Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Fingernails indicative of thyroid problems?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fingernails indicative of thyroid problems?

I have been on Synthroid and Thyroid (Armour) for hypothyroidism for two years.  I have very weak, thin, finger nails that break or split horizontally and/or vertically, moons only on my thumb and 1st fingers, multiple thin ridges going up and down on my nail beds & a few fingernails that are flat or bend under.
I also have mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation - grade 3. Are my fingernails indicative of either my thyroid or heart problem?
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Nail changes may be thyroid -- it takes months for them to improve even with normal thyroid levels -- which I hope has been achieved on Synthroid/Armour.

Nailbed problems may also be other chronic disease -- in the case of heart valve problems there is something called "splinter hemorrhage" which is dark spots in the nailbed from endocarditis (infection of the valve) -- usually these patients are quite sick and have a fever.

Consider, in addition to a multivitamin, a vitamin formulation specifically for hair/nails/skin.
3 Comments
Blank
I had the very same issues with my nails when my thyroid was out of wack especially hyper.
What was your last lab results?
Blank
Haven't had my levels check in over a year, but considering some other symptom I have, I suspect my thyroid is hyper.
Blank
A related discussion, fingernails was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now