Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
I have 0.08 TSH, what to do?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have 0.08 TSH, what to do?
I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and my TSH is 0.08.

The doctor told me that usually the thyroid over active during pregnancy, but I am already 20 weeks and the level should've gone down a lot.

I am currently taking PTU but it doesn't seem to be helping my TSH. It is still very high. This is so frustrating. I don't know what do to?

The key in pregnancy is keeping the T4 and T3 in the upper end of normal.  Often the TSH will remain a bit low and this is fine.  We try to minimize the PTU dose and new guidelines suggest using methimazole rather than PTU after the first trimester.  For mild cases, anti-thyroid drugs are often not needed.
any advice anyone??????
Thank you for your answer.

I do have one more concern. I am feeling extreme nervousness/anxiety right now ever since since my thyroid became overactive. It is so extreme that I haven't been sleeping for the past few weeks.

I never had thyroid problems before I became pregnancy, so I'm pretty sure this is caused by my pregnancy.

Is there anything I can do about this? I've been drinking chamomile tea, almond milk, and all that to try and relax myself but nothing seems to be working. My nervousness is so severe that I am actually feeling claustrophobic where I have to open all the doors and windows.