinary was a new stroke.  In fact, I was just so much more attuned now to what my body was doing, that I was noticing more than I ever would have before!  It's OK and PERFECTLY NORMAL to experience this!!!!  If it becomes bothersome to the point of interferring with your life...talk to someone!  Seek the guidance of a NEURO-psychologist.  These wonderful people are specifically trained in treating/helping individuals who have suffered neurological episodes or damage.  They understand!!!!  Good luck and God Bless each of you!!!  Remember knowledge is power!!!  I am not a stroke victiom, I am a stroke survivor!
I am 38 years old and I had a massive stroke about 3 weeks ago, God really saved me, I only have minor symptoms, visual deficit and some speech problems,  I went today for barium swallow exray, I am having chest pains after eating, has anyone had the same problem, please let me know, I will go doctor neurologist in about 2 weeks and I have going to myfamily doctor until then, i have quite smoking and I am now taking plavix and verapamil, I am so scared my friends and family do understand, everyone says I should be thankful it wasn't worst and I am every minute of every dayand I thank god all the time, but I am still scared Just wantedto share with some one who may understand
I spent time in hospital from Sunday 9th Nov got out Fri 14th,I had 3 episodes of dizziness not being able to speak mouth dropping left side of body going numb,blurred vision.Only realised dropped mouth after suffering one of these at work,and boss being a rgn sent  me to doctor.Have had ct scans,mri scans,blood tests,Doctors told me on the Thursday i had suffered TIA,S,but nothing on scans and all had gone.Then late Thursday neuroligist said i had probably suffered headaches,only on one of these episodes did i get a headache,on the Friday had to drink barium then dye put into my blood and go through ct scan again.before this i had to stay in bed for an hour and had blood taken from my wrist three times during an hour to test hormone or something,because my bp was so low during my stay in hospital.I was allowed home Friday evening,not got back results from Friday yet.I have an outpatient app with the neuroligist in three weeks,have been signed off work for four weeks.Anyone who witnessed these episodes including my boss think they looked like TIA,S my neighbour phoned my sister getting me to hospital on the last one,I was happy to stay at home.Im confused Im forty and never suffered with migranes (migraines) have they suddenly started now?It has been the scariest three weeks of my life,and i have not had an easy life i dont scare easy Im confused,shall i just write it all off as a headache.
i am a 58 year old female had a series of tias early september was hospitalised for 2 weeks seem to have recovered quite well, noise has become a big issue with me as has fleeting numbness of the face and pain both sides of the neck. also have the strange and scary feeling of small electric shocks in my head and legs.  i to was told no after effects. one caratiod atery is completely blocked and headaches worsening my problem is afer reading these comments i feel there seem to be common thread of varying quite clear symptoms.  i myself have not discussed my personal experiences with my gp or anyone else thus far but i feel if i do i know what the respnse will be good luck to all

I had a TIA on January 16th 2009 - woke up from a nap with a shaky left hand then my husband noticed that one side of my face was moving and the other was not - so off to the hospital we went - i am still having a little problem with speaking and i dont feel "right" - apparently the dr told my husband that this probably not my first TIA since my symptoms didnt go away immediately.....I am 43 with high BP (controlled with meds) probable stage 3 CKD shingles and depression - i am also at the moment very overweight.......dont eat right and dont exercise - but i dont smoke and i am NOT a diabetic.....mri and cat scan showed nothing and my echo was fine except for a SMALL mitral valve problem which i already knew about and i have about 15% blockage in my neck.....scared the you know what out of me...my husband is terrified - my boss (i am a church secretary and am extremely close to him and his wife) is scared to death....i have always thought that i had enough time to lose the weight and get better etc. but i guess i dont...
Wow , I wish i had been here about 3 years ago!  I was 33 when i had my first TIA.  The symptoms stayed with me for a while.  I did go back to work about 2 days later even with the bad headaches, dizzyness, visual disturbances...etc.  About 2 months after my TIA I had a stroke.  They said that the TIA can kind of be like a warning of whats to happen later. Yeay me!  The stroke took my peripheal vision on my left side.  They still dont know why i had a stroke.  They did find a PFO (sounds like its popular!) and I had the cardio seal implant about 2 months after my full stroke.  They put me on blood thinners, blood pressure meds, migraine meds, headache meds...blah blah. Just until recently my head has been pretty stable...not that many headaches, fuzzyness and all that.  I took myself off some of the meds because i felt like the doctors were just doping me up to mask the symptoms.  At this time I am on to my new adventure of finding out that I have Lupus and possible Hashimotos disease.  I say "Bring it On!!"  I will and can conquer anything.  Be good to yourself...Im figuring that one out as I go.
Take Care Everyone. Peace.
i had what as called bell's palsy day after x-mas took the meds they usually give talked funny, mouth drooped,eye drooped, right side of my face was tingle but my right thumb felt like it would explode, i went to my reg. dr. a week later he side tingling wasn't a effect of bells.i had a mri run and ultra sound and mt left aretry in my neck is 35-50 % blocked
my bp i managable 130 /8o good cholestrol 120 taking med to control
but my nerves is a wreck,I am seeing a specialist to see if they need cleaning but think it is  waste of time and money,, i have had no pain just scared to death of this any help or suggestions, he did give me some anxiety pills
I had a TIA Jan 21st and watched the inagural from a hospital bed!
About 9am my whole left side went numb, called 911, ambulance, stroke center hospital, MRI,CAT scan, EKG, echocardio,etc.  
The original feeling of the "gone to sleep" tingling, numbness seemed to wear off gradually about 1pm but then returned less powerfully and then wore off again and back again about 5 pm.  Each time a little less in intensity.  I'm 71, not heavy, have good blood pressure usually, but
this day it was very high and they have decided it was from the decongrestant-antihistamine I was taking.  I WILL NOT TAKE THEM
EVER AGAIN!!!!
For today I'm having the "gone to sleep"  muscle in my left bicep,
I feel a little dizzy, and because of the stopped up head (I can't breathe through my nose at all) I'm mouth breathing all the time which is difficult, and I'd sure like these disoriented feeling to go away.  I am
extremely tired all the time and I can't seem to sleep enought. Eight hours or more at night, morning naps, afternoon naps and I feel like
I haven't slept at all.

