Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Bilateral multi nodular enlargement of the thyroid.

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

My mom was recently diagnosed with bilateral multinodular enlargement of the thyroid with some calcifications seen on the ultrasound scan, the isthmus is also involved, there is no compression of the neck vessels. Can someone please tell me what this all means. The doctor wants to go and do surgery but i need to find out if that's the best way to go or if there are other options and the prognosis. She is 53 yrs old.
Thank you.
The indications for surgery are usually large nodules/goiter causing symptoms (trouble breathing/swallowing/hoarseness) OR an FNA biopsy that is potentially suspicious for cancer.  Would see an endocrinologist who does his/her own ultrasound to see which nodules need FNA biopsy and to sort out if surgery is really needed.