Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Decrease in Thyroid lobe size???

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Decrease in Thyroid lobe size???

I had an ultrasound at the end of September after a multinodular enlarged thyroid was noted in a CT test I had because of a "stuck in the throat" feeling.  I was also in the midst of trying to battle a bad tooth infection which resulted in extraction.  I was on antibiotics almost straight through Sept and October.  The fine needle biopsy was benign.   I had a thyroid scan/uptake December 4th.  

OK...so here are the questions. Is it fair to compare the measurements of an ultrasound with a thryoid scan? If so, do the first two measurement per lobe of the ultrasound compare with the first two of the thyroid scan?  If it is the first two sizes of the ultrasound and the measurements could fairly be compared, does it make sense that my thyroid size seems to be decreasing by a slight amount??  Here are the measurements.  

Ultrasound - Right thryoid lobe - 5.0 cm long x 2.0 x 1.7; Left Thryoid lobe - 8 cm long x 4 x 3.4 cm diameter
Thyroid Scan - Right thyroid lobe - 4.1 x 2.1 cm; Left thyroid lobe - 7.0 x 3.0 cm.  
Tags: Thyroid size
The ultrasound is probably better.  I would not try to compare or read into these discrepancies too much.