I'm sure anxiety is part of it, but a baby aspirin is all I can do?  Dr
also said to exercise more.  I'll have to figure out how to do that.
I'm so glad I read this.

unfortunately my bp went up in a bad way on tuesday ;) - but i am starting to feel better and better each day - however a very close friend of mines husband died in Afghanistan on Friday - but like my Dr said - we ALL need to try to relax - I am trying to eat better - and I have lost some weight since I got out of hospital but I am a true type A and its hard to stop it sometimes.....one of the nurses suggested meditation but I am not sure if I have the patience to do that either.....
i had my first tia at 35 and now have symptomsoften on a weekly basis  which i found terrifying but it has almost become normal now due to their frequency. i am beginning to wonder if i am confusing anxiety with tia's/ apparently the symptoms of anxiety attacks can be similar. the symptoms come out of the blue even when i am feeling totally relaxed so i am not sure but i have noticed that often after a long flight i tend to get the symptoms much more severlely whcih makes me think i am having a thrombosis

i just wish i knew what it was....i would rather know i was suffwering from anxiety than having a stroke
I think I had ANOTHER one the other day - the inside edge of my left palm was tingling and I felt sick - and I think my face was goofy again - I am seriously considering getting a cane because I am starting to think people think i am somewhat drunk not just slurring my words slightly and unsteady on my feet because of the tias....but i flew to san diego on tues and did just fine on the plane.....
I too wish I found this forum years ago, I had my TIA back in 2004, I thought I was food poisoned after thanks giving dinner, I was severly nausus, left side face,arm and leg went numb. It past after a few hours, I went to the doctor 2 days later... and he told what had happened ( TIA )and kept me in the hospital for a couple days.. He said that this was a prelude to the big one. Though my left side took a few months to fully recover. Years later I still have reaccurring symtoms (symptoms), that the neuralogist cant seem to find. I was beginning to think I was crazy, til i found this forum.. Lately I feel like my brain is shorting out, because my short term memory is aweful. I have terrible insomnia . My left side of my face and neck gets numb and tight when Im tense and My left hand gets weak , but it goes away after an hour or 2. The doctor cant find anything other than my High blood pressure wrong.
This is really scary. I really need to get my Blood pressure under control , but everything the doctor gives my gives me side effects that I cant function with. Will these symtoms (symptoms) ever stop? Or am I really waiting for the Big One?
I had a attack which dr said was a very light stroke.er dr diagnosed as bells palsy took his med when i go  to see my dr.after having tingling in right hand he assured me it was not bells palsy, my left carotid artery was near rupture and had surgery to repair now i am on aspirin and plavix for a while but if any one has or is diagnosed as bells palsy and has other symptoms other than the face get to a dr quick... i am on low fat diet no red meat or its products i have lost 25 lbs was not obese trying to get cholestrol down to where dr wants it but get  second opinion when in doubt.other than right side of my nose feels a little numb and effects of surgery 7 weeks ago i feel better daily. my attack was 26 day of dec.
I THINK I had a TIA but havent had it confirmed yet.  The main symptom was involuntary eye blinking, along with dizziness, headache and neck ache and feeling spaced out for a few days.  II thought - wished - it was a virul infection.  I'm fit and do a LOT of excercise am not massively overweight.  My dad died of a massive stroke - but he was 82 - and he was incredibly fit for his age.  My doc said much of it was down to genes.  I drink a couple of bottles of wine each week but am going to try to half that.  I have also smoked and do still a little but that's going to stop to - though it will be hard - I only have a few a day so I can hardly beleive its had any effect.  Its very reassuring coming to this thread - thanks to all of you for making me feel part of a group.
I'm 46 yrs old and have been in perfect health until now. I have never smoked, eat healthy and exercise everyday.  I had what my doctor ruled to be a TIA one week ago and I still do not feel right. All I have had done so far was a CT scan and it came back normal. But, I still feel weakness and tingling in my right arm and on and off light headed off balance feeling and since about a day after the TIA  I have felt a burning sensation and heavy feeling in my upper chest and a feeling that something is stuck in my throat. I then feel like I can't breath and start to panic. Until tonight it has not bothered me when I sleep but, tonight it woke me up I'm sitting here deciding if I should go to the ER. Has anyone else had these feelings following a TIA?

It may or may not be another TIA - get it checked out.

Remeber a TIA is a warning, don't ignore it.

HTH

Sue
I had a TIA about 8 months ago and I still have residual symptoms.  My understanding was that they should be gone in 24 hours, but that's not been my experience.  I have memory issues, trouble finding the right words, spelling is hard now, sensitive to noise, visual disturbances.  When, I first got home, I spent a lot of time regaining some of my lost coordination and needed to sleep an incredible amount.  

Time is helping, I'm slowly getting better.  It's unguided, my neurologist tends to use migraines or stress as the cause, which I don't really think are the deal.  As someone previously posted he thinks its all in my head.  I'm taking the prescribed meds and try to remember it doesn't matter how it use to be, what matters is doing the best I can today.  

