Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hair Loss/Itching and Burning Scalp

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Hair Loss/Itching and Burning Scalp

Dear Dr. Lupo,

I was hoping that you may be able to answer some questions I have about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  I was finally diagnosed with this disease two weeks ago.  Prior to the diagnosis, there was no answer to the considerable hair loss I have been experiencing, along with severe itching and burning scalp, every day for the past 7 months.  As I write this note to you I am in absolute misery.  I have been prescribed synthroid 50 mcg and have been taking this for two weeks; yesterday my dosage was increased to 75 mcg.  I wanted to know if the hair loss/itching and burning scalp is a symptom of Hashimoto's, and if it is, will it ever stop?  I was prescribed Xyzal 5mg for the itching, but it does not work.  I have been concerned with further hair loss as a side effect of synthroid, and was wondering if it is possible to treat Hashimoto's with just cytomel.  I would be so grateful if you could give me some insight and advice to my problems...I am barely living right now.  Thank you so much!
Hair loss and scalp burning is not specific to Hashimoto's -- meaning it may or may not be related.  The best we can do from a thyroid standpoint is replace with levothyroxine (and sometimes in conjunction with T3 - cytomel - but not cytomel alone) to keep the TSH in target (0.3-.2.5 in general for patients on replacement).   If the symptoms are related, they will likely improve -- but it may take 2-3 months....