Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Serious pain in upper jaw

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Serious pain in upper jaw

Is it possible that the pain I have been experiencing, which was diagnosed as TMJ, is arthritis?  I am at my wits end.  I am taking a ridiculous amount of pain killers (prescribed) every 4 hours and its barely touching the pain.  

I have been to my dentist.  He says my teeth, nerves, and gums are all fine.  There is alot of swelling in the upper left gum and that is where the pain is.  From my jaw radiating out to the middle of my upper jaw.  Sometimes it feels like its my teeth that hurt.  Sometimes it feels like its my jaw that hurts.  

Its 6 months today since the pain started.  This morning I woke up and discovered I was having tissue loss in my gums.  Top and bottom.  I would run my fingers inside my mouth along the gums and would come out with quite a bit of tissue.

What is going on?  I dont know where else to turn.
Gum swelling is generally not a manefestation of temporomandibular disorder. Seeing a periodontist and tmj specialist is advised.