It's irritating at times, but, it is how it is...

It may be worth checking out info on Central Pain Syndrome - http://painonline.org & http://www.painonline.com - Also there is a support group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cps_alliance/

Some symptoms people are describing sounds all too familiar with Central Pain Syndrome.

Check out the websites and you'll be enlightened.

Peace to you all
Tanjarine
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have been diagnosed recently with "recurrent TIAs" - the first was when I was getting into my car and suddenly felt very weak on the right side. I saw my doctor and she put me in the hospital overnight for observation. A CT scan and all other tests turned up normal. Then a few days later, I felt like I couldn't move my tongue and it felt weird to chew, so I ended up back in the hospital for 3 days, again with all tests coming up normal (echocardiagram, carotid ultrasound).

Like others here, even though the diagnosis was TIA, I have had residual symptoms, especially in my right hand coordination and left leg/foot.  I also have some instances of numbness in my face and extremities. When I mention some of these symptoms, the doctors seem perplexed. Now, reading some of these accounts here, I'm wondering if they're thinking it's "all in my mind."  I'm scheduled for an MRI in two weeks so we'll see what that turns up.

Anyway, I had always read that TIA symptoms were supposed to resolve within 24 hours, but apparently that's not necessarily the case.
I had a stroke 8 months ago, aged 41, pfo was diagnosed although still waiting for cardiology dept at hospital to respond to this! I recovered well and after about 4 months i had no residual symptoms at all however about 6 weeks ago i started getting a "heavy" feeling in my left arm. i saw my gp who said that i didnt appear to have any weakness and that we should just "see how it goes" Has anyone else had this happen to them?  
I recently had a mini-stroke at age 51.   I am in excellent health, not overweight, and exercise three times a week. After three days in the hospital and many medical tests, a PHO was found, and an MRI showed that it was indeed a stroke.  One week after the stroke, I started having tingling in my right arm and leg.  My right eye was constantly tearing, and I had headaches off and on.  You have no idea how happy I was to discover this message board and realize that I was not alone.  I was amazed that many of you had the same symptoms as I have.  I know that stress can bring on symptoms, but I do think that even though I recovered completely, there are lasting symptoms long after a stroke.  I hope to have this hole closed soon, as I continue to fear another episode.
Good luck to all of you~
I'm 43 and 4 months ago I had a couple of TIA's, then a stroke a few hours later. It affected my right side, but I was back to normal a month later. Since that time I've also had tingling/numbness off and on in my cheek and arm on my left side. The opposite side from my stroke. It's not in my mind, not a panic attack, or brought on by stress. I was relaxing, sitting and watching tv a half hour ago and had the symptoms again. Of course whenever it happens I immediately think TIA. The symptoms usually go away within 15 minutes and aren't nearly as bad as my original TIA's though. But, like others have said, it's good to know other people that have gone through this are experiencing similar things.      
I've had 3 experiences with similar symptoms.
I had all the tests done and the only thing they found was a small pfo.I am taking aspirin daily.
Neurologist said it was a migraine stroke.
My BP goes very high(even though I'm on medication) whenever I go the doctors office, but is low at home.
I also have anxiety and agoraphobia. I was taking Lexapro for those problems, but I stopped the Lexapro after 4 years.Still have the same problems.
I have a Holter monitor on now and will have another thalium stress test at the end of the week.
The migraine strokes started about 5 years ago.
I'm thirty five, While sitting at my computer I felt a sudden knot in my neck, then came the the blurred vision, hearing loss, and numbness of extremities. I looked at my wife and said something is wrong. We wound up in the emergency room and I had a blood pressure of 177/117. I sat in the waiting room for three hours without being seen. I eventually walked out and saw a general practitioner the following day. I was trembling, anxious, fatigued, dizzy, panicked, and couldn't sleep through the night without having a severe panic attack. He prescribed a diruetic, xanex, and lexapro. This episode was two months ago and like previously mentioned some day's are okay, but then the panic, fatigue, and the ringing of the ears are very severe still. I also am getting the tearing of the eyes as well. I had a blood test that revealed a a calcium component which suggested a parathyroid condition. I then had a PTH/calcium test that fell within range. My doctor told me this is good news but no it is not, A parathyroid operation would have been an easy fix. I am now going through another blood test next week, upon my request to double check the calcium component again. My body feels like it has aged ten years since this happened and and am fearful the big one could just be right around the corner. I have a ten year old son that I want to see grow up. I am paying for this out of pocket, being a thirty five year old self employed healthy individual, I didn't have insurance.
I am a disabled veteran.  I am 30 years old.  I had a TIA last Friday and another yesterday.  I can't get any help.  They keep telling me that I am too young.  They tell me that about all of my medical conditions.  I am still having debilitating symptoms.  Dizziness, numbnmess, weakness on my right side, headache, nausia, and NoL appitite.  I have to force myself to eat.   They can't or won't see me until May 4th.  I can't drive and can't function.  My regular doctor said to go back to the ER but they just run test tell me to follow up with my regular doctor and send me home.  My symptoms are getting worse.  What do I do?
Allywall, I hope that you continued and/or continue to persist in getting a diagnosis as to what caused your TIA.  From the diagnostic procedures I am currently going through for the 2 TIA's I underwent this week, I know already that it's important not only to know you had a TIA but what caused it.  I went to the ER after my TIA's, but I was dumped in the hallway with no attention except an internist sitting next to me a couple of times over a period of over 5 hours saying it wasn't a TIA because I was on warfrin.  I saw my neurologist (also have MS) 3 days later, and he confirmed the TIA diagnosis.  Then, brilliant doctor that he is, ordered about 20 blood tests, an EKG, an ultrasound of both carotid arteries in my neck, an echocardiogram and a heart monitor.  This was yesterday, so I don't have results yet, but I know I am being taken care of.  Having said all this, I'm scared to death and still wonder if anxiety/stress can cause another TIA while I am waiting.  If anyone knows anything about the stress/TIA connection (if there is one?), please reply.  Best of luck to you allywall, for sure!
I had my first TIA about three and a half weeks ago. I know leading up to it i had been quite stressed for some weeks and had had high blood pressure. I think it encouraged it to happen but am sure it was probably a number of things that myself and the docters are not aware of.
I am 26 of age! About a year ago I went for migraines and the doctor told me it was stressed, gave me meds for pain, and let me go. I have no issues of High blood pressure, heart issues, or cholesterol problems. I can push through the pain until the end of March 2010 the migraines were so severe I went back. My General Doctor referred me to a neuro and they ordered tests. A MRI and a Echocardio with bubbles on April 8th. Thursday they called and said I had 2 strokes without knowing and that I had a hole in the heart (PFO). On the 12th of April I woke up at 3am with so weird symptoms but I pushed them aside. Then woke up at 8 and I couldn't use my right arm. I wen tto the doctor and he immediately sent me to the hospital (for a very short visit he said) because He didn't like my symptoms. I was in the hospital from the 13th to the 23rd because I had 2 strokes, every organs having issues, a hole in the heart, and blood pressure 44/32 for 5 days. Then I was released and I was rushed back to the hospital the next week for another TIA. They ordered me to close my hole in the heart. On May 11th that happened and it turns out that I had a very HUGE hole in the heart and they are surprised I was alive. I did not have the PFO I had the Atrium Septal Defect after the device malfunctioned because they didn't know it was that huge. All in all I thought everything was going to fix the migraines, exhaustion, numbness after the heart surgery until 3 weeks ago. I am now having migraines every day and having "episodes" where I the right side of my face swells and droops, I can't speak clearly, painful right arm, lose vision on right eye and blurry on the left eye. I am afraid to drive because it happens 3 to 15 times a day, everyday. All the signs of a TIA. I've called the doctor every time and he can't do anymore. First he thought I had an aneurysm, then tumor, now he thinks I have seizures. I am off all medication because nothing helps the pain for my migraine so He said don't take it. The doctor is not calling me back and I fear that I will be in a worse shape. Especially now my left side is having all the symptoms of the prior symptoms of the right side. So Question? Is it possible to have a TIA everyday. I don't think about having them until all of a sudden one minute I'm perfectly fine and in 2 seconds I have the episodes and everyone at works see's it and notices it. It's quite the topic. What would you recommend for me?

