Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
TMJ or sinus infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

TMJ or sinus infection?

I've been having facial pain and pressure for the last couple weeks that is sometimes mainly in my jaw joints (particularly the left side) but at other times mainly along my cheek bones (on both sides, not just the left).  I'll wake up one day and have my jaw joint hurting (especially when I open my mouth) and not much pain in my cheeks, and then the next day I won't have much pain in my jaw joint but a lot of pain in my cheeks.  I've also had a lot of sensitivity to light, occasional feelings of pressure in my forehead, a little bit of soreness and popping in my ears, and occasional mild fevers (e.g. 99.2 or 99.3 degrees) with associated headache.  I've had some mucus in my throat, but that started several weeks before the facial pain, so I have no idea if it is related.

I previously had what seemed like TMJ disorder, with a lot of popping in my jaws and migrane (migraine)-like symptoms, but that seemed to get better after few months once I stopped chewing gum.  At the time, my right jaw joint was much worse than the left, but right now the left jaw joint has been much worse than the right (but again, when the pain is in my cheeks it is on both sides, not just the left).  I also have been diagnosed as grinding my teeth at night and have a "night guard" that I wear.  I'm not sure if my pain is more likely due to a sinus infection or more likely due to a return of TMJ problems, and whether it would be better to get my primary care doctor to treat it or my dentist.  If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.
Seeing a competent tmj specialist and ent is advised.