Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Help in locating a Dr. for botox treatment of TMJ

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

I clench my jaw in my sleep. I even catch myself doing it during the day. My doctor told me that I clenched because my bite was off, so I wore braces for 3 1/2 years to re-align my jaw. That didn't work. I am now on my 2nd mouth guard. I find that the guard makes my clenching worse (I got the 2nd one because my current doctor said the 1st must have been poorly fitted. Wrong!). I am convinced that botox is my only hope to loosen my jaw muscles and stop my clenching. My problem is, I can't find a doctor. How do I locate a doctor in North Carolina who administers botox for TMJ/bruxism? I live in Raleigh, but I'm willing to drive some distance, if necessary.
Tags: bruxism, botox, TMJ
When Botox is administered to neuromuscular junction, it makes the muscle stop contraction, the effect lasts about 6 months. However, I do'nt think botox is a good treatment of choice. A well made occlusal appliance can eliminate jaw clenching and masseter muscle relax almost instantly. Seeing a tmj specialist who can deliver an effective occlusal appliance is advised.
scottma is correct.  You need a thorough diagnosis by a competent TMJ specialist.  Botox is treating a symptom, not the cause.  People don't clench just because there bite is off.  Your 'bite' is off because something anatomically has changed in most cases.  That is the deeper underlying problem that needs to be found and treated.