*Sorry for the long message but all of this happened in the last 2 and a half month***
This is a great thread! I am 32 years old and I had a TIA on Friday. It was extremely scary, I was home alone with my three year old son. I am still having some numbness and weakness in right side....I don't know if this is normal. My Dr. says it is a huge thing for your body to go thorugh so it needs a little bit of time to recover. Does this sound right? I am getting very frustrated and want to go back to living a completly normal everyday life.

I had what they think is a TIA attack while on vacation on Aug 12th, 2010 almost 1 week ago. I woke up fine, my husband let me sleep late and I was well rested. We were vacationing w/ friends and I had just picked up my god child from her high chair and taken her out to the deck to get some fresh air. Her father walked by to get something in the car when the attack happened. I suddenly got dizzy, out of the blue ands asked him to help me inside. They got me to lay down on the couch and I called for my husband because I knew something wasn't right. My friend said I was speaking slurred, I immediately got a headache on the right side of my head that went into my neck, numbness down the right side of my body down to my knee and pins and needles feeling on my face and hands. It was over before it began so I brushed it off but all symptoms didn't go away immediately. Two hours later I called my doctor upon everones urges and he told me to head straight to the hospital. When I got there they rushed me straight back and did bloodwork, EKG, MRI, CAT Scan, chest X-Ray that came up clean w/ no signs of stroke. Yesterday I went to my PC and he put me on 325 mg of Aspirin a day and I see a Neurologist tomorrow morning and have a ultrasound set up for my carodid arteries. I have had problems with vision in the past few months as well as a tightening on the right side of my face occuring. I have also had an MRI a few years back after seing a Nuerologist because I had symptoms of MS. They ruled that out. I have had some symptoms such as an annoying headache ever since the episode last week and some dizziness. I am hoping I will get answers in the coming weeks..
I don't think that there is a normal pattern with TIA it seems very complex to me and i think over simplified.  I had two strokes 16 months ago.I am 47 female. I have never smoked not over weight no blood pressure or problems with high cholesterol levels in my veins.  I have been on medication for 16 month but last week whilst at work suffered a mini stroke or so diagnosed and i had really bad visual problems just before hand and saw the room swirling-ling round  i had some sort of a seizure and was taken to hospital.  The brain scans show noting on my brain, but i feel worse from this attack that my first strokes that did show on my brain.  I seem to have developed a stutter and i have an uncomfortable feeling under my chest.  I feel less able than ever before I am very worried about everything i do and keep panicking i am seeing the doctor again tommorow and I do not know what the future holds for me. I feel like I have aged 10 years in the last year I have no confidence and feel topsy turvy I used to be so in control. I am now irritable I can't always think of the words i used to.  I cant concentrate I feel like such a loser,  I just want to be well again.   I was also diagnosed with celiac disease, wheat and gluten intolerance.
My Dad is 75 he had a mini stroke that has affected his left hand & arm its been a week today he is home from the hospital but he is now hearing singing in is head and he is hearing me & my sister voices talking to him and he is answering and were not there talking to him is this normal to be having after a stroke ??? nancy
I'm not a neurologist but if you cornered one off the record, I bet they would tell you that Neurologists, do not fully understand the all of the side affects of TIA's.

