Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
What doctor to see for jaw pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

What doctor to see for jaw pain?

I've had some jaw pain recently, and from what I've seen on google, I probably have TMJ disorder.  

So would a general dentist be the best doctor for this?  Do all general dentists have expertise with TMJ?
Hi! I've dealt with TMJ for several years, and it is important to find a doctor who actually treats it! For the first several years I had a maxillofacial surgeon and when i moved I found a dentist who specialized in TMJ.
The reason why this is important is that they will understand the need for speciliazed splints to reduce harm to the jaw, and also be able to properly medicate, measure the progress and damage to the joint, and see if surgery(rarely) is needed. Try calling all dentists in your and specifically asking if they are TMJ speciliazed, or look for a surgeon. As a last resort, use a MD to treat your symptoms, as a regular dentist will not be much help at all!
Go to American Academy of Craniofacial Pain website and you will find a referral area of dentists who have specialized training in TMD.  If possible find someone near you that has a Fellowship or Diplomate level as they are highy experienced.  Most are general dentists, some orthodontist, and a few oral surgeons.  Oral surgeons don't deal with the primary treatment of TMD problems very often.  Hope that is helpful.
I was hin the side of my jaw by my dog about 6 months ago and this threw my jaw out of alignment about 1/4 inch.  I went to my dentist to make sure it was not broken and he sent me to a TMJ Dr.  This cost me $350 up front.  Then the TMJ dr. sent me to get full set of x rays.  Another $300 up front.  After reviewing the x rays, the TMJ dr. wants me to pay  him $5,500 for an appliance for my bottom teeth.  This seems a bit outrageous to me.  Any suggestions?
I have jaw pain ear pain and neck pain.  The ear pain is really bad.  what can i do for it. Marcie