Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Lymph nodes And Hashimoto's

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Lymph nodes And Hashimoto's

I have two enlarged lymph nodes on the left side of my neck that have been there for about 2 months. My Endo sent me to an ENT Dr and she wants me to get a CT scan. I really don't want to expose myself to radiation if I don't have to. Is it possible that these nodes are related to my Hasimoto's? Do you think I would look silly to ask for an ultrasound instead? I don't really have any other symptoms aside from normal things I would attribute to my hypothyroidism-- fatigue, muscle aches, and a stuffy nose (but it's winter so...) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hashimoto's can cause lymph node enlargement.
Ultrasound is a very good way to look at lymph nodes without radiation.
I meant to mention I also did a week on amoxicillin, no help...
It's unlikely that they're related to Hashimoto's. Do you have enlarged tonsils or a history of tonsillitis?

I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck and did get a CT scan and MRI. My ENT is considering my tonsils to be the problem, but wants to do an FNA on one of the surface lymph nodes to determine what the cause of the chronic enlargement is. If you'd rather not have a CT scan due to the radiation, ask your ENT if you can have an MRI, instead.
it's funny you're in this situation because i have the same issue every time i get my yearly thyroid/neck ultrasound.  i always have numerous 1-2 cm lymph nodes that show up on the ultrasound.  none of them look "suspicous" on ultrasound, but there's a lot of them and the size is somewhat large.  endo always wants me to see ent doc to get evaluated.  ent gets frustrated because the ultrasound never gives specifics as to where the large lymph are located.  it's frustrating.  i've been dealing with this for the last three years, and i know the same thing will happen this year when i get thyroid ultrasound.

i just wish ONE doctor would evaluate the lymph nodes instead of traveling to different doctors...it's crazy.  but i guess each doctor has their own specialty...

i've gotten the mri and ct.  the mri supposedly isn't as useful as the ct with contrast.  i would ask for the ultrasound first. don't they do ultrasounds anyways since you have hashis?  i get one yearly because of the lymph nodes and because i have a nodule.

if they insist on the ct, you might as well get it and get it over with.  at least then you'll know and you'll have a baseline.

are the nodes in upper neck?  lower neck?  how long have you had hashis?

hope this helps.

maria