I'm a 57 year old male and a high school teacher. In Jan. 2009 I had a series of TIAs that landed me in the hospital for 3 days. I received an all clear no damage after a barage of MRI's, Sonograms on major organs. I was at a new high school which was a pressure cooker, stress wise. I missed almost 30 days out. Since I was a new teacher with this school district my contract was not renewed, since it was probationary(did not surprise me), I could not find a teaching position in my certification area, so I was unemployed for the '09-'10 school year. I've taught for the previous 15 years.
I have a bad back with Spinal Stenosis in the C7 and L2-S1 vertebra. I found another teaching position(I honestly didn't want to return to the classroom but I accepted it for the health insurance. In mid Sept., I had another TIA. Realtively short term in duration about 20-25 minutes. Since I was in a new town I saw a local neurologist, I expected to be hospitalized but he just referred me to a general practitioner. I was schedule for an EEG but I was concerned that a year w/o health insurance, it would be considered a pre existing condition.To make this as short as possible. I have never felt as mentally sharp since the first TIA, returning to the high school classroom at any high school expecially bigger high schools is a pressure cooker jobs, stress wise. I have started seeing an Orthopedist, I suffered a whole year w/o insurance and I could not find an Orthopedist that would even see me. So I endured the pain with some help from tramadol. As active and mentally sharp as a teacher needs to be, I find myself knowing that, I'm no longer doing my job well. I'm considering applying for a disabilty retirement, through Texas Teacher Retirement system. The two Orthopedist I have seen, the last being a pain mgmt. specialist, stated my Spinal Stenosis is treatable with epidurals, so that by itself would not qualify me for a disabilty retirement but with several TIA's in '09 and another just last September, would likely hold up, once I saw another neurologist for testing.

I'm just very stressed with my health situation. Is it possible that the TIA's have had some neurological effects that have effected my mental/cognitive sharpness, especially my memory, vision and speech. I'm not a basket case but I just don't feel well(lethargic) with all the meds I'm on for the TIA's and I'm taking Hydrocodone for my back pain or I could not last a full day in the classroom. I honestly have come to hate teaching and it's just compounded with my health issues. I'm depressed and feel like I'm trapped and it's just not worth the extreme pain(but that will be treated soon but this a degenerative disease with my spine) but it's sure not worth having a major stroke or heart attack over. I won't have to deal with Social Security and I've paid 16 years into my TRS plan and it's not like I'd get a huge amount to live on about $18,000 a year and if possible, I would like to possibly work part time, if possible, mainly for health insurance, if I can't qualify for Medicaid. Think I have a chance for a Disabilty retirement before something really bad happens and I'm an invalid or dead. Thanks,
One stressed out old teacher!!
John

Maybe I'm not crazy...

I had a TIA 3 weeks ago and am experiencing the same kind of symptoms many of you have written about.  I know everyone is different but has anyone ever get a Dr to admit that those symptoms after the TIA were related?  My Neurologist and a couple other Dr and even my Pharmacist say there should not be any lingering affects after 24 hours.  All I know is that I still don't feel right.  Most days my head feels like it's floating, disconnected type of feeling.  I know some of what I feel, like tightening in my chest at times may be anxiety but the foggy thinking every day???  I just don't buy the fact that symptoms that pop up right after a major neurological event aren't related!!

