Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Novocain injected into jaw muscle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Novocain injected into jaw muscle?

I went to the dentist six days ago to get a filling. It was in the upper left side of my mouth. When the dentist gave me a shot to numb the area, I immediately felt pain on the entire left side of my face, from my eye down to my lower jaw. Shortly after that, she mentioned swelling in my left jaw and that the muscle felt different on that side than my right jaw. It is now almost a week later, and though the swelling has gone down some, I still have swelling and soreness in my jaw. Is it possible that she injected the medicine into my jaw muscle? If so, is it possible that I will have permanent damage from this? There feels like I have a hump in that muscle. Will it ever go away?
I sure hope it does get better (if it hasn't by now).  I was wondering with your description if she hit a nerve with the injection.