Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Low T 4, High T3, Normal TSH

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Low T 4, High T3, Normal TSH

.My question is if I should have further testing and If you would concider the results of my previous test as me being Hypothyroidism. I want to get as much information before I discuss this with my doctor. My TSH is 1.96 , in Sept 2011 it was 1.42. This is the first time I'v had the Free T4 and Free T3 Test. My Free T4 is .86 and my Freet T3 is 5.2. My Vitamin D 25-OH Total is 24.9. My Cholesterol before taking medication use to run about 450 (total) . My Triglycerides are 80, HDL are 51, Total Cholesterol is 184 and LDL Cholesterol (CALC) is 117.  What questions should I ask and should I have other tests performed. I recently had a brother die from Liver and Pancritis Cancer and Previously had throat cancer a couple of years ago. Im not sure if it was Thyroid Cancer and they called it throat cancer. Any asstance with this is greatly apprecitated.
.My Symptoms are dry skin, brittle nails, Aches and  joint pain I contributed to getting older (55). A lot lower metabolisim then before. Weight gain, I can't seem to lose even though I have been dieting and trying to exercise. I'v noticed that my eyes lids have been puffy.. thought maybe I must be retaining water.  I'v taken premerin for 24 years .625mg. Simivastatin 20mg.  Some times my Cholesterol is good taking the Simivastatin and other times it is still high and the dr. thinks about increasing it. My Lab ranges were all normal this time. The lab test before this had a MPV of 6.2. Cholesterol 261, Triglycerides 223. HDL 40. Also the only other lab test that flags anything is that my platelet count is in the high range and has gotten up to 488 in the past. This last time it was 347 before that 321.

The TSH readings are normal.  This does not exclude a nodule or thyroid cancer, but it does not look like you have hypothyroidism.  Cholesterol meds can cause aches/pains as can lowish Vit D (like yours).  would make sure Calcium is normal.
The thyroid levels are normal.  You have low Vit D and probably insulin resistance (metabolic syndrome) -- these should be focused.