Thanks for the input..
Had a TIA while teaching in a classroom. It only lasted about two minutes however the lasting effects a month later is beginning to drive me nuts.
Some moments I feel great and the next minute I suffer from the following lingering effects that many of you have mentioned.
Headaches I've never had before, pressure on my right eye,slight dizziness,clumsiness,heavy legs,light headed,coordination off, floating lethargic, balance off and a disconnected feeling.
All tests were done and I do have a PFO that I'll be consulting with my doctor about today.
What you feel is not in your head. It is for real.
Seek God who is the only doctor who will understand what we are going through and how to cure us.
hi... I'm 36 years old, not overweight at all, fairly active tho i dont exercise at the gym etc.. I'm a smoker ............  i have been having TIA's for as long as I have been old enough to drink alcohol, and they do only happen when i drink, does anyone know why this is????????????? my aunt on my mothers side also has TIA's after drinking alcohol... so could this be hereditory im wondering???? on a night out i get anxious and am waiting for the TIA's to happen. they last for anything from 1-3 mins and then straightaway i am absolutely fine with no after effects.. i can have up to 6 in one night ..... i have not been to my GP as all he will tell me is to not drink (which i know i shouldnt!!) but i choose to do so as i have an active social life...... I'm just wondering if theres anyone out there who this happens to also... where the TIA's occur ONLY when drinking alcohol??????????
dec of 2010 the er doc said that i had a tia..i had right side weekness,slurred speech, and slight droopiness of the right side of my face..i can't right like i used to..etc..well i had a mri 2 weeks ago, today the doc said that my mri was normal, and that nothing showed up..sha said that tia's don't show up on a mri..but i have had the weekness,slurred speech and all the symptoms of a stroke since dec 2010, and it is now march 2011..so if it is not a stroke, and since tia symptoms don't last that long, then what the heck do i have..and it is not all in my head
None believes me i had a stroke three years ago.I couldnt speak back then and they kept taking me in and out of the hospital. Never did a cat scan or mri then. If all of you were ever disgnosed with a stroke, i never was and none believes me. its f frustrating. i want that hospital responsible for ruining my life.
I have a question in January 2011 i had a stent put in my leg because of Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) and all went well in May I was having a stent put in my right leg for PAD but once they got in was worse then they thought and doctor had to do a by pass surgery on my right legg came threw it fine back at work with in 3 weeks. Then in July i started have servere pain in my right leg leg would give out and shaking called my Primary Care doctor on July 7 and they said they was booked but can another doctor in another location well explained to her what was going on she didnt seem to concern like it was in my head told her that for me to go see the doctor i am in pain well what ever she gave me Montrin and flexall. Then on July 14 I was on my way to meet one of my clients at the food pantry around 8:00 AM i reamber talking to my clients father and told him i will be there in 10 min he was going to drop my client and leave. Right after that phone call i started seeing double and severe headache i guess i hit a truck dont reamber the inpact but due reamber talking to a men and he asked me what was wrong with me he said that i was acting like i was drunk or high i told him  I was'nt eaither he told me he should call the police i said please do he asked where i was going and i must of told him he told to go there and do not drive i got back in car and for some reason i took a pen out and wrote a liccese plate number down but still dont know what kind of truck or color well anyways drove to food pantry and hit another truck the man there said that no damage to his car not to worry dont reamber truck color or anything well for the next hour i was still in a daze my client was in side volunteering spoke with a few ladies in side but dont really reamber talkin to them. Then my sister called me she realized something was wrong because every few minutes i was asking her who i was talking to she said not to leave she will be there in 5 minutes she came i called my work to talk to my manager my co-woker said i couldnt reamber my mangers name or team leader name i talked to manager she said that she was seeding some one right over to drive my client home. My sister took me to the hospital and i was admitted by thiss time my leg didnt hurt anymore they ran test and my artery to the neck was fine but nothing showed that i had a TIA and they couldnt tell me what happened well my question is the pain that i was having in my leg could have been a blood clot that ended up bursting and where nothing showed up on the test is that still possibility the doctors never gave me a answer i had to see a nurolist a month latter and he said he doesnt know what happened eaither but i seem fine know
So good to find this forum.  I suffered at least one TIA based on the MRI, and from my symptoms probably two, three weeks ago.  I only found out from the MRI, and the hospital sent me home twice.  All the cardiology tests were negative.  But I knew something was seriously wrong. Why don't they listen to us?

My doctor has said there should be no after effects, but like many of you there are indeed after effects weeks later.  My speech is better, but still has some dead spots.  My typing is better, but I still can't see some of the mistakes I make and I type different words than I am thinking.  And I get soooooooo tired soooooooo easy!  

The worst thing is that nobody tells you anything.  I don't know if this is normal, I don't know if I should do anything different or take precautions.  My doctor just said to do as much as you feel like doing.  Try telling that to your boss!
It is certainly interesting to share the experiences of other stroke victims. Information is hard to come by.

I am a very fit 60 year old with no pre-conditions for stroke other than high cholesterol.  However, I suffered an ischemic stroke in September.  It initially took away all my visual processing capacity and my spatial memory and it was associated with an excruciating headache. I soon recovered but I was left with a loss of about 30 per cent of my vision.  I have occasional light-headedness and flushes of numbness which can affect much of my body.  Curiously, when the affected area is touched it returns normal sensations.

Overall, I count myself as being very lucky as it has not unduly handicapped me.  I can still read, watch TV and drive a car.  Walking can be uncomfortable but I swim over a mile most days.

My doctor has suggested that some of my symptoms may be migraine related.  The neurologist has largely been disinterested and did not even bother to look at the scans.

My concerns are similar to those voiced by many others.  It is difficult to know if recurring symptoms, including headaches, are foreshadowing another attack.  The flushes of numbness can be very uncomfortable and are becoming more widespread.  At times they also seem to be affecting my muscle which is new.  The impact on tongue and eyelids are particularly annoying.

I would be interested in knowing if others recovered sight after a stroke.   From what I have read, the numbness seems to be a persistent issue.

All the best.
Due to the difficulty making an accurate diagnosis', Neurologist in general just don't have answers. Some consider themselves right next to God, when you start, doubting or confronting them, that they're missing something and get negative with you. They have to keep the assembly line of patients flowing, so either refer you to another specialist. Since 2009, when I had my series of TIAs and was out of the hospital one day and starting having an excrutiating headache, and sensitivity to lights and sound, so back to the ER I went. Two days in Hospital again and no definitive diagnosis. I see my doctors on a regular basis, the only positive that came out of this was that my GP sent me to a Nephrologist. The Dr. put me on Monoxidil( meds for balding, which I'm not). My BP has been under control since.

I suffer the short term memory loss still, and very lethargic. I'm on 9 meds, which I believe adds to my lethargy. Those two problems alone make my job as a high school teacher very difficult to impossible. My contract year in 08-09 was not renewed. Couldn't find a position until the next teaching year. I didn't want to return to the classroom but I accepted the job mainly for the health insurance. Missed 40 days, mainly due to my back problems, my contract again was not renewed again. At almost 59, I'm going to have a very tough time finding a teaching job or a job period. I do not want to return to the classroom. With my health issues. I've had epidurals, and various other spinal diagnostic test diagnostic test, including Neurotomies for the L5-S1 region, they didn't work. Looks like invasive back surgery next. I'm going to go ahead and apply for a disability retirement through Texas R.S. My worst problem now is my back pain. If I was a horse, at least they would put me down and out of my misery.

