Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Hypothyroidism, anxiety, and benzodiazapines -HELP.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hypothyroidism, anxiety, and benzodiazapines -HELP.

Hello - I've struggled with anxiety and depression for many years. About 12 years ago I was prescribed a large amount of Klonopin (9mgs daily) for years.  About 1 year ago began a slow taper off of the benzodiazapines.  I am about 85% of the way off of the benzos.  I have also been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and have taken synthroid and now generic levothyroxin (levothyroxine) for that.  My anxiety is tremendous, racing heart, hypersensitive to heat (I sweat enormously without any physical exertion), tremors, muscle aches.   I wonder if the hypothyroidism can increase anxiety beyond just the anxiety from the slow taper off of the benzos.  I would like some relief.  It is hard to get good medical answers as well to whether the hypothyroidism could be making my anxiety and sweating worse, whether there is a drug interaction between benzodiazepines and thyroid replacement meds (e.g., leading to "over medication" of the thyroid replacement?) and/or whether the benzodiazepine use could have contributed to my hypothyroidism, etc.  any thoughts would be appreciated.  I could use a little relief, especially from the racing heart and terrible sweating of my head, face and neck.   Thanks so much!
97953_tn?1193367871
There is not a drug-drug interaction.  Both hyper and hypothyroid can cause/worsen anxiety so keeping the TSH normal is important.  Your symptoms may be from benzodiazepine withdrawal.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank