Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
TMJ progress to disabilitating status

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

TMJ progress to disabilitating status

I've seen a specialist, it was in 2009 and had x-rays and mri. I was told that i have very little cartilage in my left joint and none in my right. I was in much pain for about 4 years before. I started the planned process of splints and then I reached the point to start wearing the night time double splint until I left it out on the bed one day and came home to it chewed up. I had to stop my treatment because I couldn't keep up with the bills since my insurance doesn't cover it and I coulnd't pay the 1000 to replace my night time splint. So in early 2010 I had to stop all treatment. Since then I still have major head neck and shoulder pain. My jaw feels like it is constantly clenched and I can't stand the pain in my ears and my sensitivity to sound and even light. I am basically a shut in now. In bed all of the time in pain and sometimes it gets so bad that I feel like I want to carve out my ears, if anyone can relate to that?? I have a few questions. Is there anything I can do being that I don't have funds, I'm basically in the negative everyweek and that in itself causes more stress which seems to make everything worse. Is there any kind of treatment that is covered by insurance? Also, the last couple of days I have a changed sensation in my ears. My ears normally hurt deep within and are super sensitive to sound and certain sounds are unbearable but now my ears feel stuffy and my left ear is leaky??? At the same time both sides of my jaw are just throbbing pain along with my whole head and my eyes. Can this kind of pain be cause by my tmj problem. Can anyone offer any suggestions to relieve this pain or get some kind of help through insurance?? ANY HELP welcome
I noticed no one answered yet... Some other options are injections I think, cortisone for pain? and maybe "irrigation" I've heard, it sounds like something has to be done from the inside.
Hi Laura -- I hope you've found some relief by now, but here are some ideas.

Ice your jaw and you should probably take some anti-inflammatory med.  Your tmj is obviously in an acute state.  

If you have health insurance, go see a doctor that is open to sending you to physical therapy.  Don't let the doc write tmj in diagnosis as many insurances will kick that to dental insurance, which doesn't pay much.

I recently had an extreme flare up, too. My doc wrote that I had myo fascial pain of neck and head.  PT has been helpful.

Also, chiropractic can help -- but I find that better as a way to keep it in check and less effective when it's very active.  I see you live in Romulus.  You have a very good chiropractor near the high school -- Jeremy Shaft.  I have been seeing his parents (both chiros) for 20+ years, and Jeremy has treated me a few times, too.