Back to residual back problems from my MRI's. I just haven't been as mentally sharp as I was previously. When you have a high school class of 30 students and you have a memory lapse, while lecturing, it's hard to playing it off. I have great emphathy for the people that have had TIA's and their frustrations, when all tests return normal. I'm just as frustrated, tired and depressed as you other victims. Good luck!
JT
Csn u tell me more  because my dad is having the same problems.  Plzzzz.  Reply to my comment
I'm sorry to hear of your fathers medical problems. I actually had a neurologist tell me, that many Drs. still don't fully understand TIAs and long
after effects can continue and if they really exist. Symptoms vary greatly from patient to patient. If you bring up disability applications, many Drs. start back peddling because they don't want to deal with the paperwork. It's a shame, that things have to progress to very negative end results. I'm surprised that more frustrated patients that have menatlly unstable, haven't taken a pistol with them and shoot their specialists. I don't condone this but..............
Male - 25 years old

Glad I found this forum!

I had an experience three weeks ago where my left arm felt heavy, achy and numb. this was followed by the same sensation in my leg and face (left). I realized this wasn't normal and went to A&E. I was kept in the hospital for three days. The numbness lasted a little under 24 hours.

In this time I had blood tests and an MRI scan. All results were clear!

I told the first doctor (who was very helpful) that I work 6 days a week in a stressful job and I drink quite heavily on a weekend. I also told him that I had 'STUPIDLY' taken cocaine once two weeks before I went to hospital. He told me that I was having a mini stroke and the cocaine use was nothing to do with it as it was too long before the event. He then explained that stress and alcohol was probably the main cause.

HOWEVER! - After being moved to a different ward I was discharged from the hospital by a different doctor who told me my tests were all clear and I shouldn't use cocaine! I took this advice on board. The doctor also told me I wasn't allowed to drive for four weeks. The discharge letter that was sent to my house said nothing of a mini stroke. Instead it said I had experienced vasospastic phenomenon and the use of cocaine could be a factor.

Three weeks later I am experiencing the same symptoms as a lot of the people in this discussion. HEAD ACHE, LIGHT HEADED, LACK OF CONCENTRATION, SENSITIVE HEARING, DIARRHEA and TIREDNESS.

I believe what I experienced WAS a mini stroke, I also believe the symptoms I am experiencing are linked. It seems to me that this is a real problem for a lot of people.

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow as I am not happy, and I will be back in the hospital next week for my clinic appointment.

I know I can't give any advice to anyone but I thought it would maybe comfort some people with the same after effects of a mini stroke. I hope you all find the answers you are looking for!
Thank you for that. I had my "suspected" TIA on tuesday or wednesday. I don't do Cocain or even drink and it still got me. I do have (or had) a very stressful job (military) so luckily I can retire soon. All this information says it should have only lasted up to 24 hours. But I went three days before my doctor took real action. She's a great doctor but on the second day of the attack or what ever, when I went to see her for a different reason, I had told her that I was EXTREMELY dizzy and fatigued and she ran some test to see if I was dehidrated and of course, I wasn't. I went back the next day because the symptoms had become worse, that's when she called the ambulance. It's been 5 days and depending on the hour, I get the symptoms back, to include weakness on my left side. I am a diabetic as of last year after I returned from Iraq. I hope everything works out for you and thank you for your post and this forum. I don't want to talk to anyone or my family as to not alarm them. I see my doctor on monday and have many questions, but if I still get the symptoms, I'm just wondering when they "go away". I am 54 years old, not obese, exercise, have good colesterol but just quit smoking the day I got out of the hospital (friday). The big question is "am I part of the 10% that experience a major stroke within 90 days?
Why I am telling you this is because I've led a pretty healthy life for the past 20 years and it still bit me pretty hard. Hang in there.
I can relate and mine happened almost identical to yours with ringing of the ears, next week i am scheduled for a ct scan by my neurologist
thanks for what you have shared, for i thought i was all alone.
sincerely James Juergensen
yahoo e-mail using the same name ok, if you need any support
take care of yourself now
Hi!  Did you have a MRI after the TIA?  I just had my second one and the MRI doesn't show anything.  I have weakness on my left side that I am going to therapy for and she said based on some of her test it appears I could have some vascular issues??  Anyway, just curious how your MRI looked.  Mine shows no sign of foreseable stroke.  
Thanks!!
Had all the symptoms of a mini stroke. Name it, I experienced it. Arrived at ER and they ran a series of tests, told me to smile and said I was drooping in my weak side, (one side was almost limp, ARM and leg) and did a scan to see if I was showing bleeding in the brain. Nothing was found so they told me and my wife they had a clot busting drug that could save or kill me in so many words. I weighed my options and had them administer the drug. I was air lifted to a better facility as it was given and the rest given in the chopper on the way. I began getting use of my hand and leg ten minutes into the trip . After arriving at the better equipped hospital, I began to see a little improvement. Everyone in the room said I had obviously had a stroke. No doubt. They kept telling me to try to squeeze two of their fingers every few hours as well as multiple other tests. I was progressing slowly until the third to four hour and suddenly started seeing rapid improvement. By 7 in the morning, (started at 5 or so the previous day) I was 90% back to strength. I was so happy. During the night several tests, scans etc were done and each doctor, neurology doctor etc said it was an obvious stroke based off symptoms and other factors. Later in the day I did more tests but was told the following day that nothing was found on any if the tests. Cf scan, mri etc showed nothing. The third day I was almost 100% strength in my limbs but when I went to walk with the therapist, I made one short trip down hall and was weak as a kitten....still had full use of previously limp limbs but very tired and weak. Could not function weak. She said I didnt need therapy based off my walk and left. Later the nutologist came in and said nothing was wrong with me. Then later the admitting doctor said the same Jung, that I was ready to be let go and could go back to work etc immediately....I told him I was getting so weak after only a few steps. He said I was fine and to go home . How can this be in this case that everyone from the admitting ER team to the best doctors all said obvious stroke but when nothing turned up on scans, they wanted to send me home and say I was fine??? I did have members of my church come in and pray with me and I know the power of God can do all things. Perhaps that is the reason. I just wanted to know if there is anything that may have mimiced a stroke to this level that would completely reverse and show no sign or physical damage as this did?
One night when I went to bed I woke up and seen black spots in my center vision (I could see pereferally), I blinked a few times and it went away.  About a week later I was again sleeping and woke up and looked up and there was a veil of black cobweb-like lace coming down over my vision, again, I blinked a couple of times and it went away.  I went to the opthalmologist and he dismissed it as my floaters.  This past week again while I was sleeping, I woke up and my eyes were so blurry it felt like they were crossed! I blinked them a bunch of times and finally my vision came back! I went to the opthalmologist the next day and he said my eyes are fine and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and he's actually never heard of that before. So I've been researching online (which isn't always the best thing to do) and I've come up with retinal problems or TIA! I didn't have any other symptoms of TIA, just the blurred vision and blind spots that clear up a few seconds later. I'm scared I'm missing the signs for TIA and I'll have a full blown stroke soon!
I'm not sure if I had a TIA last night and need some insight. Last night I went to sleep at around 920pm then i woke up around 10:00pm because i had to use the restroom suddenly, as I was sitting on the toilet I felt extremely dizzy and had a vertigo type feeling. I peed for a lot longer than usual and my ears felt blocked with ringing. Also my left side went completely weak. My face never drooped bu if felt like it did. I'm not sure if this was caused by dizziness from getting up to fast, anxiety or a TIA. I don't have medical insurance and I'm no sure if i should go talk to a doctor anyway.  The symptoms lasted for a couple of minuets and then went away. Im not sure as to why i would be having this problem. I am 23 less then 100ibs and around 5'6. I have no known medical problems and I dont have high blood pressure. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be. Its making me very stressed and nervous.
Please stop the drinking! Before my stroke I had also started having intolerance for beer. After 1 sip sometimes I would feel crazy drunk, but kept sipping anyone. I wonder if I had quit drinking and smoking could I have prevented stroke.
Hello, I don't know what is wrong with me.  The left side of my body went numb and went to sleep.  I went to my dr who sent me to the er room.  They did tests on me but was unable to determine what was wrong with me due to all the tests coming back clear.  I will be having an eeg in a couple of days.  My problem is that I'm having a hard time talking and my body tires easily what do I do and how do I handle this situation?  I am unable to work and unable to go to school :/
This post may be a little late in coming, but I was discharged from the hospital this past Friday after suffering what they think was a TIA. Echo showed increased pressure in my heart, but no explanation from Dr (no insurance for me), and mild plaque in carotid artery. I'm on the cardiac diet, baby aspirin per day, and cholesterol meds.  I also have a leaky mitral valve.

Anyway, Some things can certainly be 'in your head,' but I was reading some of your 'after' symptoms... and mine are identical.  Maybe it's not all in our heads.  Not sure.  But this is scary. I know that the TIA I apparently had was incredibly frightening and I still have dizzy bouts days after, shortness of breath (ongoing for a while).. and chest pain that has that right side component you were speaking of.  also, My brain is SO not working correctly.

I recorded the awful sounds my lungs make when exhaling sometimes (never have smoked) and my dr asked me to play it for her (it's on my iPhone).. she handed me my purse and I opened it.. took out my wallet, opened it.. and couldn't figure out for the life of me what I was supposed to get out of it... that's just ONE example. I can't think.  I mess up my words terribly.  Short term memory is SO shot.

I hope this can be resolved.. for all of us... in good time.

Blessings all.
The Medical community can stick to that definition of temporary if they want, but I am sure it is incorrect, from my own experience and from reading ALL the comments over the years on this post...Symptoms can obviously persist or worsen. I had a TIA six months ago and am still struggling with short term memory loss, and communication problems. I had near photographic memory prior to TIA, so this is a huge loss for me. In Communication specifically, I can think of what I want to say but it takes a long time to form words, the words come out in the wrong order or complete words are dyslexic. Unfortunately for all my relationships, I also can't stop myself from saying exactly what I am thinking and its as if I have lost the filter of common sense. HUGE problem in business and relationships. If I drink alcohol it becomes worse and if I am under stress. Now signs of depression and anxiety are creeping in and its actually all getting worse instead of better.  There really is no FIX for my symptoms....:(
So glad I found this forum, I experienced severe numbness down left arm and body last Tuesday morning this lasted for less than a minute, thought I had a mini stroke, went to my GP who done a ECG test on me which came up clear, she then sent me to hospital who then done more tests ECG, Heart and Lung Xray on Tues afternoon they came back clear, Had a CAT Scan on Wednesday which has also come back clear. Was sent home yesterday with the explanation that they now think it was due to nerve damage on my neck.an injury from 12 years ago.....mmm ..I am not convinced after reading all these posts , I relate to so many of you. What I did tell them that as a very fit 54 year old woman who never was breathless before suddenly becomes breathless whilst walking and having severe pain in the back of my head when I stand up but they seemed to disregard this ....What I am finding today is that I am exhausted and can only seem to manage to move around for a half hour or so and have to sit down again...This cant be right...